Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
operatorchan.org
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at flak jackets at a garage sale a while ago, but they were over priced and falling apart. But then I thought to myself that they are so thick that a tazer prong couldn't penetrate it. So, Would an old flack jacket, or even a modern ballistic vest stop a tazer?

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
I was looking at flak jackets at a garage sale a while ago, but they were over priced and falling apart. But then I thought to myself that they are so thick that a tazer prong couldn't penetrate it. So, Would an old flack jacket, or even a modern ballistic vest stop a tazer?
Make a waistcoat outa an old leather biker jacket. It works.

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
I'd like to see this theory put to the test.
Did it with the hand tazer.The leather stops it. We used to wear heavy leather to stop knives, so I cant see a tazer doing much. If you want proof, get a bit of year old thick leather and try n stick a knife through it.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
You plan on doing something wrong? Why dont you just avoid the cops. Best way to not get tazed is to not do anything to get you in that spot. Now as for after SHTF I would not let them get that close to me.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
It should the prongs on the X26(the most common) are 1/4 inch or so. If it is thicker than that you should be ok. Even if it did penatrate the skin, I would think the weight of the vest moving around would pull them out soon as you started to go horizontal.
Are you expecting to get tazed. As LEO are really the only people carrying around tazers, (or gals in fear of getting rapped)I got wounder a bit why the ? was asked. Sorry to ask the question but it is in my nature.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
Who would be? That is why I was asking the question. Sorry to offend you but seemed llike a odd thing to just want to know for the heck of it.:) Why no tazers for your police? Now days they are pretty much standard issue. Dont leave home without mine:thumb: PS seems I am not the only person whos radar went off after reading your thread.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
I think it would depend on how far from you the officer is
Nope. Standard length of wires is (if I remember 20-30 feet) really no change in velocity at that distance. Factor is really probe lenghts and if the will still make contact with skin. Also data for hand tasers is irrelevant these only use contact and are much less effective with barriers.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Who would be? That is why I was asking the question. Sorry to offend you but seemed llike a odd thing to just want to know for the heck of it.:) Why no tazers for your police? Now days they are pretty much standard issue. Dont leave home without mine:thumb: PS seems I am not the only person whos radar went off after reading your thread.
Guys, it's a very legitimate question...What if he lives in a place that doesn't allow handguns to be carried concealed (or open), you know some foreign country like Washington, D.C., Chicago, Ill. or San Francisco, Calif. and he wants something to protect himself with...

Yes, a thick enough leather or even cloth jacket will stop any and every model of TASER® made, the proviso being that the prongs don't contact your skin and hence your nerves...

Please note that the prongs have to be in deep enough, just resting against the skin won't cause shutdown also and the most important fact, both prongs must be in contact with the skin--it has to form a circuit, otherwise it will do nothing but drain the battery...

Whether you're at 5, 10 or 20 feet from the unit or target the charge will be the same as it has to travel through the same length of wire to get there...Shorter, or longer, wires will bring an insignificant increase, or decrease, to the felt charge...

Oh, you should know that many police depts are phasing (excuse the pun) them out because of the number of deaths that they have caused or they have changed the ROE (Rules of Engagement) drastically where only in extreme situations the TASER will be employed...Too many pigs were using them as torture devices -- like when someone would talk back to them, which really didn't help the matter for real police officers...

A mild SNAFU, Taser is an acronym, and is spelled TASER, named for a fictional weapon: Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle...You can tase or be tased or he tases but TASER is in capitals just like SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) should be...SNAFU (Situation Normal: All FUC*ed Up (For Uncommon Carnal Knowledge) are also acronym.....

·
Registered
388 Posts
You plan on doing something wrong? Why dont you just avoid the cops. Best way to not get tazed is to not do anything to get you in that spot. Now as for after SHTF I would not let them get that close to me.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/05/07/golf-fan-tasered-arrested-players-championship/

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2009/08/old-guy-gets-tasered-in-oakland-natch

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36974092/ns/sports-baseball/

I feel that the TASER is becoming more and more a preferred method for authorities to deal with any situation. It's non-lethal, right? No lasting side effects? No reason not to just jolt someone into submission.

At least with things like rubber bullets or bean-bags we didn't hear of them being used constantly.

·
Canuck
526 Posts
FWIW; in the RCMP any way tasers are only supposed to be used with "lethal oversight" Which means one guy with a gun pointed and another with a taser.

or at least the new ammended use of force chart, and my dad (former instructor) convey.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Guys, it's a very legitimate question...What if he lives in a place that doesn't allow handguns to be carried concealed (or open), you know some foreign country like Washington, D.C., Chicago, Ill. or San Francisco, Calif. and he wants something to protect himself with...

Yes, a thick enough leather or even cloth jacket will stop any and every model of TASER® made, the proviso being that the prongs don't contact your skin and hence your nerves...

Please note that the prongs have to be in deep enough, just resting against the skin won't cause shutdown also and the most important fact, both prongs must be in contact with the skin--it has to form a circuit, otherwise it will do nothing but drain the battery...

Whether you're at 5, 10 or 20 feet from the unit or target the charge will be the same as it has to travel through the same length of wire to get there...Shorter, or longer, wires will bring an insignificant increase, or decrease, to the felt charge...

Oh, you should know that many police depts are phasing (excuse the pun) them out because of the number of deaths that they have caused or they have changed the ROE (Rules of Engagement) drastically where only in extreme situations the TASER will be employed...Too many pigs were using them as torture devices -- like when someone would talk back to them, which really didn't help the matter for real police officers...

A mild SNAFU, Taser is an acronym, and is spelled TASER, named for a fictional weapon: Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle...You can tase or be tased or he tases but TASER is in capitals just like SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) should be...SNAFU (Situation Normal: All FUC*ed Up (For Uncommon Carnal Knowledge) are also acronym.....
I'm not sure how to break up a quote to reply in sections so I will reply to the quote, then to the OP. There is some misinformation. My information is based on being certified with a Taser, and having been tased several times myself. My information is for the newer tasers, which use a specially designed 50,000 volt pulse to overload your nervous system and incapacitate you (the M26, X26 (c), and the X3), not the obsolete tasers, and stun guns, that work off pain compliance. The quote may be correct about the older devices.

A newer taser actually begins delivering the charge before the probes make contact with your skin, approximately an inch out. You don't feel the barbs, because your nervous system is already locked up before they penetrate. A taser will arc across a minimum of 2" of total open space. The effects you will receive from both barbs being embedded in your bare back is indistinguishable from if they were taped to the outside of you clothes, and is also indistinguishable from both barbs being embedded in a standard level IIIA bullet resistant vest.

Clothing is not a good conductor, unless it is wet anyway. Your flesh is a very good conductor due to the large amount of water in it. If the barbs are able to get close enough to your flesh, that the total space between both probes and your skin adds up to around 2 inches or less, then the path of least resistance will be for it to arc from the probe to you, pass through your flesh, then arc back to the other probe. You will be incapacitated. If one probe connects to you but the other misses you will be fine, as long as no part of your body comes within 2 inches of the other probe, or touch the wire. If that happens when the taser is going through it's 5 second cycle, you will receive the shock and be incapacitated, for the rest of the cycle.

The wires are insulated to a degree, but if the wires get crossed to much the unit can short out, and if you touch both wires while an active cycle is occurring, you will get it.

When you get tased, it does hurt, but at least for me it was hard to concentrate on the pain part. What got me the most was the panic part. Because the taser overrides your nervous system, your brain cannot receive or send signals to your vital functions. Your brain cannot tell if you are breathing, or if your heart is beating, and you are overcome with a panicking feeling. Once it's over it's over, no after effects, no residual pain. If the barbs are removed right after the cycle ends you don't even feel them come out. The first one I didn't feel at all, the second one felt like a hair getting pulled out. The only "lasting effect" I received from any time I was tased was when the wires were taped to the outside of my shirt, there was a gap between the shirt and my skin, which caused the cycle to arc through my shirt, across the gap, and into me. Later that day a blister came up. The only point of the barb is to hold the probe in place.

Taser is having trouble making enough tasers to keep up with demand. If there is actually a department going away from tasers due to problems with misuse then that department has much bigger problems that getting rid of the tasers won't fix. Tasers are a tool, and just like any tool, if they are used as designed and intended they are completely safe. No one has ever been killed by a taser, they get killed because some dumb a$$ tases them while they are on the roof, causing them to fall off, or the happen to hit their head on a bench wrong when they fall, or they are repeatedly tased so much that they suffocate due to not being able to breath during the repeated cycles. Tasers are still the safest use of force available, and has been repeatedly shown to decrease injuries, to both the public and officers. If used properly the person should be at least half handcuffed, by the time the 5 second cycle is complete. Even an officer by their self should be able to gain control of most situations within 2 cycles, if a connection. My departments policy is to close with the subject as soon as the probes hit, hopefully getting a hold of them before they fall, and handcuffing them before the cycle is over.

The only reliable way to defeat a taser is Thor Shield, which is a thin, flexible highly conductive fabric which causes the path of least resistance to be through the layer. It is most commonly applied to bullet resistant vests, but could be made into any garment. It only works if both probes come close to the layer. If one hits the layer and the other finds skin, it will get you.

The only other reliable way would be to wear enough clothing that each barb stays at least an inch and a half from your flesh, which is impracticable.

The blast doors on Taser cartridges are color coated according to their range, the barb length on the probe, and their deployment angle.

Yellow: 15', standard barb
Silver: 21', standard barb
Green: 25', long barb
Orange 35', long barb, narrow deployment angle

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.