·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worst advice I’ve heard:
“All you need is a .22, it’s just good enough.”
“Buy the absolute most expensive firearm, ammo and accessories possible.”
“If you carry a gun, no need to bother carrying a knife.”
“If you’re not carrying a Kimber, don’t carry at all.” (P220 > any Kimber and most 1911s IMO)
“.40 S&W is the best cartridge out there.”
“.45 Auto is antiquated.”
“9x19mm is too small.”
“Carry the biggest caliber possible.”
“Only carry a revolver, they’re more reliable than semi-autos.”
“Never carry hollow points, they’re more lethal and a jury will rake you over the coals if you go to trial.”

·
Cat and parrot whisperer
1,233 Posts
Worst advice I’ve heard:
“All you need is a .22, it’s just good enough.”
“Buy the absolute most expensive firearm, ammo and accessories possible.”
“If you carry a gun, no need to bother carrying a knife.”
“If you’re not carrying a Kimber, don’t carry at all.” (P220 > any Kimber and most 1911s IMO)
“.40 S&W is the best cartridge out there.”
“.45 Auto is antiquated.”
“9x19mm is too small.”
“Carry the biggest caliber possible.”
“Only carry a revolver, they’re more reliable than semi-autos.”
“Never carry hollow points, they’re more lethal and a jury will rake you over the coals if you go to trial.”
To me about the worst advice I've seen has been advising women to grip their car keys between their knuckles and use that to punch an attacker in the eye or throat. Throw in with that, using a knee to the groin. Just highly impractical for the average woman (or man really) without a LOT of training and even then upper body strength is a factor.

·
Deplorable
1,971 Posts

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I double denounce "All you need to defend yourself is to take my $1000 judo class. and sleepy Joes "All you ever need is a double barrel shotgun to shoot a couple shots in the air. Even crooks can count to two.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,817 Posts
I heard some "experts" years say ago that if a woman is going to be raped just lay there, let them do it and do not attempt to fight, that way you'll live through it. Ugh, no, over my dead body or their's.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Every woman’s Saturday afternoon self defense class ever.

Their absolutely stupid technique for breaking out of a bear hug - stomp foot, shoot arms out, drop body weight, escape underneath, spin around, knee to the groin, finger to the eyes and run away... works every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 127 Posts