Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife just called. Some guy says he got our mail from the IRS.

She didn't get his name as he was on his cell phone. So I did a reverse cell look up and the guy is in a Town so poor, so laden with crime, I honest to God never go there unless I am well armed.

I am expecting a check. A big check.

The guy isn't returning my phone calls either...

I don't want to have to deal with this. I don't want to drive through some Ghetto to pick up a check my dumb ass Government is to incompetent to deliver.

Either way I loose, and the Post master is absolutely ZERO help.

How do you politely ask a potential Gang Banging thug to give you, a clean cut white guy, your check that's worth more than his car?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Maybe you should contact the IRS . I know from dealing with them they are pretty rude and obnoxious . But , maybe they could put a stop payment on the check and send you another . It's worth a try .
I wouldn't try to get the check from the guy . Even if you are armed and have other people with you . You will be surrounded !IMO , thats just asking for trouble .
If you have to go there and get the check from the guy , maybe it would be wise to contact the cops and see if they can or will help .

·
Blessed
648 Posts
Why would you want a physical check?

Call the IRS and tell them you haven't received the check, they should issue you another one.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Suzanne

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
Go armed, concealed if its legal if you're worried.

If he gives you trouble, I might offer to give him $10 for being a nice guy (try to turn that around). IF that doesn't work....

I get a feeling that refusing to relinquish mail that is yours may be a federal crime.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Call the USPS and ask that a postal inspector handle it, tell them that your post master is not responsive.

Shouldna badmouthed the Bev

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Wife just called. Some guy says he got our mail from the IRS.

She didn't get his name as he was on his cell phone. So I did a reverse cell look up and the guy is in a Town so poor, so laden with crime, I honest to God never go there unless I am well armed.

I am expecting a check. A big check.

The guy isn't returning my phone calls either...

I don't want to have to deal with this. I don't want to drive through some Ghetto to pick up a check my dumb ass Government is to incompetent to deliver.

Either way I loose, and the Post master is absolutely ZERO help.

How do you politely ask a potential Gang Banging thug to give you, a clean cut white guy, your check that's worth more than his car?
If he returns your call or answers you when you call simply tell him to put it back in the mail. I assume it is addressed to you and was mis-delivered. Though I am getting a scam vibe since he did not do this on his own. I would not go any place to pick it up.

If you do not receive it in the mail simply report to the IRS that your check went missing. They have a standard routine for this.

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
get another check from the irs. you'd be stupid to go pick a check from the bad side of town.

also, i don't remember any irs check that would have the payee phone number on it.

oh, yeah, don't go over them armed, with a group, concealed or not. it's not worth the inconvenience dealing with the irs in getting another check.

·
Libertarian
2,794 Posts
If he's honest , why doesn't he just return the check in the mail ? At the very least , he's looking for a reward .
This was posted like 25 minutes ago-maybe the guy called to make him aware and he'll put it in the mailbox. We're really jumping to conclusions here. If the caller was going to try and cash the check he wouldn't have called on the phone,right?:)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
This was posted like 25 minutes ago-maybe the guy called to make him aware and he'll put it in the mailbox. We're really jumping to conclusions here. If the caller was going to try and cash the check he wouldn't have called on the phone,right?:)
Why didn't the guy say he was going to put it in the mail when he first called ?
No offence but I think you're naive .

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I would go get it. Ask this guy to tell you what the amount of the check is and who's name is on it. If he is correct he must have it.Maybe he thinks your like the pizza man. Sent you to a wrong address and then jack ya for your IDs or make you cash the check at gun point.Take a few guys as backup and go play their little game. This might be some good training for your group.

If this guy ask you to you to come to his home, he might be being straight with ya. Go with two trucks packing and cover the front and back of the location.I would tell the guy to just leave it in his mail box and you will pick it up today. I would see what his response was to this. If the check is in the mail box put 20.00 in a envelope for his trouble and then get the hell out of there. If he acts funny tell him to rip up the check since its been reported stolen.

You could just report the check missing and request another check. This guy knows where you live and went through the trouble to get your phone number. Maybe he thinks he can get a couple bucks out of this deal.Cashing that check would be a federal offense.

If I receive this check it would of been given back to the mail man.

·
Libertarian
2,794 Posts
Why didn't the guy say he was going to put it in the mail when he first called ?
No offence but I think you're naive .
No offense taken-but I grew up on the mean streets of N.Y.C.-and on the worst of them. So-the guy calls-obviously he's not gonna go cashing the check-more likely he's hoping for a reward as mentioned earlier??:) Those suggesting he "go in" with his self created swat team must be on medication or something!

·
Stay the Course
471 Posts
I would go packing with a buddy or two. Ask nicely, Joke with him or something. If not I would get law enforcement involved.

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
Sounds kinda sketchy. I would call the IRS and tell them to cancel the check. Have them direct deposit. If the guy calls back I would tell him to meet you (and two of your pals ) somewhere like a Mcdoalds. Gang bangers love their McNuggets you know.

·
Libertarian
2,794 Posts
I would go get it. Ask this guy to tell you what the amount of the check is and who's name is on it. If he is correct he must have it.Maybe he thinks your like the pizza man. Sent you to a wrong address and then jack ya for you IDs or make you cash the check at gun point.Take a few guys as backup and go play their little game. This might be some good training for your group.

If this guy has you go to his home, he might be being straight with ya. Go with two trucks packing and cover the front and back of the location. I would tell the guy to just leave it in his mail box and you will pick it up.I would see what his response was to this. If the check is in the mail box put 20.00 in a envelope for his trouble and then get the hell out of there.

You could just report the check missing and request another check. This guy knows where you live and went through the trouble to get your phone number. Maybe he thinks he can get a couple bucks out of this deal.Cashing that check would be a federal offense.

If I receive this check it would of been given back to the mail man.
Here's another important point-just what did the caller say to his wife???

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree with the posts - DO NOT GO THERE -

It all sounds like a scam, either one that he planned for or one that fell into his lap.

Call the IRS and stop payment on the check or even consider filing a complaint with the police if he won't return it to you.

DO NOT WAIT! Don't give him time to find some way of cashing it because he will.

My daughter's check was stolen and the thief managed to get it cashed even after spelling the name wrong! :mad:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts