Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
How do you separate the diatomaceaous earth from the food product or do you just eat it as well.
I'm not MikeK :) but I know the answer to this: You don't separate it (it's a fine dust, like talc almost, and it would be impossible) but the little bit you ingest won't hurt you.

·
Premium Member
68,767 Posts
I don't have mylar bags. When I buy rice or flour I always microwave it for around 20 seconds, just in case there are weevil eggs in them.

Years ago I got weevils in my stock and it was not fun.

I store all my food stock and tp in big plastic tubs that are labeled and dated.
Without a way of removing oxygen and a barrier to keep it from getting back in, the foods are not going to have any longer lifespan than they would if they were just left in their original packaging. This is why mylar and O2 absorbers have become so popular.

·
Premium Member
68,767 Posts
How do you separate the diatomaceaous earth from the food product or do you just eat it as well.
You don't need to, it's totally safe to eat. In fact, it contributes some trace elements that our bodies need. If you feed it to your animals, it acts as a natural dewormer also and will even help keep flies from breeding in their droppings.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Without a way of removing oxygen and a barrier to keep it from getting back in, the foods are not going to have any longer lifespan than they would if they were just left in their original packaging. This is why mylar and O2 absorbers have become so popular.
I know but on a low budget, I tend to spend money on food instead of fancy bags. So fare my preps have lasted a good while. I do well to just buy extra food.

I am sure that some things might run their course due to expired shelf life but Stuff has added up and I have enough food to lat a while I also date everything so the older stuff gets used 1st.

·
Pedophiles will die soon!
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
They are sealed now. I may check them in a few months to see how well my storage methods work. I think the worms will die and dry up and the bean will be ok when I need them.

·
Premium Member
68,767 Posts
I know but on a low budget, I tend to spend money on food instead of fancy bags. So fare my preps have lasted a good while. I do well to just buy extra food.

I am sure that some things might run their course due to expired shelf life but Stuff has added up and I have enough food to lat a while I also date everything so the older stuff gets used 1st.
You've probably got a good rotation schedule then. That's really the very best way anyway. It's just not as easy for some of us, though I rotate mine pretty hard too.

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
Using New buckets/lids 0xygen absorbers and Mylar has pretty much solved the bug problem for me. I do date and label the buckets, because 5-10 years from now I won't be able to tell whats what, unless I do.

When it comes to using the beans, I will start by using a flat surface such as a cutting board and for lack of a better definition "sort the bean". I lay them out and pick out anything that desn't belong. Yes I have found gravel in bulk beans.

Once I have sorted out what I want to use I rinse, and then let them stand in water over night. If in a hurry I'll rinse twice, boil for an hour let cool, rinse againg and finish cooking. There are several variations of how to go about this. The O2 absorbers, should stop the bugs in their tracks, and sorting/rinsing before cooking should take care of any that got a start before the beans were packed.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
You don't need to, it's totally safe to eat. In fact, it contributes some trace elements that our bodies need. If you feed it to your animals, it acts as a natural dewormer also and will even help keep flies from breeding in their droppings.
And in fact, I always add DE to my hens' feed, my dogs' feed and my budgie's food, and if DH doesn't see me, I even put it in my flours and beans. Just make sure you get food grade.

·
Geared UP and Ready to GO
583 Posts
Put in plastic bag place in freezer freeze for at least 24 hours, up to 3 days depending on quantity. Remove from freezer, let sit and warm to room temperature to avoid condensation in Mylar. Seal in Mylar bag with O2 absorber place in protective container like bucket or tote and you are good. Between freezing, no oxygen, and no light, your worms, insects, and most any other living organism dead.

Pretty much like I have read. BTW Mylar bags not that expensive 1.25 for the last ones that are 20x30 I cut them down to 20x20 for 3gallon buckets. and use the 10x30 to make two 10x15 for 1 gallon buckets, you get 3 bags basically for that price.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.