Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
I had some chick peas that got buggy and I planted them in my garden. I got a real good sprout rate but have not seen any peas yet. I bought some pantry moth traps at
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/pantry-pests-c-153.html
I have seen a few on the trap and no more in any of the packages. I have also heard that freezing the product will kill the bugs but that might be hard with a whole bucket full of stuff. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
68,768 Posts
Does it really take 30 days?
I haven't seen anything that convinces me that freezing works in the first place. Afterall, those same bugs overwinter just fine in some of the coldest states in the country. I'd worry about condensation also. There are other, better, more reliable methods that would be a better choice.

I'm tempted to think this is another of those "seems like it should work" things that we see so much of.

·
Premium Member
68,768 Posts
What you got against extra protein? America is the only country that does not consume insects. Just have some beans tonight. Boil them if you have a question.
We're by far not the only country that doesn't eat bugs. It's not common throughout most of the western world. And even in cultures that have traditionally eaten bugs, the newer generations tend to reject them. Apparently they're just not a desirable source of protein if there are other sources, regardless whether they're a traditional food source there or not.

·
Survivalist & proud of it
219 Posts
Agree with MikeK, seal as soon as you get them with the oxygen absorber or food grade diatomaceous earth.

Also, if you got your pinto beans two weeks ago, it would seem those were likely last years bean crop. I can't imagine anyone (at least CONUS) having dried beans from this years crop for a while yet. If they have been stored without precautions, and in less than ideal conditions (barn storage somewhere), you might just as likely have had hatchlings the next day after bringing them home. Who knows!

·
Registered
467 Posts
MK that is why you follow instructions! The eggs in the grain products think after the first freezing and thaw that spring has arrived, A few days later when you refreeze the larva cannot stand the cold. When I first started storing foodstuffs I lost many a bucket to grubbys! this was in the 90s for over a decade I have not had a single loss or infestation in my stock. I do it cause it works...

·
Pedophiles will die soon!
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sounds ok to me. Better than no food at all. Might be yummy.
That was what I was thinking too. In a true starvation situation I would be glad to have the worms and all. That is why I did not throw them away. Who knows something could happen tomorrow and the stores could be out of food pretty fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First thing is to get the beans out of the bag. Put them either in a #10 can if you can get to a Mormon cannery. (Im not a mormon) But they do have great facilities to can store food. If you cant get to one then order some mylar bags. Then order some FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth. Make sure its Food Grade. Make sure, get it? Then what I do is put the beans in a big food bucket and add a heaping tablespoon full of DE. Mix it up until it looks evenly spread over the beans. Put the beans in the bag with an oxygen absorber.
The DE is deadly for ANY bugs BUT its great for your body. If you have questions just do some research and you will see. I take a teaspoon full in juice every day. Good for your pipes.
If you were to have bugs in your beans they will be killed. Just rinse the beans when it comes time to cook and you will be fine. Or not and maybe get a bit more protein.
thanks

·
Premium Member
68,768 Posts
What's the problem? Worms are fresh protein....

Okay okay... so I eat such things and you don't... freeze all dry goods near zero for a week before packaging. Takes care of insect eggs.
I dunno. They overwinter just fine in some of the coldest states in the country. If months of sub zero doesn't kill them in the field, I doubt a week of it will. Not to mention the condensation issue.

·
Premium Member
68,768 Posts
MK that is why you follow instructions! The eggs in the grain products think after the first freezing and thaw that spring has arrived, A few days later when you refreeze the larva cannot stand the cold. When I first started storing foodstuffs I lost many a bucket to grubbys! this was in the 90s for over a decade I have not had a single loss or infestation in my stock. I do it cause it works...
I've never had an infestation in anything. I use O2 absorbers just like the food storage companies use. I use food grade diatomaceous earth in my foods until they're ready for packaging, just like grain silos use and just like they use in Bisquick and other packaged mixes. These are proven.

When I see lab tests that prove the effectiveness of freezing, I'll immediately adopt it. Well, no, I probably wouldn't. I can't for the life of me see how it would be practical with 500+ pound loads, in my nearly full chest freezer. That's not even factoring in condensation issues in the foods as they return to room temperature.

Those same bugs and eggs freeze and thaw multiple times through the seasons in the fields. Until I can find some tests that confirm freezing, they are the same as bay leaves and spearmint gum as far as I'm concerned. I've seen a bunch of people that say the exact same thing about them that you say about freezing, despite the fact that there are a bunch of tests that prove that they don't work. So a person's experience isn't a large enough pool of data to extrapolate hard facts from.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I haven't seen anything that convinces me that freezing works in the first place. Afterall, those same bugs overwinter just fine in some of the coldest states in the country. I'd worry about condensation also. There are other, better, more reliable methods that would be a better choice.

I'm tempted to think this is another of those "seems like it should work" things that we see so much of.
Good point on wintering over. And yes, CONDENSATION! haha I've tried this, 2 bags of rice were sweating pretty bad. I put them in front of an AC vent and kept the house cooler/drier for a week afterwards.

I don't think I'll be trying this again....

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
I don't have mylar bags. When I buy rice or flour I always microwave it for around 20 seconds, just in case there are weevil eggs in them.

Years ago I got weevils in my stock and it was not fun.

I store all my food stock and tp in big plastic tubs that are labeled and dated.

·
When all else fails......
2,503 Posts
freezer or microwave the weevils

I don't have mylar bags. When I buy rice or flour I always microwave it for around 20 seconds, just in case there are weevil eggs in them.

Years ago I got weevils in my stock and it was not fun.

I store all my food stock and tp in big plastic tubs that are labeled and dated.
Good idea. I usually put rice, flour and pancake mix in the freezer straight from the store for about 2 hours. Weevil pops...lol lol
But the microwave would take less time, thank you:thumb:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've never had an infestation in anything. I use O2 absorbers just like the food storage companies use. I use food grade diatomaceous earth in my foods until they're ready for packaging, just like grain silos use and just like they use in Bisquick and other packaged mixes. These are proven.

When I see lab tests that prove the effectiveness of freezing, I'll immediately adopt it. Well, no, I probably wouldn't. I can't for the life of me see how it would be practical with 500+ pound loads, in my nearly full chest freezer. That's not even factoring in condensation issues in the foods as they return to room temperature.

Those same bugs and eggs freeze and thaw multiple times through the seasons in the fields. Until I can find some tests that confirm freezing, they are the same as bay leaves and spearmint gum as far as I'm concerned. I've seen a bunch of people that say the exact same thing about them that you say about freezing, despite the fact that there are a bunch of tests that prove that they don't work. So a person's experience isn't a large enough pool of data to extrapolate hard facts from.
How do you separate the diatomaceaous earth from the food product or do you just eat it as well.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.