Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
When I started prepping, I learned about bugs the hard way, now it's 02 absorbers and Mylar for any long term storage. Nothing personal against bugs, just don't want them in my food.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Using New buckets/lids 0xygen absorbers and Mylar has pretty much solved the bug problem for me. I do date and label the buckets, because 5-10 years from now I won't be able to tell whats what, unless I do.

When it comes to using the beans, I will start by using a flat surface such as a cutting board and for lack of a better definition "sort the bean". I lay them out and pick out anything that desn't belong. Yes I have found gravel in bulk beans.

Once I have sorted out what I want to use I rinse, and then let them stand in water over night. If in a hurry I'll rinse twice, boil for an hour let cool, rinse againg and finish cooking. There are several variations of how to go about this. The O2 absorbers, should stop the bugs in their tracks, and sorting/rinsing before cooking should take care of any that got a start before the beans were packed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.