Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Pedophiles will die soon!
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned a lesson about prepping in the spring. I had bought two 20 lbs bags of pinto beans a couple of weeks ago and just now am sealing them in Maylar bags. Well I noticed a few worms in one bag. The lesson for me is to make sure I seal what I get in the spring as soon as I get them.

Yes, I am going to keep them anyway even with the worms. There were only a few worms and if the oxygen absorber does it's job there will be no hatching of these into bugs. I will however mark this bucket as WORMS so it would be the very last one I ever used in a survival situation. Or I could use them as barter. :D:

Anyone want to barter with me? I have pinto beans with some free protein! :xeye:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just learned a lesson about prepping in the spring. I had bought two 20 lbs bags of pinto beans a couple of weeks ago and just now am sealing them in Maylar bags. Well I noticed a few worms in one bag. The lesson for me is to make sure I seal what I get in the spring as soon as I get them.

Yes, I am going to keep them anyway even with the worms. There were only a few worms and if the oxygen absorber does it's job there will be no hatching of these into bugs. I will however mark this bucket as WORMS so it would be the very last one I ever used in a survival situation. Or I could use them as barter. :D:

Anyone want to barter with me? I have pinto beans with some free protein! :xeye:
No Thanks...not at the moment, however, in 3 -5 years I may change my mind. My former mother-in-law (who is no longer with us, but was always like a second mother to me) always had a garden and put up her own veggies every year and had a favorite saying "whoever eats the most peas/beans:D:, gets the most protein"....that has also become my motto........

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may use them to divert possible raiders. "Look raiders here is all I got a nice bucket of pinto beans". LOL

Honestly though if it come down to starving or eating those beans I would eat the beans. Hopefully the oxygen absorber will take care of them anyway. If not they would still make good bait for bird traps or I could feed them to my earthworm farm.

·
When all else fails......
2,503 Posts

HINT: throw a couple of bay leaves in your beans, rice, raw wheat bags and flour. Insects will not make it through the night. Some kind of chemical in the leaves. Grandma always used them for as long as I can remember and we never had bugs in our food or grain. I use them in my macaroni until I can put them up in bags or cans. WORKS !!!!!

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HINT: throw a couple of bay leaves in your beans, rice, raw wheat bags and flour. Insects will not make it through the night. Some kind of chemical in the leaves. Grandma always used them for as long as I can remember and we never had bugs in our food or grain. I use them in my macaroni until I can put them up in bags or cans. WORKS !!!!!

That is a good idea. I should have put them away as soon as I got them home. I am sure the bugs come with them from the store.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,412 Posts
The bayleaf thing has been disproven in several different lab tests. Same with the Wrigley's Spearmint Gum one.

I'd stick to tried and true. If nothing else, at least use food grade diatomaceous earth. That's what they use in mixes like Bisquick to keep bugs out. It's cheap and has so many uses around the house that it should be a prep item anyway. Especially handy post SHTF!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,412 Posts

The O2 absorber should take care of them. When you open them, it'll be easy to sift the little dry buggies out. A quick rinse and you're good to go.

It's funny. I've eaten a few insects and actually kinda like fried agave worms. But I'm still really squeemish about bugs in my foods.

·
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The O2 absorber should take care of them. When you open them, it'll be easy to sift the little dry buggies out. A quick rinse and you're good to go.

It's funny. I've eaten a few insects and actually kinda like fried agave worms. But I'm still really squeemish about bugs in my foods.
The fact that I only saw about 6 worms too out of only one of the bags. I think they will be ok too. I came close to pouring them out on the ground but then thought why not use them as a good experiment just to see how well my sealing methods are. I may open them up in a year just to see what happened to them. If it works they should just dry up and wash right out of the beans if I ever use them.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Dang,
where did you get them beans?
I have been buying my meat seperate.
They are weevils.
Do a google search of poison for weevils.
All so check all of your grains- Oats,Flour,Meal, Pasta,Rice, etc.
Also if your have deep freeze set at zero degrees and put your grains and beans in for thirty day. It will kill the eggs or Larve. prevents re-infestation.

No White Flag Above My Door.
Daveeeds

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Dang,
where did you get them beans?
I have been buying my meat seperate.
They are weevils.
Do a google search of poison for weevils.
All so check all of your grains- Oats,Flour,Meal, Pasta,Rice, etc.
Also if your have deep freeze set at zero degrees and put your grains and beans in for thirty day. It will kill the eggs or Larve. prevents re-infestation.

No White Flag Above My Door.
Daveeeds
Does it really take 30 days?

·
Banned
2,839 Posts

Or feed them to some goats. Those goats will love you for ever.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Any time you bring home beans, grains, flour ,cornmeal ,rice ect,ect....repack them and then put them in the freezer for a week, then remove for a couple of days then put it back in the freezer for another week or two, remove one more time and let it warm up then pack into buckets. The other advice on o2 absorbers an D-earth is good also but if you do not have any on hand or are shy on cash the freeze-refreeze kills the larva. I have used this method and am just finnishing up the last of my KY2 flour. Now lets see, that makes it twelve years old...........

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
When I started prepping, I learned about bugs the hard way, now it's 02 absorbers and Mylar for any long term storage. Nothing personal against bugs, just don't want them in my food.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Nothing personal against bugs, just don't want them in my food.
The bugs say thanks, they understand, and they're not offended, and they appreciate your honesty. :D:

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
:wow Worms in my pinto beans???? That would make a great Hank William's Jr song...."I got worms------------In my pinto beans-----------Shudda sealed them sooner-------Do you know what I means?-----------"

1 - 20 of 53 Posts