Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course its too late but I think having a part time job in a store that sells survival foods/gear would be a great prep to have.
Access to products before a disaster and probably at a reduced rate too.
Anyone in that position?

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
I've considered doing a online store, or selling it at gun shows in order to have the inventory as "extra backup"

Problem is when there's the demand is when you would:
-Want to sell for the business.
-Not want to sell for your preps.

Also I imagine "with all this inventory" it would be easier to let your personal preps slide.

·
Indefatigable
20,145 Posts
Nearly every year I take a holiday job. It's always somewhere that an employee discount will help us buy something for preps. When I was younger I took pt time jobs at those pop up garden stores in the summer too. The heat gets to me now, or I would still be doing it.
Two of the best places I have worked were a hardware store and a sporting good store.
If I hadn't done this throughout my life we wouldn't have nearly the things we have now in preps.

If you want to prep food - get a job in any grocery store. Survival food - is whatever YOU put in your pantry for YOUR survival. Things that don't have "survival" on the label work just as well. With the money you save if you want then you can buy the fancy stuff, sold by a famous survivalist that lasts 25 years.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I own a freeze dried food company. :)

I set it up and planned to idle it until my software contract ended in 3-4 mo but they extended me years.

I hit the point of receiving all of my approvals from the USDA (FSIS) to freeze dry meat and essentially left it in a holding pattern. We were planning on mainly producing beef for white label wholesale sales, I was told by all the survival product stores that sales were way down. I just reconfigured for freeze dried apples... I was waiting for my inflated bagging machine from China when all this cut loose.

I notified the USDA I am opening up next week but honestly it seems kinda useless...

On the bright side, I have run nearly an entire bull I slaughtered a few weeks ago through the freeze drying process. Suffice to say my group is set! We have actually packaged more staples thru the packaging equipment then anything.

I am considering packaging a staples package that would contain 50lbs of staples but have not worked out the details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts