Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
COINTELPRO Operative
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know whether or not this belongs in the financial forum or general preparedness. So here it goes...

One of the main problems I face while working at a grocery store is the deals,
I know about all the sales several weeks ahead, special employee sales on seasonal clearance items, I know when things will be marked down, and I'm always their when the markdowns commence.

Here is an example of my purchases from October of last year, up until now...

40 LifeGear glowsticks, orange. 10 cents each = $4.00
5 Johnson & Johnson First Aid Kits, $2.99 each
Energizer Digital Battery Charger with rechargable batteries, 4.99
Energizer rechargable batteries, 4 pack, 99 cents
6 aluminum waterbottles, 1.00$ each
3 water hoses, 3.00 each
mason canning jars 1.00 for a case, bought 3 cases

stuff like that.
i cant help but to buy it when i see it.

i have an addiction

·
COINTELPRO Operative
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say you a very lucky person to be privy to such info and are able to take advantage of it. Why not put up a bulletin so the rest of us can take advantage of your fortune? Say 2 days before time?
ADs wont be hard to post. But closeout and seasonal items, and their start dates, are different and vary from store to store.
My store is an older store and we're starting to get alot of "resets" which means they come in and change up shelf displays by adding our subtracting items

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I read the title and was thinking "what on earth problem could he possibly have"...

Now I know :p

Its like me when I have cash in my wallet and walk into an outdoors shop to buy.. lets say a pair of socks, and then walk out with 1/2 the store. (and probably no socks!!)

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
this reminds me of all my years working retail in outdoor stoors. It's very hard to save your paycheck with employee deals like $25 JetBoil stoves, $20 Leathmans Waves and $50 800fill down sleeping bags.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
this reminds me of all my years working retail in outdoor stoors. It's very hard to save your paycheck with employee deals like $25 JetBoil stoves, $20 Leathmans Waves and $50 800fill down sleeping bags.
Makes you wonder what do these things cost to a merchant to buy from the manufacturer, and what their mark-up is. :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have access to cheap but decent supplies, buy them and resell for a small markup on craigslist or ebay or similar. Use the money to stock up on needed supplies your source doesn't have.

If you know local preppers, inform them of known sales as well.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Makes you wonder what do these things cost to a merchant to buy from the manufacturer, and what their mark-up is. :eek:
Markup is usually close to 100% for a lot of small items, less for large or very expensive items.

But that markup isn't just them ripping you off. That markup pays for employee wages, rent for the building, maintenance, utilities, and if anything is left over a profit for the owner. That's the price of buying locally/in store.

Places like Amazon have far few costs, which is how they can usually beat local prices, even after shipping.

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
501 Posts
I dont know whether or not this belongs in the financial forum or general preparedness. So here it goes...

I know about all the sales several weeks ahead, special employee sales on seasonal clearance items, I know when things will be marked down, and I'm always their when the markdowns commence.

3 water hoses, 3.00 each

stuff like that.

i have an addiction
The several times I worked retail (in college, grad school, etc) I was always told that this was a perk, rather than a big fancy paycheck you got the lower prices. Some times we were even allowed to set stuff aside for the sale date.

However I think that reselling on eBay is a bit much. You may want to sell to your friends, fellow survivalists, but only at what it cost you. Selling for a profit is going into business as a competitor to you employer and I feel that is morally wrong.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts

3 water hoses, 3.00 each

stuff like that.

i have an addiction

I have the same problem. but i work at a gun store. consider your self lucky.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.