Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyones surroundings kinda dictate what they will/will not need in their BOB but for me. if the S really HTF. my bug out location is about 20 minutes away down country roads nobody uses. keeping that in mind. heres the start of my BOB and its very limited. i just started. ill include pics at a later time.

Ok so for my bag itself im using a back pack. Its some brand of tactical MOLLE pack with a plastic frame internal. Its pretty nice, and its not overly large like a backpacking pack.

heres whats inside of it as of 5 minutes ago..

-10 Rounds of 00 Buck Shot
-2 Spare Glock Mags. 13 rds each, 45 ACP
-1 pocket knife/multitool
-1 Pocket knife/cooking utensil. It has a knife fork spoon and can opener all in 1.
-1 Large Survival Knife, More of a machete than a knife. think oversize'd bowie.
-2, 8 packs of fire starters(about 4 inches long each) they work pretty good ive tested em
-12, 9 hour candles
-1 Military type mess kit
-1 9 hour candle lantern
-Various Glow sticks(they're small and provide pretty decent light in emergency)
-2 cans of chicken, all white meat.
-several packs of ramen noodles
-Brand new Gas Mask and extra Filter

Ok now for the outside of the pack. I have a molle pouch attatched to hold a flashlight, the small kind that are extremely bright.
i also have a 6 AK Mag pouch attatched. it currently has 3,30 round AK47 mags in it. I didnt load it with 6 because its alot of weight that i could make better use of in food and water. The remainder of my ammo and mags will go in another Duffel style BOB.
-1 Mossberg 500 Short barrel pistol grip. It attatches to the outside of the pack and can be easily pulled out while wearing the pack but it wont fall out if i tripped and fell. I plan on having about 50 rounds of shotshells in the pack. i only have 10 currently.
More to come.
I still need to get a hydration pack. my backpack has a compartment for one which is nice.

My belt Rig
for use only in TEOTWA and range trips!

Safariland SLS tactical leg holster with my Glock 21, 45 ACP
Double Glock Mag holder with 2 mags
Tactical Flashlight in holder. (once again, the small kind like a surefire)
4 Ak-47 mag holder filled with 30 round Brand new Steel Mags
The Viktory Bringer herself, my AK-47. Loaded with a 40 round brand new Steel Mag.
Still looking for a suitable large knife that i like. probally going to make my own cuz im picky.

keep in mind the heavily armed belt rig is only for your real Apocalypse situations. i wouldnt be running around in it if a tornado struck or something minimal like that. if there is government in tact u do NOT want full battle rattle. (in most situations)

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble there but if you know what you are doing you don't need to carry a tent, it only adds weight and space that could be used for other things. Among that, a BOB is personalized to each person according to their needs, skills, region, and where they plan to travel. It is all relative. Furthermore, it is best to have a bag full of stuff that is versatile. If you are going through woods, one can easily make shelters out of trees and branches. I have seen it many times where hunters make a dome like small structure just out of weaving branches and it is just as good and you don't have to carry a tent or sleeping bag.

When I was in the army, in training they wanted us to carry a sleeping bag and sleeping pad, which both got in the way too often and didn't help that much anyways. A blanket will do just as fine, plus a tent is likely to catch an eye or two, esp if lots of people are bugging out. Wood tends to blend in a bit better.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah not tent. we did quite a few boy scout outings with no tents and primitive shelters. besides that the place id be bugging out to already has shelter constructed. as i said its a very short drive down the road and could be walked in a day if need be. The sleeping bag, i havent found one i like yet. once again i want minimal size/weight as id rather save the space for better things that are more versatile. Also once i finish this personal backpack BOB. ill be starting on my bug out duffel bags which would go into the vehicle. those will have more stuff in them as well. possibly some things a shelter could be made with but also serve other pruposes. Im gonna be getting some good rope soon to add to the pack. youd be surprised what you can do with a good rope and what god provides in the woods. that being said, if i was bugging out to somewhere far away. id probally have a tent in case i had to stop along the way and didnt have time to build a shelter from scratch. also keep in mind i JUST started. theres alot of stuff i need still that i just dont have yet lol

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
I have climbing rope and 550 cord, both have multiple uses and if you take out the inner cordage, you can use that in fishing, trapping, weaving, and tons of stuff IF your original strand of rope is not long enough or whatever...you get the idea.

Not knowing how much room is in your bag, I don't know if a tent would fit. You can make a tent with rope and a blanket if you wanted to.

Also, you should leave a little empty space in your bag in case last minute you need something OR if during your route, you find something worth taking with you.

Also, I have eating utensils that clip together to make a very flat set of eating utensils...one thing army taught me...always carry pen and paper...I use rite in the rain...

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the land your Bug out location is yours, you could always cache some ammo and supplies to reduce your load. No sense humping a ton of ammo when you can pre-cache it. Just no food earth-caching. Bears. I assume you have a building at your BOL as you have no tarp, tent or bag, so thats saved weight.

Since you are only 20 min away, you wouldnt need much to take with you. I would even drop the chicken and put in a few mainstay 3600 calorie bars.

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
If the land your Bug out location is yours, you could always cache some ammo and supplies to reduce your load. No sense humping a ton of ammo when you can pre-cache it. Just no food earth-caching. Bears. I assume you have a building at your BOL as you have no tarp, tent or bag, so thats saved weight.

Since you are only 20 min away, you wouldnt need much to take with you. I would even drop the chicken and put in a few mainstay 3600 calorie bars.
Not bad advice, but about the food, something ALWAYS goes unexpected and that would be a bad time for that to happen...but not a bad idea on the calorie bars...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the land is ours and we have a set up. still working on one acually. there will be a cache though in the future. the 3 Mags in my pack along with the 4 On my belt rig is enough for most emergencies that i can forsee. ill have a major cache on our land. and there are no bears here. hehehehe. didnt think of the calorie bars. mainly because im a fat guy and a 3600 calorie bar would probably give me a stroke or heart attack lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
Add some firestarting equipment, Zippos, Butane Lighters, Firesteels, Bics, Waterproof Matches etc. Even just store some at the BOL, but have some in your bag. JUST IN CASE. A sort of waterproof cover, be it a tarp or a poncho, whatever floats your boat mate.
Sharpening tools would be handy too, fella. I'd have a set of full size tools at the BOL. Axe, Splitting Axe, Shovel, Saws, Chisels, Hand Drills, Files, Rasps. If you have a sloped area on your property, maybe dig a shelter into it and cover it over, try conceal the entrance with some branches, a log, something that doesn't look too out of the ordinary. A wool blanket would be a good addition. As well as something chambered in .22lr, cheap as chips to shoot, easy to store and carry. Not as much self defence capability or bird hunting capability as the shotty, but being able to drop small game at 100yds accurately(depending on your shooting ability, no offence), is better I'd say.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
20 min. by car I assume.

What do Ya plan to drop if ya have to finish on foot?

Reactions: ChapNelson

·
Asian Newbie
322 Posts
I would suggest some self rescue equipments:

1. 1 x Figure 8 (descender)
2. 2 x Caribiners (Hope I spelled it correctly)
3. 1 x self improvished harness (much smaller then standard waist harness)
4. 1 x ascender
5. 30m (90ft) of 6mm emergency rapelling rope (not meant for 'normal' rapelling, as 6mm can take around 600kg, use only when emergency)
6. A pair of rapelling/working glove

All can be placed in a small bag, and form part of your BOB rig.

For your consideration, cheers!

21,493 Posts
yeah not tent. we did quite a few boy scout outings with no tents and primitive shelters. besides that the place id be bugging out to already has shelter constructed. as i said its a very short drive down the road and could be walked in a day if need be. The sleeping bag, i havent found one i like yet. once again i want minimal size/weight as id rather save the space for better things that are more versatile. Also once i finish this personal backpack BOB. ill be starting on my bug out duffel bags which would go into the vehicle. those will have more stuff in them as well. possibly some things a shelter could be made with but also serve other pruposes. Im gonna be getting some good rope soon to add to the pack. youd be surprised what you can do with a good rope and what god provides in the woods. that being said, if i was bugging out to somewhere far away. id probally have a tent in case i had to stop along the way and didnt have time to build a shelter from scratch. also keep in mind i JUST started. theres alot of stuff i need still that i just dont have yet lol
I was wondering if you were thinking down those lines. And it is your choice. Although you may want to consider a bivy bag if you have the cash or something like this emergency biv if you don,t. Which is what I have just for that weight/sise factor

Yeah I know fluro orange. I do not know if you can get a cam vesion. But at least it would have to be quieter than knocking down trees to do a shelter.

And they are about 13 bucks

·
Registered
30 Posts
One thing you might want to try is packing the bag, and strapping it on to test for balance. Walk it around, position the straps until you find the "feels good" spot. Then mark the spots on the webbing.
Take the bag for a dry run. Pack it up, but instead of carrying ammo and weapons, load it up with "dead weight" equivilent to the measured weight of the ammo and weapons. IE: Rocks. :)
This will give you a good idea where it chafes on you and let you put a little extra padding where you need it. Test it jogging, walking and running. You can jostle things around in the bag till your packing is balanced. You might also want to see what it feels like if you fall and or have to hit the dirt.
I would recommend a walking stick or pole. Handy thing when on trail.

·
Grumpy Old Man
546 Posts
Put all that stuff at the BOL. Just keep some water and energy bars in a bag. I assume you will have your personnal defense weapon on you and your truck gun already stowed. Your BOL is only 20 miles away. You're bound to be able to get there in one day.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One thing you might want to try is packing the bag, and strapping it on to test for balance. Walk it around, position the straps until you find the "feels good" spot. Then mark the spots on the webbing.
Take the bag for a dry run. Pack it up, but instead of carrying ammo and weapons, load it up with "dead weight" equivilent to the measured weight of the ammo and weapons. IE: Rocks. :)
This will give you a good idea where it chafes on you and let you put a little extra padding where you need it. Test it jogging, walking and running. You can jostle things around in the bag till your packing is balanced. You might also want to see what it feels like if you fall and or have to hit the dirt.
I would recommend a walking stick or pole. Handy thing when on trail.
great advice! we used to do that in boy scouts in prep for our backpacking trips. we used Bricks hehehe

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Put all that stuff at the BOL. Just keep some water and energy bars in a bag. I assume you will have your personnal defense weapon on you and your truck gun already stowed. Your BOL is only 20 miles away. You're bound to be able to get there in one day.
actually its more like 10 miles. 20 minutes. sorry 4 confusion. and the only reason we dont keep much stashed out there right now is because mfkers keep breakin into **** out there and stealing/vandalizing. its way out in the middle of nowhere and fenced off but hell they just walk right in. i dont like the idea but in events of a serious emergency were gonna have to move our entire cache via transport vehicle the first time. once its all there its there. but until we come up with a more secure means to keep **** locked up its gonna stay here. we even tryed chains and ppl brought bolt cutters...lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.