Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at possibly getting a Woodsman Pal 2.0. While I'm somewhat familiar with the design, the 2.0 is an updated version of the older design , which dates back to WWII.

I was hoping to get some feed back on it. It looks like a pretty good tool, made in Lancaster PA. So 100% made in the US. It should make a nice addition to my outdoor/survival gear. Yes I know they are expensive compared to the older ones made before that company went out of business.

·
reluctant sinner
17,472 Posts
My buddy has the older one with the hand guard - I would figure out how to attach one to the new design.

I think you would be much better off making one from a piece of truck leaf spring or store bought hunk of steel and a die grinder.

Online 1095 - 3/8", 4" x 24" is like $60

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,790 Posts
Woodsman's pal is clunky and really not as good as many say...too short, too much weight in the wrong places.

Rather have an old sharp machete, instead.
I own the original and use it as intended, for cutting/grubbing out thorny vines. It was designed to survive hitting the ground/rocks.

It has certain advantages over a machete, and a few disadvantages, but size and weight are not the problem.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on clearing brush with it, I live on a river and for the most part the banks are too steep to be going up and down except for one spot which is brush choked. While the foliage is down I can see where to cut a meandering path, when everything leaf's out it turns into a wall of green.

As far as the price goes, yeah it's a bit steep, I'll give you that. I can't gripe about cheap imports and knockoffs, then turn around with the next breath and complain about the price of American made goods without coming off like a hypocrite...LOL

Reactions: Don H

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have an original that I paid $70 in 2014. the only difference I see is they changed the handle so you can't hold it in either blade direction and someone lost their mind when pricing it. I like my original.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I plan on clearing brush with it, I live on a river and for the most part the banks are too steep to be going up and down except for one spot which is brush choked. While the foliage is down I can see where to cut a meandering path, when everything leaf's out it turns into a wall of green.

As far as the price goes, yeah it's a bit steep, I'll give you that. I can't gripe about cheap imports and knockoffs, then turn around with the next breath and complain about the price of American made goods without coming off like a hypocrite...LOL
I've had some pretty bad briars and saplings on the bank of our pond in some places and I've "abused" the heck out of this:

It's the Condor Knife and Tool Swamp Master Machete

The sharpened curve on the back side of the machete really helps cutting the base of briars and in tight spaces...just another option.

ROCK6

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's nice (maybe not 175 bucks nice) but they did go the extra distance on quality. They did a good job on the leather sheath and kicked in the correct (lansky) sharpening stone. I guess I'll just have to remind myself that long after the pain to my pocket book has faded I will still have a quality tool. So it goes...LOL

I do like the longer handle and the finger groves are not so pronounced as to be a problem if I flip it over. I can get two hands on the grip (or grip it further back), not something I can safely do with my machete. Although there have been a few times I've been aggravated enough to be tempted.

Speaking of machetes I have an Ontario 18" machete, as machetes go the Ontario is a nice one, works great for cutting away waist level brush. Yet it lacks the brush hook which again, is a feature I find desirable.

The pal and the Ontario have about the same heft, yet the pal has more weight out on the end where it will do the most good. That said...YMMV

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
It's nice (maybe not 175 bucks nice) but they did go the extra distance on quality. They did a good job on the leather sheath and kicked in the correct (lansky) sharpening stone. I guess I'll just have to remind myself that long after the pain to my pocket book has faded I will still have a quality tool. So it goes...LOL
Price is always subjective and relative and those that complain about an American made product costing too much often bitch about cheap Chinese imports:D: Price is only worth its value if you use it and it meets your needs. I will say, my leather sheath is well made as well and the blunted tip is actually beneficial when you start chopping at briars just below the surface layer of the soil.

Enjoy the tool, it will last more than your lifetime and your great grandson will be on this forum some time in the year 2085 showing off his great-grandfather's cool machete:thumb:

ROCK6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts