Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Deeds of Flesh
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have been looking over a lot of surplus sites lately and I have noticed the prices on woodland camo are crazy..And some kind of government freeze is on these products..packs pants shirts.Prices $50 more if they will sell.
Seems someone is afraid of the populace blending in sometime soon.
Is anyone else shocked by this? Is this old news?

I see it as some kind of anti militia type move or a fear of an organized hidden rural threat.. Does anyone share these kind of fears? why else would the government not want the public to wear whatever the hell they wanted?

Thanks.

·
531 Posts
I've gotten 2 pairs of pants / shirts (jackets, whatever they're called) for $5 or under each on eBay in the last 2 weeks.

Hell even got one pair of pants for $2.00. Shipping cost more than the pants did.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Well I have this one site that sells military surplus and a lot of the packs are $50+ for just woodland camo. Like this one..
Other items same thing.
http://www.imsplus.com/cfp-90-backpack-system-complete-with-main-pack-and-patrol-pack.html

I am looking for the one I found earlier that specified the "Freeze"

Edit: I can't find it. And now I look like a nut..lol.

You don't want Woodland anyway, get MultiCam, it works much better then anything thing else out there.

·
531 Posts
You don't want Woodland anyway, get MultiCam, it works much better then anything thing else out there.
I usually get a mix of whatever I can get my hands on for cheap. ACU's, Woodland BDU's, MARPAT, Multicam. Any of it is going to be better for blending in than humping it in jeans and a t-shirt. :D:

Just need to scrounge for it and be opportunistic when you find it for cheap.

·
531 Posts
A lot of camo stuff, especially clothing, packs, etc goes up this time of year because of hunting season.
Damn good point. The local Sportsmans Warehouse was completely out of camo hats of any kind. No knit, no baseball, no nothing. Couldn't find a single camo hat in the place. Walmart was completely out of camo rain gear entirely.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Im a tightwad. I generally wait until the end of the season and take a trip to wally world and buy what ever they have left after hunting season while its heaviliy discounted for clearence sale for a fraction of the original asking price. I have made out pretty good this way over the last few years and have quiet the closet full of gear.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the "Freeze" deals with the US government purchasing any more Woodland Camo, not with the general public's ability to purchase. However, if the government is not purchasing it anymore, the price will go up simply because no one will really be making it any more, which causes the supply to start drying up, further causing the limited demand to drive up prices for the limited supply.

·
Big,Hairy and Smelly
129 Posts
I second the multicam.It works in multiple enviroments.Real stuff can be pricey though.I bought a knock-off set for under $50 for paintball though.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Check out BDU.com. They're a great operation we've happily used several times over the years. They have occasional sales, and they always ship free for orders over $50. Right now i belive they're also offering a 12% discount,but you may need a code. If so, PM me, I have it in my e-mails still.
I think two full sets of mil-spec,nylon/cotton rip-stop BDU's would run you $88,delivered.
On the other hand, over the last two years or so, I've accumulated about 8 camo pants and a couple shirts, mostly woodland but a couple desert, from Goodwill. They're all in near new condition, both mediums and larges, for about $4.50 each.:thumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the "Freeze" deals with the US government purchasing any more Woodland Camo, not with the general public's ability to purchase. However, if the government is not purchasing it anymore, the price will go up simply because no one will really be making it any more, which causes the supply to start drying up, further causing the limited demand to drive up prices for the limited supply.
Bingo!!! The military is moving away from the old pattern. Woodland is going up in price and the new digital patterns are coming down in price. Simple supply and demand.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
It looks like a good time for us that know our way around a sewing machine to start sewing up some of our own cammos.

I know 2 men who are doing just that. They are outfitting themselves in cammos that are more comfortable and built to their needs.

I always ask to see what the've done and then, in turn, they ask for advise about sewing. These are the same guys that got me into looking into survivalism not just stocking like I was doing before.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was in an Army/Navy store yesterday looking for a cap and there was a whole flock of teenage girls buying cammo .. Woodland, 3-color desert, etc.

Its the latest fashion.

·
Deeds of Flesh
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have just recieved word that Uncle Sam is requiring all BDU's and camo clothing(ponchos, wet weather gear)to be destroyed and not sold to the public. I have recieved an email from Govt Liquidation(they run the surplus system for uncle sam) for me to return a pallet of Wet Weather Trousers I purchased 3 years ago so they can be destroyed.(copy of email available on request). I , and other surplus dealers, stand to loose our livliehoods if this is allowed to happen. Please contact your elected officials and ask them to opose this policy.
http://www.allmilitary.com/board/viewtopic.php?pid=86071

After searching all over the place I found this..I hope this is not true as you can see it's from a few months back.
It seems the camo is restricted..So buy your camo before your government takes it away.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Guess I am a bottom feeder, like to buy it cheap.

I started picking up the European stuff when they dumped their old designs and made it surplus. With everyone playing follow the leader in the switch to digital type patterns, it is a good time to pick up their hand-me-downs at a bargain price.

German Flaktarn, and British DPM are relatively inexpensive at the moment, but supplies are apparently beginning to dry up so it wont last. British DPM is pretty similar to woodland.

Recently I have seen some woodland appearing at thrift stores, BDU's etc. Maybe its all of your stuff you donated, ha. I sure would not want to pay full price these days, ouch.

For crawling in the brush the surplus stuff is great almost indestructible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts