Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This wood shed is about 4 feet wide, 3 feet deep and 3 - 4 feet tall, its got a loping roof.

It will hold enough wood to cook with for almost a month. This is the same shed pictured in the cooking video. Plus, its portable - so if I need to use my genny, I can use it to keep to rain off.

The wood is up off the ground with pallets.

Attachments

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
So if that much wood would supply cooking for a month, then it would take about 3 or 4 cords just for cooking in you cooker for a year. And then if you consider what it would take for heating, Down South, it would not be as bad as up North but still that is quite a lot of wood each year, if you used it year around.

Reactions: joes

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Doubtless this is high quality firewood, if only I had such a resource! I currently have 2ea 7X7X10 foot sheds full of wood and extra wood under cover in well ventilated areas, that might last a winter, it is April now and I am still heating with wood. I know people that have even more wood than that and are still puting-up more on a daily basis, (30 days with-out power in near zereo temps creates a survivalist mentality, even if you don't belive in survivalisim!) The wood shed is very important, it keeps the wood dry and ventilated so that when you need it the wood catches fire easily and burns cleanly, which keeps your stove pipe clean so that a proper draft is created and smoke does not fill your home from a blocked stove pipe (a real bummer).
The shed need not be fancy nor expensive; metal T-posts can form the up-right posts and scrap plywood used as walls and roofing to keep out rain and snow. Localy it takes 2 years to season green hard wood. If a dry wind circulates through softwoods like pine on a daily basis, 6 to 8 months should be sufficent, but conditions vary.

·
Registered
609 Posts
When y'all mentioned the woodshed, my rearend started hurting, then a smile came to my face... I used to get some good whippings from my dad in the woodshed. I sure miss that old man....:(

Reactions: joes
1 - 5 of 5 Posts