Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://news.yahoo.com/dont-panic-says-us-woman-recovered-coronavirus-055155667.html

A Washington woman who had the dreaded C Virus and recovered says "don't panic."

Seattle (AFP) - An American woman who has recovered from the novel coronavirus has a simple message for people who are worried: Don't panic -- but do think about high-risk individuals and stay home if you feel ill.
Elizabeth Schneider lives in Seattle, the biggest city of Washington state, which has the most deaths in the United States from the disease sweeping the globe.
The 37-year-old, who has a PhD in bioengineering, said she was sharing her story "to give people a little bit of hope" through her own relatively mild experience with the infection, which she treated herself from home.
"Treated herself from home" and recovered with no ill side affects.

https://news.yahoo.com/dont-panic-says-us-woman-recovered-coronavirus-055155667.html

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,929 Posts
IF she had it , she admits she had an extremely mild case, treated herself at home so we have no clue of the permanent lung damage; yet she gives advice?

What we don't know (one thing of how many) these who "recovered" with permanent lung damage, how long will they live with that damage? "Recovered and dying" well that is not exactly heart warming or inspirational IMO

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IF she had it , she admits she had an extremely mild case, treated herself at home so we have no clue of the permanent lung damage; yet she gives advice?

What we don't know (one thing of how many) these who "recovered" with permanent lung damage, how long will they live with that damage? "Recovered and dying" well that is not exactly heart warming or inspirational IMO

I guess it can't be possible for someone to have a strong enough immune system to "weather the storm" without a "near death" experience. If CNN and FOX say it ain't possible ... then it ain't possible. It simply CAN'T be the C Virus unless ones entrails are hanging out their rear.

Or ... the entire thing is being over-hyped. I still believe that fear won't make it any better.

·
Registered
984 Posts
We don't get the measles vaccine to protect ourselves from being the 1 in 10,000 who would die in first world conditions.

We get measles vaccination to protect the vulnerable with herd immunity.

If you're young and healthy, you will most likely recover. Most of us will get a "mild" illness, anyone along the range of completely asymptomatic to walking pneumonia (not hospitalized).

But us young healthy people can easily spread our "mild" case to the vulnerable -- immuno-compromised, pre-existing conditions, and over 60s.

And the it's those people who will require hospitalization and if we don't flatten the curve (slow the spread) will overwhelm the healthcare system.

Our family is practicing "social distancing" and forgoing large events that we'd planned on. Not because we're afraid to get it ourselves, but because we're doing our part of public health to slow the spread to keep it manageable.

When people used to get measles before the vaccine, they willingly quarantined the family. It wasn't because they didn't want to get measles (they already had it, they couldn't get a double case), but to protect other people in the public.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We don't get the measles vaccine to protect ourselves from being the 1 in 10,000 who would die in first world conditions.

We get measles vaccination to protect the vulnerable with herd immunity.

If you're young and healthy, you will most likely recover. Most of us will get a "mild" illness, anyone along the range of completely asymptomatic to walking pneumonia (not hospitalized).

But us young healthy people can easily spread our "mild" case to the vulnerable -- immuno-compromised, pre-existing conditions, and over 60s.

And the it's those people who will require hospitalization and if we don't flatten the curve (slow the spread) will overwhelm the healthcare system.

Our family is practicing "social distancing" and forgoing large events that we'd planned on. Not because we're afraid to get it ourselves, but because we're doing our part of public health to slow the spread to keep it manageable.

When people used to get measles before the vaccine, they willingly quarantined the family. It wasn't because they didn't want to get measles (they already had it, they couldn't get a double case), but to protect other people in the public.
I can live with that.

You just described how I've been living my life for years. I'm a long time prepper and a "health nut." I'm nearing 60 but am stronger than most youngsters who live on crap food. One of the reasons I stay healthy is that I don't let fear rule my life. I'm not sure of a time when panic was the best solution for any emergency or pandemic but people are prone to letting their fears get the best of them. At least there are a few folks like myself trying to calm those fears -- even if folks see me as a monster for doing so.

·
Retired *****
18,332 Posts
The OP is a counter to the wall-to-wall fear mongering

What I learned from the article:

Schneider first began experiencing flu-like symptoms on February 25, three days after going to a party that was later identified as the place where at least five other people also got infected.
Short incubation time. What about the five other people? What was their experience?

A few days later, however, she discovered through a friend's Facebook post that several people from the party had all developed similar symptoms, and she began to get more suspicious.

Several of these people went to their doctors, where they were found to be negative for the flu, but they were not offered coronavirus tests because they too were not coughing or having breathing trouble.
The symptoms vary, not everybody is struck down and hospitalized. Who knew?

Prudent steps to keep out of others' cough and snot spray and staying away from crowds in general sounds good. Canceling large gatherings will slow it down, but nothing is going to stop it. Nothing we have done has stopped the OTHER coronaviruses.

Now that celebrities, NBA players and politicians have been infected we can watch what happens to them.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Why do people bother to tell us not to panic. Nobody here is panicking. We're preparing for other people's panic. And I'm bracing for older relatives who may die.

I don't care if some lady got over it. Tens of millions like her will, including probably me. Millions won't.

My kids are moving back home from college 2 months early, the stores are cleaning out of food, international travel and trade are shutting down, and my company is planning to send employees home to work. Actual events that I have zero control or influence over. I'm not panicked about those events because I'm preparing for them to happen.

Why post drivel like the OP on a site dedicated to prepping. It's like telling people not to buy a gun because statistically you'll never need it, and if you're in a situation where you do, statistically you'd probably survive without it anyway since millions do every year. If you post that in the firearms threads they'll laugh you out of the forum and call you the troll you are. They laugh people out for saying they carry a .380 and a single stack 6 round mag or a revolver. Even though no gun is needed by people in this country if you go by statistics alone.

The OP likely included in ganging up on such firearm nonsense. Then they come here and do the exact same thing.

People who understand math and probabilities hedge lots of things that are statistically small chances and watch for things that can affect them to head off any negative impacts.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
And just like the gun argument if you're young and live in safe (spread out) neighborhood the odds are different than if you are old and live in a poor (high density) neighborhood.

So far this section of the forum has provided the most information and accurate assessments of what is coming and the negative impacts due to people and governments. Plan accordingly.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do people bother to tell us not to panic. Nobody here is panicking. We're preparing for other people's panic. And I'm bracing for older relatives who may die.

I don't care if some lady got over it. Tens of millions like her will, including probably me. Millions won't.

My kids are moving back home from college 2 months early, the stores are cleaning out of food, international travel and trade are shutting down, and my company is planning to send employees home to work. Actual events that I have zero control or influence over. I'm not panicked about those events because I'm preparing for them to happen.

Why post drivel like the OP on a site dedicated to prepping. It's like telling people not to buy a gun because statistically you'll never need it, and if you're in a situation where you do, statistically you'd probably survive without it anyway since millions do every year. If you post that in the firearms threads they'll laugh you out of the forum and call you the troll you are. They laugh people out for saying they carry a .380 and a single stack 6 round mag or a revolver. Even though no gun is needed by people in this country if you go by statistics alone.

The OP likely included in ganging up on such firearm nonsense. Then they come here and do the exact same thing.

People who understand math and probabilities hedge lots of things that are statistically small chances and watch for things that can affect them to head off any negative impacts.

Sharing a story of a woman getting over this virus is "drivel?" Had "the OP" started a thread about a person dying a horrible death due to the virus he would have been applauded and folks would have been fixated on the story. Amazing. Let's not find hope in anything. Let's embrace fear.

·
Retired *****
18,332 Posts
Some quotes from this site

"You are still going to get very ill for a very long time."

"You're going to be suffering a fever that lasts for ages ..."

"People are dropping like flies."

"Most states infected, infection and death rates doubling every ~3 days ..."

"When we hear experts in the field saying it is much worse than Ebola or anything we've seen and/or words to that affect ..."

"May those who prepped live to see another day."

TEOTWAWKI ? Sure, if it crashes the economy and puts the world in a depression.

Fear mongering.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I found out today my brother has coronavirus. He is in the very early stages and so far he says it like the flu. He's in GA and dose a lot of traveling with his work. The acquaintance he thinks he got it from is on a ventilator.

My brother has some other health issue so only time will tell.

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,455 Posts
Well I found out today my brother has coronavirus. He is in the very early stages and so far he says it like the flu. He's in GA and dose a lot of traveling with his work. The acquaintance he thinks he got it from is on a ventilator.

My brother has some other health issue so only time will tell.
We will all hope for the least complicated recovery for your brother . And we will appreciate updates so we have a baseline from his experience .

1 - 20 of 83 Posts