Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see these two types of ammo frequently online at good deals. Being cheap steel cased Russian made Wolf ammo, we should all have SOME laying around. Now, just wondering, what is the difference between these two kinds of ammo? I know the "Polyformance" has a bi-metal jacket - a blend of copper and mild steel - hence the name "poly". What does the Military Classic have to offer that the Poly rounds don't? Is one lacquer coated or have different primers? I have sometimes seen the Military Classic ammo about a penny cheaper per round (for 223). I also know Polyformance comes in FMJ only, whereas MC comes in FMJ, HP, or the elusive SP, all for the same price. Thanks for any input or knowledge on this.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Can't tell a bit of diff myself. Both have the "bi metal" bullets (use a magnet) and "polymer" coating on steel shells. I don't know of any Russian stuff coming here that doesn't have the steel jacketed bullets.

Note that I have in my hand right now some Wolf 7.62x39 "performance ammunition" and same in "WPA Polyformance". Now in this case, the former is 123gr HP made in Ukraine while the latter is 125gr SP made in Russia.

To make it more of a turkey shoot, note that Wolf changes it's sources from time to time. They had some sort of falling out with both the Tula Ammunition Works and Ulyanovsk Plant about a year ago for example, and seems to have changed to Barnaul for most of it's Russian stuff. For now.

Wolf is after all an importer, packager, and a distributor, but not a manufacturer. And of course sources it's various offerings from various places around the world, not just Russia and Ukraine.

- OS

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wondered the same thing last week. From a thread on Calguns.net a few years back:

I sent Wolf an Email:

Other than the Sealant, what is the differance between the two,
9mm to be specific.
Thanks

Their Responce:

Nothing except the packaging, which is because they are made in two
different factories, other then that there is no difference.

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammunition
Customer Service Department
I guess you could always confirm that with Wolf via their website.

·
BOHICA
471 Posts
The Military classic that I have is lacquer coated and the polyformance has a kind of Teflon/poly like coating. I prefer the lacquer coating being that it is supposed to protect better in long term storage. My polyformance rounds will rust quickly left lying in my humid truck.

From what I read a while back, the Ar-15 users did not like the lacquer rounds because they were dirtier in the chamber. Then Wolf introduced the Polyformance rounds for the American market. Not sure. BTW they shoot the same in my SKS and AK's.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
i think golden tiger is laquer coated as well... that has more of a brown finish...

·
Registered
554 Posts
I believe poly means polymer which stands for the powder coat type finish on the case.

I've never had a problem with running cheap steel ammo. I've only seen a problem one time with cases getting stuck in the chamber. The extractor was ripping the case rim off. Not all the time just occasionally.

·
BOHICA
471 Posts
Yours must be pretty old or something. The MC has been polymer coated for years.

Lacquer coating is greenish brown, as in Brown Bear. If it's gray, its polymer.

The only lacquer coated ammo I still see besides BB is the Monarch from Academy. (which is actually Barnaul Brown Bear too AFAIK)

Wolf's Military Classic page:

http://www.wolfammo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=116

- OS
Yes, my Military Classic is quite a few years old, made in Russia, last cases I bought were Polyformance, made in Ukraine.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
Poly means polymer, as in polymer coated rather than the lacquer that they had previously used. And bimetal is not a blend. They plate copper over the mild steel jacket material, making two layers. Both of these moves was to cater to the American market.

In years past, the Military Classic was just the old style Wolf ammo. But they seem to have upgraded it. The old stuff had a more effective bullet also. At least in 7.62x39. I don't know if it still does or not.

Functionally, they're pretty much the same. Both reliable. Both very dirty. Neither very accurate. But it's cheap so it sells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts