1 - 20 of 1107 Posts

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
Kudos to Mountain House for helping expose Wise as the scammers that they are.

Average oxygen levels in Wise Company products were 18.25%, nearly the 21% level found in the atmosphere and 110 times higher than the average 0.16% oxygen found in Mountain House products. The most alarming part is that Wise Company products were manufactured in April of 2012 and already exhibit near-atmospheric levels of oxygen, which would not provide a 25-year shelf life.
That doesn't surprise me a bit from them. Mountain House had the tests done by Columbia Food Laboratories, an independant lab. I'd love to see similar tests done on Efoods and a few of the other fly by nighters that are popping up just to take advantage of the increased demand. Part of why I keep suggesting to stick with known, long term food storage companies.

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
Why buy either of them? Make your own dehydrated meals and foods. Go to the store and buy frozen veggies. put them in your dehydrator. pack them in Mylar with an oxygen absorber. And don't forget to pack the additional water it will take to consume dehydrated foods.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I support Mountain House 100%. Although we have some #10 of some items like butter powder and so on. The study might have been funded by Mountain House however, both the company doing the study, and Mountain House would lose 100% of credibility if the information was not 100% accurate.

As a result of the article I would be sticking to the Mountain House brand. Of course like everyone else, I have my own stocks of staples, like rice, beans, and so on.

As far as taste, everything I have tried with Mountain House was quite tasty, which prompted me to purchase more. Their new low sodium products are also a great thing, particularly for folks with special dietary needs.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Having some alternatives, with other nutritional value is a great idea. Having some stuff for camping, BOB, GHB is good. Having some alternatives, which require no refrigeration, such as meat, eggs, etc. is appealing to me. Even if you don't love the taste, it is better than rice and beans indefinitely.

There is nothing wrong with stocking canned goods and rotating it, I would say most folks probably do that as well as other stuff, me too. I find having maximum options and choices is very valuable. A years worth of store bought canned goods take up a lot of space, and if something went wrong, you need a couple of fall back options.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
When it comes to space saving, dehydrated is more compact than freeze dried because it shrinks while drying, unlike freeze dried. It's my personal preference for a number of reasons. Though I have some FD foods, just not a lot.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
I dislike both brands, And this is far from being unbiased research when MH is paying for it. I would not trust it.. So why not just stock good foods that you normally eat and rotate it.. I do that and it works very well.
Simple.

You can't stock milk or cream.
You can't stock eggs (easily).
You can't stock butter.
etc.

We're pretty heavy canners in our house, and we know what we can and cannot set aside either via home canning or via long-term storage in mylar.

There are some products where MH #10 cans are simply efficient and effective ways to accomplish what is otherwise a PITA.

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
It's definitely an an explosive press release and if accurate, it is going to at least cripple Wise. I've called and written to Mountain House asking for a copy of the research, because I don't like that the actual study was not published along with the press release. If I see an actual copy of the research I'll repost it, and if anyone else already has it I'd love to see it! (Maybe one of the MH dealers on Sboards?)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My biggest problem with Wise Foods is their sodium to calorie ratio. It's extremely difficult to find nutrition information on their foods unless you look on an actual package where it's required to be listed.
I have had an ongoing argument with them about the sustainability of surviving on their products. You would well exceed your recommended salt intake if you consumed an adequate amount of calories by eating their products. Provident Pantry and Mountain House both make their nutrition information available and neither have a sodium to calorie ratio anywhere near Wise.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Learn to do it yourself! You will be much better off learning to Can, Grow your own food, Trap, Hunt, Fish, etc....

If the SHTF for an extended period of time those that figured out how to do it themselves are going to be much better off than those who rely solely on emergency food.
And what if there is an event that makes it short term impossible to hunt, fish, etc. Say a biological contamination of the region where you cannot safely leave your home? Say a radiation leak that does not reach your home, but affects much of the wild land around it? etc etc...

How many times have you gone hunting or fishing and gotten nothing? Most people have had it happen AT LEAST once, but when you are trying to keep yourself and your family fed in a stressful time it is not an option.

Stored foods are meant to be a fall back, not the main supply. It is like using a fire extinguisher instead of calling the fire department. You want to have one, but if the better option exists then use it.

If stored foods MUST be your main supply of food, then yeah, you better hope you have the skills to supplement the supply as it runs out. Look at it this way though, stuff like storing MH is exactly the same as smoking and drying meat to get through the winter. It is a lot harder to hunt and fish in winter than summer, especially during storms. A friend of mine lived way up north fro decades and told me once of a winter storm where for more than 10 days it was impossible to leave the house because of the weather.

116 Posts
And what if there is an event that makes it short term impossible to hunt, fish, etc. Say a biological contamination of the region where you cannot safely leave your home? Say a radiation leak that does not reach your home, but affects much of the wild land around it? etc etc...

How many times have you gone hunting or fishing and gotten nothing? Most people have had it happen AT LEAST once, but when you are trying to keep yourself and your family fed in a stressful time it is not an option.

Stored foods are meant to be a fall back, not the main supply. It is like using a fire extinguisher instead of calling the fire department. You want to have one, but if the better option exists then use it.

If stored foods MUST be your main supply of food, then yeah, you better hope you have the skills to supplement the supply as it runs out. Look at it this way though, stuff like storing MH is exactly the same as smoking and drying meat to get through the winter. It is a lot harder to hunt and fish in winter than summer, especially during storms. A friend of mine lived way up north fro decades and told me once of a winter storm where for more than 10 days it was impossible to leave the house because of the weather.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that all of those things would also help you establish your stockpiles for the sceneraios that you mentioned. I'm not discounting the need for emergency food at all, I just think you are probably better off doing it yourself instead of buying a one size fits all solution from one of these emergency food companies.

It's cheaper and you are far more likely to enjoy the taste if you learn how to do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 1107 Posts