Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd take this link and the listed distribution of items, and calculate the calories in the whole bucket to determine if the purchase price is reasonable. That "2 servings per person per day" doesn't add up to much. This only lasts "a month" if there is a lot of other stuff added every day.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/campingsurvival/wisenutrition.pdf

Savory Stroganoff 8-Srv
Chili Macaroni 8-Srv
Pasta Alfredo 8-Srv
Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini 8-Srv
Teriyaki and Rice 8-Srv
Cheesy Lasagna 4-Srv
Creamy Ala King and Rice 8-Srv
Creamy Tomato Basil 8-Srv

Keep in mind the prep time of up to 12 minutes each for those items as well.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,662 Posts
Check out the nutrition labels for that stuff before you go all in on it.

Check sodium levels.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If I remember reading they are 4 servings a day, two per package. I have some in my BOB just because they are a lot lighter than MREs I do carry a few MREs at least enough to get outside the city limits if I ever had to bug out. MREs don't have 25 year shelf life either, just saying if the world doesn't come to an end in the next 10 years your going to be eating a lot of MREs for a while. Canned food on the other hand if you plan to stay in place, wouldn't be bad they have very long shelf life except anything with tomato in it. And you can use them and replace easily as they start to get old. It really depends on your plan are you planning to stay in one spot or bug out. I live in the city some I am getting the heck out of dodge when every there is lull in activity. I lived in the country I would maybe plan for a more bug situation. I have places to go once I make it out of the city. Cans and MREs are obviously going to be heavier, than Wise Foods, but if you plan is to stay, then I would much rather have canned foods or MREs, even though they make you less mobile. Also getting into canning would be a good plan too.

·
survivalist in training
1,954 Posts
They'll send you a free sample if you go to their website, or at least they used to. You should try it first before spending a lot of cash on something like that. Personally, I tried Wise Foods and don't like what I tried.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Amazon has the same product $79 free shipping.

There are pros and cons to this. You can get better bang for your buck building your food preps yourself... But if you are just adding to your food preps as money permits... This takes all the guess work out of it. You get another 60 variety meals for $79-100.

If I got these... ...I'd buy a 50 lbs bag of rice every bucket for just 20 bucks... Then mix each entree with 1 lbs of rice. This would stretch the flavor a lot...and you'd be feeding four people with each entree instead of one. (Try this... It works. It's a trick we learned with Mt House camping packs. Just be prepared with extra spices just in case. Some meals are heavily flavored... Some aren't.)

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,679 Posts
Good thread thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Low sodium

Check out the nutrition labels for that stuff before you go all in on it.

Check sodium levels.
Goose3, we agree with your concerns. We are excited to announce our new Mountain House freeze-dried meals with less than 300mg of sodium. We’d love to send you a free sample! Please message us your name, email and address and we will be sure to get it in the mail.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,607 Posts
When i first started to seriously consider food storage, i went for the buckets, at least i had 100% more than those who did not, theni kept learning, planning, etc., and added a mix of canned goods, packaged goods and various dehydrated/freeze dried goods, along with some mre's to the mix....

Of course the ever present rice n beans were added too....

Do what you can do, afford to do and are able to store..

think 3 days, then a week, and so on, you'll get there eventually...

THis is what i have stashed and then some...not including the freezer and pantry items...

good luck..

Attachments

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Hello, Mountain House and welcome to the forums.

Are you really from Mountain House? And, if so, does your offer for Goose3 extend to others here? I have a lot of MH supplies, and have the same 'sodium levels' concerns when it comes to the entrees, so most of mine are individual ingredient cans - however, I would like to have some more of the entrees if you have addressed the sodium issues in particular.

Goose3, we agree with your concerns. We are excited to announce our new Mountain House freeze-dried meals with less than 300mg of sodium. We’d love to send you a free sample! Please message us your name, email and address and we will be sure to get it in the mail.
And not to divert from the question of this thread ... I would not buy Wise foods products. My 'investigations' (looking at the nutrition vs servings vs price, etc.) lead me to believe that they would have to be the best tasting gourmet foods in the world - and then only consumed on the 6th Sunday of any given month - to be worth the money, no matter how low the rpice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, Mountain House and welcome to the forums.

Are you really from Mountain House? And, if so, does your offer for Goose3 extend to others here? I have a lot of MH supplies, and have the same 'sodium levels' concerns when it comes to the entrees, so most of mine are individual ingredient cans - however, I would like to have some more of the entrees if you have addressed the sodium issues in particular.
Hi Teslin,

I am indeed from Mountain House. I've noticed quite a few people posting about Mountain House on this forum so I wanted to register and say hello, and let people know about our new low sodium meals, since I've also noticed that is a concern for many people. I think these new meals have addressed those concerns without sacrificing the quality or taste that makes Mountain House, well, Mountain House. Thanks for introducing yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts