Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jackpine Savage
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty good cooler that is sitting outback by my shed on a table. It's been sitting there since I got done processing deer back in November.

There was a good meat sale last week that my wife went to and bought more than we could fit into our freezer. We left the meat in the back of her can overnight so it would freeze (well it was there two nights but was frozen the first) and I just took it outback to the cooler about half an hour ago.

Now to get to the point. There were 2 bottles of water, 1 quart of Gaterade, 1 can of A&W root beer, and 1 bottle of flavored water in the cooler. Everything was frozen solid except for the flavored water, it wasn't frozen at all!
Water Bottle Bottled water Liquid Mineral water
Liquid Bottle Water Water bottle Bottled water

I suggest getting some of these bottles and storing them in a small cooler in your vehicule during the winter, or never ever drinking them.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Have you ever seen water flash freeze? It happens pretty often with bottled water. The water can be well below freezing but still liquid. If you give the bottle a good bump the water will freeze (and warm up)in a matter of a couple seconds. I would bet that is what was happening with your bottled water.

·
Jackpine Savage
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you ever seen water flash freeze? It happens pretty often with bottled water. The water can be well below freezing but still liquid. If you give the bottle a good bump the water will freeze (and warm up)in a matter of a couple seconds. I would bet that is what was happening with your bottled water.
Nope. I brought it all in and that flavored water never flash froze, not to mention that everything else was already frozen. You have to remember this is January in northern Michigan and that stuff has been in the cooler for 6-7 weeks with much of it being winter temps. We had -11F a few nights ago. We have snuck some days into the low to mid 30s recently, but most of the time it's below freezing.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I don't think time or temp(as long as it is below freezing long enough for the water to be below freezing). We had about a week of around 0f temps and yesterday when I was getting a shovel out of my van I dropped a bottle of water on the ground and it froze like this. It often takes quite a bump to get it to freeze. I had just driven 20 miles with it bouncing around in the back of the van and it wasn't jolted enough to freeze until I dropped it.

Just out of curiosity I would be interested if you would put it in your freezer and see if it freezes.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I'm thinking it's more that ice cream, salt water, etc. freeze at as much lower temp than water.

Nestle Splash Ingredients:

Purified Water, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Sodium Polyphosphate, Potassium Sorbate (preserve Freshness), Potassium Benzoate (preserve Freshness), Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Calcium Disodium Edta, Magnesium Sulfate.

I'd go with just don't drink this stuff. :sneaky:

·
reluctant sinner
18,886 Posts
I'm not sure I trust "water" that doesn't freeze at the normal temperature. I bough an electric dog water bowl for my wolves kennel when they were about 5. Penny wouldn't drink out of it for 2 winters - outside dog water should have ice in it.

A military 2 quart canteen or 2 is easy enough to put in and remove daily in your car or in the ice chest in the load bed of the truck.

·
Jackpine Savage
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think time or temp(as long as it is below freezing long enough for the water to be below freezing). We had about a week of around 0f temps and yesterday when I was getting a shovel out of my van I dropped a bottle of water on the ground and it froze like this. It often takes quite a bump to get it to freeze. I had just driven 20 miles with it bouncing around in the back of the van and it wasn't jolted enough to freeze until I dropped it.

Just out of curiosity I would be interested if you would put it in your freezer and see if it freezes.
Oh it will freeze, I've had them freeze in the backseat of my truck before. It's just that it's so hard to freeze them. Normally pop and beer are the hardest to freeze I've always suspected the carbonation is the cause. I don't think anything of going to the store and getting a couple 12 pack cans of beer on a Friday and as long as the temp will stay in the double digits I just leave the second one in the truck and get it the next afternoon. Same with bottles of coke and stuff. That's why it's so shocking to me that the A&W root beer froze but not the flavored water especially since it's not carbonated.

·
gard'ner
958 Posts
Pretty sure that it's all the sodium added to the bottled "water" preventing it from freezing...
I can't stand the taste of that stuff.... 'nother reason to avoid as 'NY Min' suggested.

Back when I used to drink alcohol... a 6 pack of beer left in the car in the winter would freeze... except for the alcohol... made some good drinking... until the alcohol was drank off and there was just the other liquid as it melted...

To your point about traveling emergency water... I think I'd rather just rely on the soda bottle full of tap water that I take from the freezer and add to my lunch cooler...

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
I don't care for the water that has been frozen, it is stale.
It needs to be oxygenated to bring back the good taste.
Dad and I would freeze a jug half-filled with water and in the morning fill it for consumption at work.
The water I have stored it is a foregone conclusion that it needs filtered and oxygenated for consumption, so I don't bother freezing it for later consumption, however. I do freeze water to enhance the efficiency of the freezer when it is not full of food. and if the power goes out I can move these to the refrigerator to preserve what's in there.
If there are freezing temperatures through the night the bottles are set outside where they will refreeze and then return them to the refrigerator for the day. Obviously, if it's too warm out side the inverter is put into play running the refrigerator and refreezing water. I have smaller refrigerators to use as the big one empties. Ice making is the priority if there is no snow outside to take advantage of.
I did this living in the mountains and we had no generator then.
A full-size dishpan of snow was as good as half the size of a block of ice, so making ice was more efficient.
Some things you don't want to freeze but still needed refrigeration like meat or milk your using Ice in the fridge works, otherwise an ice chest outside worked for a freezer just to keep critters out.

·
Business Owner
3,103 Posts
I love when water is at the flash-freeze temp. I have a dorm fridge that gets cold enough to do that with water, and bottles of tea. Its awesome to pour it over ice and watch a mountain of slush build up.

·
Jackpine Savage
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Watch out for the root beer! They made cans so thin these days, almost every frozen can leaks in my experience.
Actually I just put it in the kitchen sink and let it thaw and it was fine.

Few years back I had half of a 2 liter of coke frozen in the back seat of my truck. My wife picked the kids up from school and they found it back there and started banging on it because it was melting enough that the edges were a bit slushy. Anyway one of the kids hit it and it literally exploded. Wife said it sounded like a rock came through the back window! Coke slush covering everything in the truck. Guess it made a real mess. I just know they sure were excited when they told me about it.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,248 Posts
I looked at the bottle in the top picture and it looks like there is no room for expansion of the ice, i.e., no headspace in the bottle at all.

Without space to expand, that water isn't going to freeze unless the bottle bursts. But if you opened the bottle, it'd freeze just like that.

Reactions: Potawatomi II
1 - 16 of 16 Posts