Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Right Hand Man
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a portable stove that I can use to heat my shelter..The primary use will be heat not cooking. Does anyone have any good ideas how to build one without having to do any welding? Thanks in advance.

·
Right Hand Man
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size to you have in mind? I might be able to help further if I know how big you want or need.
I'd say small enough to carry by itself in it's own backpack or bag. Basically something that can be easily moved and carried to different locations. Thanks in advance for your help:)

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
Never used them and nobody has responded to my question on if they are any good, but check these out...

http://www.packsaddleshop.com/fourdogstove.html
I remember them being mentioned and spoken highly of in an article on bugging out a couple of years ago in Backwoodsman magazine. I'll do some digging around and try to find the article and refresh my memory as to what was said about them. From the website you gave, they look like a pretty good deal.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I remember them being mentioned and spoken highly of in an article on bugging out a couple of years ago in Backwoodsman magazine. I'll do some digging around and try to find the article and refresh my memory as to what was said about them. From the website you gave, they look like a pretty good deal.
I was thinking of having one around as emergency heat at my home (for a single room downstairs, not the whole home)...actually having all the appropriate pipes in place in advance of needing it. I was hoping to get more info from people who have actually used the or seen them in action first. I'm leary. :)

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
The Fourdogs desgin looks pretty decent and fairly robust (at least on paper) but I'm not sure what your level of metalwork is. Materials alone would be a bit spendy I would guess.

·
Not new
602 Posts
Caldera Cone or Caldera Clone

I have the Caldera Ti-Tri WetFire, alcohol stove or wood fire and Gossamer Gear Caldera Keg I use with WetFire tabs in mild weather.

I have considered using a wicking alcohol stove with my Caldera Ti-Tri winter stove setup like this one, for example, from MBD.

If you don't care for a wood fire, or fires are prohibited, maybe select the cooking pan and have an alcohol stove only Caldera Cone made.

Here are more selections for the Caldera Ti-Tri that uses WetFire, alcohol stove or wood fire.

I have the computer program for making Caldera Clone with sheet titanium available online. I could search around for it. It allows you to make a clone for a different cooking pot than they list or experiment with a different type of an alcohol stove, because of the flame pattern for your cooking pot and the heat output and height of the pot above the flame.

In any event, it is an efficient integrated stove, pot and windscreen design.

edit: For heating the shelter, I have this stove marketed under a different name in a 15Lx8Wx9H "hunter" trailer.

Here are more small stoves for heating a larger space. The 2-dog stove is also called a shepherd's stove is reasonably portable. There are shepherd's stove designs that collapse for packing. I would worry about leaking CO2 on the collapsing models. This stove collapses for packing: the outfitter is very reputable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts