Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if wine would be a good storage item? I know there are people with wine cellars that store wines for many years. Are there special requirements other than cool and dark and what would be the best wines for long term storage?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
hi wepsbee, cool, dark and humid are the conditions you want for storage. and as consistant a temp as you can get, about 55 degrees.

Store your bottles on their sides or slightly inverted, thats what i do. Red wines are best for storage, champagne stores well, and there are a few white wines that can store too. Most wine you buy at the market is ready to drink and will taste best right away. Im no expert, but have read that most wines that are worthwhile storing are hundreds if not thousands of dollars a botlle. Im out of that price range, and a novice at any rate. I store what i enjoy drinking.

I just laid back 3 cases of my favorite red wine, because I love it and want to make sure I get some before Its all sold out for this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi im new at this thing,but if i may be so bold as to have the audacety to sugest,at the risk of the connosieurs of wine rising ire to try powered wine ,i know ,iknow is not the same as a well aged bottle but hey is for survival purposes only! hope this helps! you can google it ,i tried it it wasnt that bad.please pardon my spelling and any other inconvenience i may have incuured

·
Registered
247 Posts
Anne36 has it right. Wine is easy enough to make though and really no reason to store much of it unless like her you have a favorite kind or vintage or are a collector. Wine will pretty much make itself.

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
I was wondering if wine would be a good storage item? I know there are people with wine cellars that store wines for many years. Are there special requirements other than cool and dark and what would be the best wines for long term storage?
I think wine would be a good storage item - just bulky. One standard 750mL bottle is only five glasses of wine.

The important thing is the cork. If it's real cork, you have to store the bottles on their sides, so that the cork doesn't dry out. It's really important to keep oxygen out of wine. Also - if it's real cork, you have to consider "corking" losses. Bad corks can impart a really nasty flavor to wine - you'll know how bad if you've ever tasted a corked wine.

Synthetic corks are a lot easier to deal with - they don't have any of the negatives that a real cork does.

White wines are usually only good for "short term" storage... The average is about 7 years. After that the drinkability suffers.

Red wines hold up better for long term storage - like anywhere from the 10 to 100 year range. But you can't age a crap red wine and make it better. Crap in, crap out.

Madeira - a type of fortified wine - has been known to hold up for over 100 years. That would probably be the best choice - it doesn't need cool temperatures like wine, can withstand fluctuations in temperature, and isn't affected by exposure to oxygen.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
If you put your wine in a plastic Ice Mountain water jug, then freeze it, the water content will freeze, but the alcohol content won't

You can make "Hiiiiigh Octane" Wine shine that way.

[EDIT]
Personally, the BEST wines are small home brews, not he expensive winery made stuff. If you get the equipment, you can make plenty of your own, in the same space.

I have 10 gallons of Chinese Rice wine fermenting in my living room as we speak.

All you need is a Fermentation container, a large glass jug with a tall neck to let the wine clear (allow sediments settle), and a big oak barrel for it to mature in.

You can get 55 gallon wooden barrels, same for all the other gear. With the right set up, you can have wine on tap all year, with excess!

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
I am not a big wine drinker, except for the sweet cheap stuff, or a good bottle of Muscatto desert wine or sweet sparkling wines. The dry, bitter, red or white is just not pleasant to my taste buds.
However, the sweeter stuff is a treat after a long hard day. I remember a camping trip where my wife and I decided to go for a hike. We got turned around and lost for a few hours in the heat of the day. We finally made it back to camp after several miles of walking and sweating. We took a cool dip in a creek and got cleaned up, changed clothes and sat down. My wife broke out a cool bottle of Muscatto, and we had the best glass of wine we ever had. It was sooooo good, we vowed to take a bottle with us on every trip we made. All of that to say this........

I am very big on morale boosters. Anything that helps, heals or pleases in a survival, or hard situation can help you get through and maintain your focus. A bath or shower, clean clothes, or even clean underwear and socks can make a huge difference on the human mind and attitude. Therefore, I say some good wine of your choice is an excellent item to put away for a rainey day. What could be better, if you were in a SHTF situation for a few days, and break out a good bottle of wine or your favorite beverage and relax for a while. It helps.:thumb:

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
I will add, if you are in a long term SHTF, the activity of MAKING the wine, and later drinking it is a great moral booster too!
That would be a very cool thing to know about and be able to do. I think in the long term, it may also be a good bartering item too. I may have to look into wine making. Thanks for the tip Dragon!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
red wines do store a lot better, and can easily be converted to vinager (which can be ued for cooking or preservation in a bind)- actually i keep some of the box reds (I know, a tragedy, but storage is a cinch)-

otherwise, a good red will keep well, keep it dark and some moisture. I keep some stonger stuff around, like brandies, for mixing, cooking, medicinal and for morale boost. Note that ports shouold be kept with a dry cork. Everclear , if you can get it, is great stuff at like 90% ethanol- drinkable, burnable and vehicle usable (well, maybe).

With the exchange rates, stay away from the Frog stuff and the Spanish stuff- ehy aren't worth the price anyways as far as I'm concerned. A good California Cab. Sauv. will keep for years under good condition (they never last that long, sooner or alter I have a good dinner that warrants one.) ;-)

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
hi wepsbee, cool, dark and humid are the conditions you want for storage. and as consistant a temp as you can get, about 55 degrees.

Store your bottles on their sides or slightly inverted, thats what i do. Red wines are best for storage, champagne stores well, and there are a few white wines that can store too. Most wine you buy at the market is ready to drink and will taste best right away. Im no expert, but have read that most wines that are worthwhile storing are hundreds if not thousands of dollars a botlle. Im out of that price range, and a novice at any rate. I store what i enjoy drinking.

I just laid back 3 cases of my favorite red wine, because I love it and want to make sure I get some before Its all sold out for this year.
What kind is it, I'll get some and try it? :)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The best wines to stock up on are the ones you drink. It's also handy to have wines you would cook with; I don't like red wine but I use it in beef dishes, for example [adds a lot of flavor to beef stew]. The Frug [Frugal Gourmet] always said 'don't cook with what you won't drink'.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Chateau Pichon Lalande Pauillac is a great red wine for both storing and drinking.

Chateau Haut Bergeron produce a splendid Sauternes which is VERY underpriced. It is also great to drink now and will get even better with age.

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts
In a SHTF situation, I've got the perfect place for wine storage.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
I'm with the Professor on this one....

When the mushroom clouds start rising, I intend to take in the view with a glass of shiraz in hand.

T

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
F the stupid mushroom clouds.

If you can ferment, the next step is to be able to distill. It's not that hard if you have some technical know how. If you can distill, you can make drinkable, flammable almost pure alcohol that can power cars, generators, be used in medicine, as a topical pain killer and 101 other things.

Any true survivalist will be skilled at making moonshine, or any other form of alcoholic liquid.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Got 18 gallons ready to bottle by the 15th of Jan. (about 90 bottles) +48 bottles of beer ready right now.

Wine kits today bring the top end product right to your kitchen. Be sure to invest in a floor corker and 2" #9 corks or they will go leaky and spoil before 5 years time.

Have an alaskan sour dough starter and another ready to go for sour.

The bible tells you heaven is the kingdom of expansion. One should know all of the wine and yeast parables.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts