Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is only 2 weeks away.

How many of you have clicked 'reserve' and how many of you are sticking with 8.1 or Win7?

I am going to stick with Windows 7.

I dont like all this 'Software as a Service' thing Microsoft is pushing atm & the fact you have to be 'logged in' to your Microsoft account at all times for things to work smoothly.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
not sure what the time limit is for downloading w10 for free, but i'm going to wait and see how the reviews go first. i'm doing a major desktop upgrade in the next few weeks and will wait til it's done as well.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
My main computer is running windows 7 I will keep that as is. I also have a windows 8.1 laptop, windows 8.1 stinks so bad that it is mostly just gathering dust. I will upgrade that computer as I find it unusable as is anyway.

·
(Nothing to See Here)
321 Posts
I definitely will wait and see reviews. My desktop is running 8 right now, my laptop is a MacBook pro, which is having its own set of issues right now.

·
Quitting Social Media
462 Posts
I use Win8.1 on one of my main systems because of the system(not the OS)'s extreme power efficiency(baytrail, 2-5W computer; wont' take win7 or earlier), the others all run XP SP2 (superior than anything newer if <= 3-4gb ram).

I find Win8.1 very bad from an user interface/metro and simple removed features; but I'll be avoiding Win10 like the plague, at least mostly because of the forced updates for home edition, and then for allowing OEMs to lock the secure boot to create windows ONLY PC's for the first time(It'll only be on the lower cost systems first, but eventually it'll kill the open PC imo)...

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,880 Posts
I will not be updating my computers. They work fine now with Windows 7 premium home edition.
I still have a Vista machine that I finally turned off in disgust years ago. The thing would not connect to a printer that it was connected to with a freakin cable! Tried 3 different printers. it would work once or twice then refuse to connect.

I have zero trust in Microsoft's ability to deliver anything new. And why do they issue updates to fix grievous security vulnerabilities every day? I would never have dreamed a company could suck so bad. They practically invented computer software and lo these many years later they still have emergency vulnerabilities that need patched?

If it works I ain't messin with it. and somehow through random chance Windows 7 seems to work reasonably well. :)

I think that "giant sucking sound" Ross Perot heard was not Mexico. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Windows 10 is not much different than windows 8.1 (I have the technical preview) Instead of the large tiles they added small tiles to the start menu. I think it will fail just like Windows 8 because they still have not gave us the true start menu needed to operate the computer. This is using the last update so maybe they will change it again. What they still have is two completely different ways to change settings. Absolutely confusing and unnecessary. They need to use the Windows 7 start menu and settings and apply it to Windows 10. Nothing else.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
not sure what the time limit is for downloading w10 for free, but i'm going to wait and see how the reviews go first. i'm doing a major desktop upgrade in the next few weeks and will wait til it's done as well.
Free upgrade time is for one year starting from the launch date. My plan is to install/upgrade as many computers as possible, then collect keys and possibly revert back to Win7 they came with. Keep the keys for future upgrade. I hope that would work :D

I'm probably going to install Win10 in this work computer that I've been running Win8.1 so far. Just because I need to know how things work even if I don't like them :D That's why I haven't installed alternative start menu programs either (I do have one installed at home though).

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,309 Posts
I will not be updating my computers. They work fine now with Windows 7 premium home edition.
I still have a Vista machine that I finally turned off in disgust years ago. The thing would not connect to a printer that it was connected to with a freakin cable! Tried 3 different printers. it would work once or twice then refuse to connect.

I have zero trust in Microsoft's ability to deliver anything new. And why do they issue updates to fix grievous security vulnerabilities every day? I would never have dreamed a company could suck so bad. They practically invented computer software and lo these many years later they still have emergency vulnerabilities that need patched?

If it works I ain't messin with it. and somehow through random chance Windows 7 seems to work reasonably well. :)
Microsuck has always been the great imitator not the great innovator.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I reserved my copy on all my machines that qualify.

I know it got a bad rap, but I actually kindof dig Windows 8 on my Venue 11 tablet/laptop hybrid. The new UI takes some getting used to, but it works great on touchscreen devices. For desktops, using a mouse, it just plan sucks.

My main machine, and the one I spend the most time on running my business and doing my job, is Windows 7 and will probably stay that way for awhile. Upgrades are always hugely disruptive whether they "go well" or not and I'm not about to lose a couple days work just to be on the latest & greatest. I'll put it on my tablet, and probably my laptop which I use while on the road, but my primary machine is staying on Win7.

As for the whole subscription thing - yeah, it's probably coming. Everyone suspected it when Microsoft announced Win10 would be a free upgrade. Win8 is so tightly integrated with OneDrive and their other cloud services, they're pushing the whole SaaS (Software as a Service) model pretty hard.

It'll be awhile until they go to a full subscription model, if at all. Time will tell. I won't say it's impossible, but I doubt MS is going to just say "hey, by the way, you have to start paying $50/year now to continue using Windows 10." I do, however, seeing them turning Win10 into a subscription-based model for new features and upgrades.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts