Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rider
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't use Win10 and I'm also cynical enough to be suspicious of NSA's motives on this, but just passing along .....

https://www.wired.com/story/nsa-windows-10-vulnerability-disclosure/

Microsoft released a patch for Windows 10 and Server 2016 today (1/14/20) after the National Security Agency found and disclosed a serious vulnerability. It's a rare but not unprecedented tip-off, one that underscores the flaw's severity—and maybe hints at new priorities for the NSA.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,459 Posts
I don't use Win10 and I'm also cynical enough to be suspicious of NSA's motives on this, but just passing along
Just the fact that Microsoft tried to force everyone on Windows 7 to upgrade for free is enough to be suspicious. Plus, Windows 10 has always been loaded with spyware.

But according to Microsoft, that spyware is only there to help them improve the user experience. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Maybe it's just me.. but I find something uniquely evil about a government agency that:

• forced private companies to provide access to their customer's data by including "back doors" in their code
  • also prohibited said companies from telling their customers about giving access,
  • then reposited this data on at a taxpayer paid for data center and
  • also lied about doing that....

.....issuing a warning about a security flaw...

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,895 Posts
Maybe it's just me.. but I find something uniquely evil about a government agency that:

• forced private companies to provide access to their customer's data by including "back doors" in their code
  • also prohibited said companies from telling their customers about giving access,

It's the same with every dual-use technology ever created....

The stated intent is benevolent vigilance against evil people threatening our society.

The unstated reality is that the same technical access needed to monitor evil people provides the State with the ability to monitor everyone else. Everywhere else.

Forever.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Just the fact that Microsoft tried to force everyone on Windows 7 to upgrade for free is enough to be suspicious. Plus, Windows 10 has always been loaded with spyware.

But according to Microsoft, that spyware is only there to help them improve the user experience. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:
LOL... Yeahh free upgrade from Win7 was definitely a warning shot over the bow. The fact that you can buy an activation key for Win10 for as cheap as you can buy an activation key for Win7 is also a bit of a clue as well.

There is now software to eliminate Cortana from your Win 10 system which does help to remove a lot of extra crap. If you work at it you can shut down most everything that is a problem though you also have to shut down updating as well. You can get by Microsofts crap on Win10, but personally it doesn't seem worth the extra effort. It is far easier to lock down and lock out Microsoft on Win7.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,777 Posts

It's like hiring ex burglars to give home security advice. Sure, it will be great advice, but now they know where your good stuff is.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
The NSA admitted to helping Microsuck with it's security starting with Vista, but by all the accounts that I have read a backdoor has existed since Win95 OSR2.
I watched a show on tv, had to be back in about 96 to 98 as I stopped watching tv in 2000. It talked about the fact that the Federal government had paid Microsoft for a backdoor to it's software. They showed how they could remotely turn on a computer and access files etc. Then the show went into emp devices for disabling car electronics and then on to electronic camouflage utilizing LED vehicle coverings.

The show was using the pretext of militants hiding out in a building and they showed the remote hacking of computer files, then the Federal agents approaching basically invisible to the eye using the new electronic camouflage techniques etc.

The back doors in Microsofts software is not a "new" thing. Myself I don't really care except that it interferes with the performance of my computer, I have nothing to hide from the government, Microsoft and Google on the other hand I would prefer to hide everything from.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

There's spyware in Win 7 and 8.1.

There are also reports that show how spying can be done through computer hardware, tapping undersea cables, etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have look on alternative OS, Manjaro.org. It is based on ArchLinux... I have this on my kids laptop and mine. See also PureOS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts