Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Come and Take Them!
2,967 Posts
Solar and Wind are both antiquated, and inadequate technologies. China is investing heavily in Nuclear Power. We should be doing the same. Plentiful, affordable energy is the driving factor of our economy. In five years, we will be at a distinct competitive disadvantage with China.

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
29,775 Posts
Solar and Wind are both antiquated, and inadequate technologies. China is investing heavily in Nuclear Power. We should be doing the same. Plentiful, affordable energy is the driving factor of our economy. In five years, we will be at a distinct competitive disadvantage with China.
Nuclear power has its place and I agree that the technology needs to be developed, but it has flaws that solar and wind compensate for. The biggest of those is decentralization. Nuclear plants are large and expensive(right now). They promote centralizing of power generation that has to deal with power transmission and security threats(not to mention waste disposal). Solar can be built nearly anywhere and wind in not many fewer places. Single residences and small neighborhoods can use them; something impossible for nuclear power without major innovation. Electricity is like government; the more you can get locally, the better.

But the REAL issue is government subsidizing business. They should not be picking winners and losers. May the best technology win.

·
Registered
33,183 Posts
I don't mind ending all subsidies and tax breaks for solar and wind as long as they are ended for all businesses and industries.

In fact, I encourage it.
I have mixed feeling about those tax breaks for industry for hiring the handicapped etc. I know my niece works for a company and I know they get a small tax break directly as it relates to her employment but not for the entire company.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have mixed feeling about those tax breaks for industry for hiring the handicapped etc. I know my niece works for a company and I know they get a small tax break directly as it relates to employment but not for the entire company.
The demtards defining a business subsidy are a profit. Marxism 101.

·
Come and Take Them!
2,967 Posts
Nuclear power has its place and I agree that the technology needs to be developed, but it has flaws that solar and wind compensate for. The biggest of those is decentralization. Nuclear plants are large and expensive(right now). They promote centralizing of power generation that has to deal with power transmission and security threats(not to mention waste disposal). Solar can be built nearly anywhere and wind in not many fewer places. Single residences and small neighborhoods can use them; something impossible for nuclear power without major innovation. Electricity is like government; the more you can get locally, the better.

But the REAL issue is government subsidizing business. They should not be picking winners and losers. May the best technology win.
Toshiba has a 4S reactor that can be delivered or removed on one semi truck. It uses low level uranium for fuel, and can power 10,000 homes for 30 years without refueling. At $25M, that is $2500 per home for 30 years of electricity.

A 1000 Megawatt facility can now be sited on as little as 15 acres, and technology is available to use or reprocess spent fuel rods currently being stored.

Unlike wind and solar, nuclear power is online 24/7 night or day.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,790 Posts
Wind and solar would work better if they produced a stable liquid fuel.
Lets face it, we are not ever going to get an affordable, safe, large scale battery technology.
IMO, a much better non fossil energy source for the electric grid is geothermal power.

·
reluctant sinner
17,473 Posts
How much good does the gubernment actually do? The only thing they are really good at is making new taxes to support more gubernment. Oh and killing people in far away lands - they are really good at that - but its not cheap like 3000 rounds per casualty or six 100 grand missiles per outhouse.

Your car needs to get say 50 miles per gallon, but they will not make synchronizing the traffic lights a law or putting them in blinking mode during the off hours late at night or early in morning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts