Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
just got my first gun!
A Model 600 Winchester, made in Canada(Stamped on the barrel) and it says: 'COOEY' on it, not sure what that means! Lol. It's a .22, long and short, 12 shot tube mag, bolt action.
It's a bit beat-up, hopefully can post some pics tomorrow, but if anyone knows anything cool about this gun, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Sean.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Cooey made Winchester, under license, in Canada until the 1970s...They are exact duplicates, parts interchange, they were not made any cheaper except the stock wood wasn't walnut but dyed beech (?) I think and that the union wages weren't as high in Canada...All the major stores HBCo, T. Eaton's, Simpson-Sears and every town hardware store sold them...

It should take LR, L and S and and you can load them in any order you wish, as it will shoot them all...

Weaver makes a scope mount for it if you want to glass it...

My first rimfire (1957) was a single shot and then a tube feed repeater (1963) by them, which I still have...They also made single shot shotguns and IIRC a Model 94 copy...

I have a couple of Inuit friends of mine who use their single shot rifles and shotguns to this day that their family bought in the 1940s and 50s...second, third and now fourth generations on the guns and believe me they are used "hard"!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, cool! It looks pretty nifty, wouldn't mind putting a scope on it, they take sidemounts or something? But don't want a big, stupid looking thing, but would like vari-power. Like 3-7/9. Any suggestions that aren't too pricey?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, I pulled it apart and I'm prepping the stock for refinishing.
As a general rule, are tube magazines able to be disconnected? I couldn't think of a way to get it off, theres not clip points or bolts etc, kinda look like pins that have the ends flattened down. And I want to re-blue the barrel, so I think it might impede my process...?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Usually there is a support loop dovetailed into the barrel that supports a tube mag. The tube is usually pinned through this support tube. You can use a pin punch to remove the pin. You can get a punch at a good hardware store or Brownells. After being unpinned they will usually slip out to the front.

You will be able to see how they are put together if you go to the the Gun Parts Company website. They will have exploded parts diagrams for almost everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts