Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this combo last year, on sale, and just over heard the older kids got the large fixed blade for me. It's not a Busse but it is full tang, unlike the Moras. They are good learners.

I'll try to wait until they go back to college before I baton it through some logs.
:rolleyes:PING!

I'll post some pics. For around 15.00 it looks hard to beat.

Got to go. The young ones are finally :sleep:
Ho, ho, ho:taped:

Merry Christmas!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of the larger 5 inch blade Winchester beside a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman.

The Winchesters stainless steel is soft. I reworked the final bevel fairly easy. It was still sharp after some battoning through a old cedar log. It is a little short for that kind of work. I did beat the crap out of it and split off a dozen pieces of wood. It still had a sharp edge, but battoning puts more stress on the knife, than the knife edge.

It is too short to get much leverage for chopping, but it is curved and heavy, which aids in it's chopping ability, IMO. The handle is definitely ergonomic for any task. It strips branches off saplings very easily.

The handle on the Cold Steel kind of cuts into your hand, but the Krupp Stainless steel seems very impressive at cutting ability, edge holding, and came razor sharp. I'll have to come back to that later.

It is much heavier than a Mora Clipper, but I would have more confidence beating the crap out of it. It totally kicks the crap out of an Ontario Quartermaster. The thin skinny tapered tang of the Quartermaster bent after a few wacks.

I'd say for 15.00 at Wall-mart, it is a good deal.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts