Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wasr 10/63. I shoot it very well, and havent had a single failure of any type. Would this rifle be ok for SHTF, or should i get a "Higher quality" AK? I love my Wasr, but have a friend who thinks arsenal are just leaps aad bounds over the wasr, so what should I do?

·
Premium Member
13,108 Posts
I have a Wasr 10/63. I shoot it very well, and havent had a single failure of any type. Would this rifle be ok for SHTF, or should i get a "Higher quality" AK? I love my Wasr, but have a friend who thinks arsenal are just leaps aad bounds over the wasr, so what should I do?
CAI Wasr rifles have earned the reputation for legendary AK durability over the years, mag. wobble and all.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you can shoot it well, maintain it and get ammo for it you are good to go. Is a X > than a X?.. not if you can not hit the target with ether one be it for lack of ammo, function or skills!

·
Registered
620 Posts
So, I'm sitting here, reading this thread, and say to myself, "Hey! It's been a month of Sundays since I shot my WASR 10/63..."

So I left the safety and comfort of the 'puter, headed on out to my dining room, opened the safe, and after removing several guns sitting in front of it...reached into the dark recesses of the safe, and took out my WASR.

It's fitted with a folding stock (to which I've added a 'cushion' of paracord), has a beautiful wooden forearm, and is 'stock' beyond my having set the open sights for a hundred yards a good long while ago.

I jacked a round in, stood on the threshold of my back door, and could just see about 3 inches of my .22LR limestone target. It is a slab of limestone, about 4 inches thick, shaped somewhat like Wisconsin, and about 16 inches across. I love to shoot it with my Ruger Takedown and watch the little puffs of 'smoke' as the bullets pockmark its surface. It sits about 15 inches high, of which only about three inches of the face of it can be seen over my hilly lawn...from the threshold of my door.

So, I laid'er against the doorframe, took a fine bead on the protruding three inches of limestone, and let fly. One shot. At about 95 yards.

One shot only, because the whole upper half of the target disintegrated like a small explosion of dust, small sand-like particles, and even a few marble to fist sized pieces, which by default, will now become the new target(s).

So yeah, I'd say the WASR can do the trick. I've got other 7.62s (Saigas) but they're my truck and beater guns. If ever the need is great, and I have to go into the valley of the shadow of death, the WASR will accompany me, and I won't feel the least bit undergunned.

Shotgun Bill

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Grossly inadequate. Romainia didn't win the cold war with it.....

I'll be nice, I'll give you $100 towards a blue blooded quazi death ray gun snob AK and you give me that WASR. That is more than a generous offer.

You're good to go.

MY personal opinion on any firearm. Get some good ammo for it. Quality hunting grade expanding ammunition.

IF you won't shoot a deer with it, would you trust your life to it?

Go ahead, get a good bit of that affordable import stuff. But keep about 10% of some good stuff. Sellier and Bellot 123gr soft points are on sale from time to time at Cabelas. I bought a whole bunch when they were $9 for 20 rounds. They knock coyotes down like bowling pins. Yet to get a deer with one. I rotate guns and the SKS wasn't out when a buck walked around. This fall, it's all SKS for deer.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Don't forget to mount a scope on it to enhance your over all accuracy with it. We are NOT talking about trying to turn an AK into a sniper rifle. We are talking about mounting a scope on it to increase accuracy for survival hunting needs and for defensive survival needs. Just a simple 4 X or 4 power scope will help make your shooting better. That was why the British Army went with SUSAT 4 X scopes and we adopted the ACOG for our troops.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Fine weapon in terms of value for the money. If I could add a thought, make sure you've got some extra magazines for it. And having a more than adequate store of ammunition is also probably a good idea.

·
Registered
94 Posts
An Ak is an Ak, the expensive ones have better fit and finish, the accuracy is more dependant on the shooter than the gun. Anyone who says any different is a typical gun snob. I have shot AK-47s and AKMs since the early 90s. I own expensive ones and "cheap" ones, the cheapest one shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards. You will be fine as long as you do your part, practice and master the irons before you add a red dot or scope.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
My Arsenal SAM-7 is "pretty", but I doubt that it is any more likely to go "bang" than your rifle is, and at self-defense distances, the POSSIBLE accuracy difference is only useful in settling internet squabbles.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
WASR comes in two forms. Fine out of the box, and Lemon. 9 times out of 10 if it was fine out of the box it will continue to be until you wear it the hell out, which could be a long while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My opinion, your good to go, the ammo is amazingly cheap. you can usually get it from sportsman's guide for under 5 dollars for 20 rounds and good deals up to 1000 rounds. As for the gun, the military channel made the ak the number one rifle of all time. Whe wasr is just the Romanian version. It said in the episode that it takes on the average 2 days to teach a American soldier to properly care for and maintain the m4 colt. It takes 2 hours to learn everything about an ak and be proficient at it. They also showed and insurgent banging the barrel straight with a rock. I wouldnt worry about the rifles ability to protect you and your loved ones, just stockpile your ammo and train, train, train. A side note if you have a single stack wasr I once seen a video that involved a dremel that with a little persuasion you could switch them to accepting double stack mags.

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
Your Wasr is fine. I'm sure it shoots minute of man or deer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts