Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you’ve spent any time surfing the Web lately, you probably noticed ”stories” and ads that say that life on Earth will end in December 2012. The stories are usually accompanied by a small image that shows a comet bearing down on Earth, and links to various cultural and biblical claims, few which seem to involve any sort of fact or reason. There’s also a major Hollywood movie coming out in November titled, “2012,” which has created additional buzz.

We sought insight from Brian Dunning of Newport Beach, who produces Skeptoid, a highly respected podcast that skewers pseudoscience

http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.com/2009/03/07/will-the-world-end-in-2012-an-oc-experts-says/21153/

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
EX

Main Entry: 1 ex
Pronunciation: \(ˈ)eks\
Function: preposition
Etymology: Latin
Date: circa 1755

1. A has been

SPURT

Main Entry: 1 spurt
Pronunciation: \ˈspərt\
Function: verb
Etymology: perhaps akin to Middle High German spürzen to spit
Date: 1570

1. A drip under pressure

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually syndicate articles on this subject, (google Beau Hermes) and the short answer is no. However, we are now in the process of transitioning into regional societies. We're just starting the birthing pains stage of what the ancients called The Golden Age. It takes our solar system 26,000 years to make one complete trip around our Milky Way Galaxy and line back up with its center. This will occur again on exactly December 21, 2012. Our sun rises in the very center of "The Dark Rift" as its been called. We'll continue having our birthing pains become stronger & closer together until we get on the other side of 12-21-2012.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Since the dawn of time, I don't think there has been a civilization that didn't believe they are living in the end times. What causes me to be more skeptical about the 2012 alignment is shouldn't we be experiencing some effects of that alignment as we draw closer? I know some will say climate change, earthquakes, etc. are becoming more frequent...blah blah. But I dont see any more happening in the world than what has happened in the past, then again I may be just an ignorant 'hayseed' in Indiana corn country :)

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
The world has ended half a dozen times in my lifetime, only the "experts" never got the dates right so I dont believe a word these idiots say.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I doubt the world will end in 2012. I think Obama will not be in power in 2013. He will either be overthrown by the "birthers" or voted out of office. Either way we will be under fascist control by 2020. President Obama's administration will be the last democraticly elected if the economy does not turn around in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I did a little quick researching about this whole 2012 thing. From what I found, it is very simple. The myans had a measure of time called baktuns. 13 baktuns make 1 epoch. December 21 2012 is the end of the 13th baktun, completeing the first epoch. that is it. No comets, black holes, plagues. The planet alignment seems to be a non event also. Scientists say that it will have no more affect on the Earth than the planets passing each other on by one. The gravitational force does not multiply together causing a super death ray on the earth. It is like saying that the end is near every January 31 because there are no more pages on the calendar. It is just the completion of a measure of time and the beginning of the next.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a book about the 2012 issue at Barnes & Noble. It was a collection of works from "accredited individuals" on the subject. Out of dozens of essays, some of them were actually pretty good- but they had very little to do with the mayan 2012 predictions.

Really though, you can interpret ANY time to be the end of days. Shoot, in the 50's and 60's everyone thought they were a button-push away from eradication:

Reactions: ANZAC

·
high on truck stop coffee
16,571 Posts
It's much more then Mayan predictions..the polar shift that's predicted..being a once in 26,000 year event got my attention.Combined with biblical prophecy of the current Pope being the last,this resonates with the ancient Chinese book 'I Ching'.So I guess it's party time,we only got a bit less than 4 years left. :upsidedown:

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
It's much more then Mayan predictions..the polar shift that's predicted..being a once in 26,000 year event got my attention.Combined with biblical prophecy of the current Pope being the last,this resonates with the ancient Chinese book 'I Ching'.So I guess it's party time,we only got a bit less than 4 years left. :upsidedown:
Thanks for mentioning this. I believe one of the cable channels (NatGeo or maybe History) covered a lot more than just the Mayan predictions, and of course Nostrodamus made it into the various predictions as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts