Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Archangle
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking or wondering if that fact that i am prepping will make me stay somewhere i shouldnt because "I AM READY FOR ANYTHING." I like to think i am aware enough to make the right choice but what if i overthink it one day to long.

Am I the only one that this bothers or have others thought about this. What situations would cause you to say ..'nope i am heading out'..

Just curious.

·
Spooky
1,698 Posts
Man, not me. Like many things in life, you can never be "done" prepping.

If you have secured access to clean drinking water, you've stored at least several weeks' worth of food and you have a shotgun with ammo, you're waaaaaay ahead of 99% of the population.

Is that enough? Of course not but it's not bad either. And don't stop.

·
Registered
34,020 Posts
yes, I have been prepping for a year now. I have food, water plans, ammo, alternative energy, first aid, books, seeds, fuel stored, firewood and wood stove, hand tools and on and on.

Even with my best made plans I have no illusions of what to expect. If we collapse, if the S really does HTF this will be the most difficult crisis any of us have ever faced without a doubt.

The issue of security alone will be daunting. Most of us have never seen the face of true starvation and desperation. We will be shocked to see the nice insurance executive down the street suddenly willing to kill for a few cans of food and he won't allow anyone to get in his way. If you have ever tired to save someone from drowning you know what I mean, they will climb on you to save themselves..it's just human nature.

This will not be some big camp-out, this will be hell on earth.

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,780 Posts
I have trouble seeing how anyone could be over-confident. Unless you are independently wealthy or won the lottery, I cannot imagine that you are ever "done" prepping. And even then there is always something new to learn.

I have moments of satisfaction ... I finally got those chickens ... or I learned about some native and ornamental plants I can eat that were up til now just a nuisance ... or I can finally tear down my AR without help ... those kinds of fleeting moments, but you are never "fully" done, are you?

·
Not if, but when.
172 Posts
I was just thinking or wondering if that fact that i am prepping will make me stay somewhere i shouldnt because "I AM READY FOR ANYTHING." I like to think i am aware enough to make the right choice but what if i overthink it one day to long.
Nope. You can never be ready for anything.

What happens if you get shot post SHTF? No trauma center. Heck, you can actually die from a sinus infection! No doctor to prescribe antibitotics. What happens if your appendix reptures post SHTF? Are you going to let your neighbour do surgurey on you?

I can only be more prepared than 99% of the population and I realize before hand that there are limitations on what I can prep for and do.

·
Stack It Deep.
649 Posts
Unless one is already full of himself, with money to burn, and he spends a good portion of his worth on prepping for every conceivable scenario, even for those that do not apply to his region and locale, I do not see how anyone could sit back, gloat over his preps, and shout to the world that he is ready for anything. I know plenty of wealthy people, including a good number of trust fund babies, and the proud ones that do this kind of crap don't stay wealthy very long.

IMO, resting on your laurels and ending your activities to improve yourself and your preps is asking for trouble. Like a cop losing his edge because he stops living life in suspicion of others around him, I think a prepper would so lose his edge if he stops looking for new holes to plug in his own preps.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
The purpose of prepping is to be "better" prepared for whatever comes. I would imagine that the number of people on here or anywhere else is down in the low tenths of a percentage point who feel as if they are "overly" prepared or "overly" confident. It would be a big mistake to even assume that position probably. Do what you can do and sleep better.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Right on

I have trouble seeing how anyone could be over-confident. Unless you are independently wealthy or won the lottery, I cannot imagine that you are ever "done" prepping. And even then there is always something new to learn.

I have moments of satisfaction ... I finally got those chickens ... or I learned about some native and ornamental plants I can eat that were up til now just a nuisance ... or I can finally tear down my AR without help ... those kinds of fleeting moments, but you are never "fully" done, are you?
Spot on and well penned - :thumb:.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not confident quite yet with my preps. Too many things lacking right now. Trying to redress that problem, albeit slowly due to finances. Better prepped than most I know, but will never be overconfident.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I'll admit that at first I was overconfident. I thought Now that I know what to do and have started getting my food in place I'm good. I'm far better than the rest of the people around me.
Then the more I read on here and started learning more and more, new ideas and scenarios; it hit me right in the face that I was no way prepared to the point I could make it for more than a few months. It's not good enough to just be better than those around you.

Now I've come to the realization that I need to move in order to complete what needs to be done. I need more property for growing food and for security and storage. There is a finite amount of food readily available out there right now. When the rest become aware of that, it will get extremely ugly for a long enough time.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The reason I prep is because I am not confident I am ready. I remember an old saying I saw somewhere. "On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of the victorious who at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting, died."
Keep your game face on!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
the longer I prep the more i learn how unprepared i am but am mush better prepared than most
being prepared is more an attitude of constant learning stockpiles can be lost damaged or stolen but the knowledge you gain in life will only leave you in death
and the more I learn the more humble i become as you never will be the best theres always someone out there with a bigger stick or wiser than you

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
The way I see it, if you're a prepper, you understand that there's nothing about this that's lighthearted enough to be over confident about. Nothing about this is a joke or funny. It's serious, and most preppers I know take it that way and have a good understanding of what they're doing. They also have the same doubts as the rest of us do.

The only people I see being overconfident are the ones who are doing this for the wrong reasons. The Rambos, the ones looking for the firefight and to show off their "mad skillz".

·
Archangle
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK my initital question was totally mis taken.. i did not say i was prepared for everything... it was in quotes as to mean i might be to stubborn to leave my place because no government or weather service is gonnna tell me to leave.. what i meant was do you think we will "set our heels" and ignore some possibly good advise.. Do you think we may make ourselves over confident by being prepared..

·
Registered
450 Posts
resqdan:
Thanks for clarifying.
You cannot pack out enough supplies for a meaningful period of extended survival. You need a primary BOL and you have to go firm on that location. You may be responsible for a souse or children or paents and not in a position to easily flee from you BOL, so you should make plans to dig in and hold hard if necessary. If the government shows up at your BOL and orders you to leave that means there is still "Law and Order". Threaten to call the newspaper, your congressman, your lawyer etc. They may well back off.

If FEMA orders an evacuation it is usually because a meaningful percentage of the population in your area is felt to be in danger. All you can do is get the best info you can get (You do have a weatrher radio right?) and make the call to stray or evacuate on the basis of the available. All the time my family lived through Florida hurricanes and tropical storms we never evacuated. But dad kept a 16 foot aluminum boat in the garage with an Evinrude outboard just in case the water actually rose to the foundations of the house. At that point he felt we would evacuate. Never had to.

BadgeBunny: I never have learned how to strip and reassemble the AR. The FN was bad enough. If you can that you are better than me. I prefer to use bolt actions anyway. If it isn't snowing here it is freezing, if it isn't freezing it is freezing rain, if it isn't winter than it is sand and grit storms in the summer. Alberta is really beautiful but the weather is often unforgiving so I use gear that deals with the challenges.

·
Registered
34,020 Posts
The more I prep, the more inadequacy I see.

I just keep plugging away, praying for more time.
You just nailed me perfectly!

The more I learn, prep, test the more I see the holes:thumb:

Well said Ladysurvivalist!

(btw, my mom is over in Maui this week..I think she leaves Sunday)

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Prepping and "paranoia" go together so I would expect overconfidence to be unlikely. It is always possible to miss something critical.... I suppose that thought is what keeps driving us. I suspect there is something deep down at the genetic level that prompts some people to do this while others do not. And if it ever comes to pass whoever said it would be Hell on earth is likely correct. When it comes to surviving hardships and horror it is clear from stories that it takes something deep down inside for some to survive the worst situations. Some inner strength that we may not know if we have or not until the time comes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.