Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
When the hurricanes damaged the gulf rigs a few years ago, it started a "pump-run" in Atlanta and Charlotte - by the time I heard, the pumps were empty. It stayed that way for maybe a week to 10 days.

Something similar may happen.

If the masses make the connection and start buying other things - who knows...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
My guess, not that you'll be able to tell. More people may wise up, most others will complain and go on as always. Sadly some will buy less food as fuel cost take their toll.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
I'm already panic buying. I can see the writing on the wall. Food is pretty much set for about a year along with household supplies. But I'm panicking about heat and water. Everything here is electric. We're thinking of getting more charcoal and propane to cook outside but heat in the house is a dillema.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I think it will have the opposite effect. I think many will cut down on some of their purchases and stick with the basics.
A lot of people are going to be cutting out the extra stuff - no more going out to eat, cut back on going to the movies, and buying cheaper food products.

With so many people living paycheck to paycheck I don't think they can afford to panic buy.
Very good point, thank you.

·
What would Mal do
4,654 Posts
yeah Grevlin...it's the colonial pipeline..and Charlotte is on the butt end of it..so while we were watching all those poor folk down in Orleans...we had no idea it was about to shut us down way up here...same thing happened with back to back storms a couple years ago..but that time I was ready...had learned my lesson and had both trucks full, the boat (60gals) was full, and 10 spare cans in reserve...when people hit into week 3 of panic induced gas station shutdowns, and were leaving their cars on the side of the road and sleeping over night in the gas station parking lots hoping a truck might show up...etc... I was fine...in fact my adult kids in Charlotte were in the same trouble..and I told them if they had enough gas left to get down to my place (20 miles away)...that I had gas for them....I hoped that it would have taught them a lesson..but 2 years later..they still run a hair above the E mark on their tanks....bad habits.

We live in the country and it's about 6 miles to the nearest grocery store...makes for a pleasant 2 lane ride on my honda CT90 and at 100mpg I can make that trip as many times a I want.

but to the point...when the shortage hit here, many folks had little gas in their cars...they filled up....then they topped off..the mayor was making broadcast pleas telling everyone that gas was on the way..not to top-off or panic.yeah...that worked well... it was the normal nature of the charlotte citizenry ...very selfish..all about me..folks..you can see it in the way they drive...anyway...their nature added to the problem...it will again.

I expect this evening there will be lines out in the road at our interstate exit gas stations...we are just a few exits below the state line so we are always cheaper..however I checked and those stations right off the highway are running high prices right now...I can still find 2.99 gas in town, but the interstate boys are up to $3.19 and $3.29 for the suckers who are driving down to save money....this is gonna get ugly long before it's over.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds Like Obongo the Kenyans Economy is gonna go South real Soon !!! :eek:
As much as I do not want to, I have this urge to go to the local grocery store and fill a buggy with canned goods and dried foods.

The next few days will tell the tale whether these gas prices will stay up or not.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,663 Posts
What worries me is everyone running out to fill up ahead of the price increases. That's going to cause shortages, and of course, that means further price increases. Which will trickle down into the price of everything else. When other prices begin to jump because of it, panic buying is quite possible. And of course that'll just make prices go even higher.

People don't always use common sense when it comes to scary situations. I bet nearly everyone on this board went to fill up today.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Gas prices are starting to go through the roof, will this make people go into panic buying mode and buy other supplies - especially food?
did they panic and hide the last time gas jumped?

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Last time near $5 per/gallon - I do believe that was right before the 2008 "collapse" that started this rapid-decline s-storm.
i remember it being 3.50 or so and there was still fresh milk and bread.
everyone seems so concerned about the last gallon they'll ever get.
I thought only sheeple panicked

·
Registered
469 Posts
As much as I do not want to, I have this urge to go to the local grocery store and fill a buggy with canned goods and dried foods.

The next few days will tell the tale whether these gas prices will stay up or not.
I feel the same way. I'm going to a huge local farmer's market tomorrow and I have a feeling that I will come back with more food than I originally planned to buy. They have food from all over the world and a lot of it is in bulk and is great for storage. Even if there aren't a lot of people panic buying, this could still potentially save my family and me some money when/if food and gas prices begin to soar.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts