Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave up regular soda years ago, but I know drinking 1 liters of caffeine free diet Coke per day can't be good for me but is it bad ? I always figured it says 0 calories its probably okay. I need to lose weight, anyone here lose weight after giving up diet soda?

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,910 Posts
The only way it would affect you is if you were vulnerable to the artificial sweetener and it dropped your blood sugar, making you hungry and snack.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Any kind of soda, including diet, is bad for you. My brother was getting boils really bad (I know, gross) and his doctor told him to stop drinking soda. He did and hasn’t had a boil since. Anything that can do that to your body, in my opinion, shouldn’t be in your body.:eek:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I drink a lot of diet sodas and do keto when I’m serious about losing weight. The diet sodas have never stopped me from losing weight when I need to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe most studies show that drinking diet soda leads to increase calorie consumption not to mention the impacts on insulin production and increase affinity for sweets. Being on keto is different since you are using it in conjunction with an approach to diet. That’s without getting into potential long term effects of artificial sweeteners. Try the flavored seltzer that ncbill suggested. You’ll be surprised how your taste shifts not always being inundated with things so sweet.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,282 Posts
It's said that diet soda causes an insulin release. I have to wonder about that. It's reproducible in the lab, when certain cells are exposed to certain sweeteners. But that's a long way from reproducible in a human.

One thing seems clear, diet sodas are associated with weight gain.

Here is what I think: People that choose diet sodas already have weight gain issues and are simply avoiding real Coke.

I've switched to unsweet iced tea and notice no difference what so ever. Other than I miss the taste of diet coke.

As someone with Hashimoto's thyroid failure, I can say with authority that low thyroid issues will cause uncontrolled weight gain. Ever wonder why some people don't gain weight and some like me have a deep breath for breakfast and lunch and a Marlboro light for dinner and still don't lose weight.... (a little joke about the breath and cigarette diet, I've never smoked) It's this simple, for those with low metabolism problems that involve the thyroid, a concentration-camp diet is the only thing that works. Daily calorie intake needs to be below 800.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,374 Posts
There is nothing "diet' in diet soda. The sugar substitutes are worse than sugar, especially apsertame, AKA NutraSweet.

The soda manufacturers should be taken to court for false advertising.
Great point.

A Doctor named Gundry says that some of those sugar substitutes basically
kill the Pro biotics in your stomach.

I honestly believe Diet Sodas are worse for you than regular, and I drank
them for years.

I don't miss them.

·
The Lieutenant
1,620 Posts
I've read where the current artificial sweeteners cause a carbohydrate craving. All I know is Pepsi and Coke taste far better with real sugar compared to those other sweeteners and corn syrup versions.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I gave up regular soda years ago, but I know drinking 1 liters of caffeine free diet Coke per day can't be good for me but is it bad ? I always figured it says 0 calories its probably okay. I need to lose weight, anyone here lose weight after giving up diet soda?
Glad to hear that you gave up regular soda pop but, unfortunately, diet soda is probably worse. Many of the artificial sweeteners used in sodas are harmful to the body in other ways and some still spike your blood glucose which, in turn, will adversely affect your insulin levels.

Caffeine isn't really that bad. In fact, there may be some health benefits to it. I drink lots of unsweetened, black coffee with no negative affects.

10 Dangers of Artificial Sweeteners: http://www.nutralegacy.com/blog/general-healthcare/top-10-dangers-of-artificial-sweeteners/

13 Benefits of Coffee:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-13-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coffee

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
1 liter per day isn’t good for you, but discontinuing to drink it won’t help you lose weight. Drinking less alcohol and adjusting your diet is what will help you finally lose weight and keep it off.
I lost 65 pounds on the Keto diet in about 1 year. I simply cut out sugar and the vast majority of other "high carb" "foods" and the weight fell off with little effort on my part. I'm now working out on top of it. At nearly 60 ... I've never felt healthier and more energetic than I do right now.

Zero sugar. If I want something sweet I use Monk Fruit or Stevia. Both taste good but neither spikes the blood glucose.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,916 Posts
Switch to flavored seltzers instead...e.g. LaCroix.
That is what I've done, the mango is really good to my tastes!

Cut down on carbs (especially potatoes, rice, bread etc.) watch for hidden sugar it hides "everywhere" that should really help you lose weight!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Giving it up will make you lose weight as long as you don't replace it with something else that contains calories.

So if you can drop the soda and drink water you are ahead.

Weight loss is pretty simple, calories in has to be less than calories out

1 - 20 of 24 Posts