Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious with all the wonder blades out there being made out of alien steels if Good Old Fashioned 1095 will ever be phased out of the knife making process?

What do you guys think?

Personally its my favorite, and the tradeoffs seem worth it.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Nope.

Some of us knife guys aren't enamored with the super stainless and I'm one of them. Sure I've got some knives in the medium hardness stainless but classics like KaBar, Opinel, etc should always be in 1095.
Sharpening isn't a challenge for me and 1095 takes an edge pretty quick unless you've been cutting rocks.

Or think battoning is a survival skill :xeye:

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
Mankind is still living in mud and stick huts, dressing in animal skins and plant matter just like we were thirty thousand years ago. When something works, we tend to stick with it.

rich

·
I loved this form
1,282 Posts
Just curious with all the wonder blades out there being made out of alien steels if Good Old Fashioned 1095 will ever be phased out of the knife making process?

What do you guys think?

1055 and 420 have yet to. They and 1095 are extremely effective and economical. As long as there are Opinels, machetes, KABARs, and what have you, 1095 still has a bright future ahead.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

What do you guys think?

No. 1095 is used for other purposes (springs, etc.) and it's less expensive to produce than most steels so it will always be around and there will always be knife makers who prefer it over other steels. No worries.

·
I loved this form
1,282 Posts
1095 is also very easy to sharpen, taking a good edge. (Perhaps the lone knife I had in 1095 was a dud; would not sharpen, even with diamond rods on the 30 degree back bevel on the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It likely went on both angles over a thousand passes.) It is also very easy and forgiving to work with, and durable.

Has steel gone anywhere in the age of wündermaterials? Nope. There's plenty of reasons for that.

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
We have some paring knives that are simple 1095 that are still in use today and have never been sharpened in the 45 years we've owned them !! The blades are so thin they self sharpen whenever they are used to prepare veggies!! That is the beauty of good 1095 steel...soft enough to wear away in use but hard enough to hold a good sharp working edge.

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
1095 is also very easy to sharpen, taking a good edge. (Perhaps the lone knife I had in 1095 was a dud; would not sharpen, even with diamond rods on the 30 degree back bevel on the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It likely went on both angles over a thousand passes.) It is also very easy and forgiving to work with, and durable.

Has steel gone anywhere in the age of wündermaterials? Nope. There's plenty of reasons for that.
Yep, that knife was not heat treated right.

·
I loved this form
1,282 Posts
Neighbor loves it; he is a practitioner of Seven Preying Mantis and prefers a dull edge in a fighting blade; says it rips and causes more damage.

Never would have thought that....

·
I loved this form
1,282 Posts
We have some paring knives that are simple 1095 that are still in use today and have never been sharpened in the 45 years we've owned them !! The blades are so thin they self sharpen whenever they are used to prepare veggies!! That is the beauty of good 1095 steel...soft enough to wear away in use but hard enough to hold a good sharp working edge.
In the family, we have some old Ontario kitchen knives that are still useable, but likely need some love. Mind you, they might be as old as the 1950s or earlier; they were well-used by the time the great-grandchild came around.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
When air cushion ride gets rid of suspension systems in vehicles then springs won't be needed and maybe 1095 will dry up then but until then you're safe...Also, we'd have to get rid of all the previous suspension systems on the discarded cars before it would really run out.

Then again, there are lots of other carbon steels that work just as well albeit a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
predicting the future is difficult.
i'm pretty sure somebody sat around a fire a long time ago, discussing if iron tools would ever become obsolete.

if we were to ask a medieval warrior of how he envisioned arms and armour in 2012;
he might have said, stronger and lighter steel armour, bigger and better edged weaponry and very powerful bows and catapults.

see where im going?
we tend to think inside the box(knives are made of steel, so to improve them we need to make them in better steels).
but sometimes a invention comes along changing everything over night, like guns, engines, agricultural revolution, etc.

tomorrow's cutlery might well be light sabers.
and yes, i'm pretty sure 1095 will become obsolete somewhere down the line.
but it might not be this century or the next.

so it depends on how you define ever.

·
I loved this form
1,282 Posts
It is amazing how much technology progresses, but how little humanity retains. I have seen a photo of a Marine in WWII with a homemade grip for his Thompson, wrapping his thumb over the barrel for better control. HAve heard of a video of a SF operator in Vietnam doing the same with his 20" M16, having excellent control over his rifle, pulling into his shoulder to midigate recoil. The Army decades ago experimented with steel-cased .223, and discovered what we now know about it. Credit must go to Vuurwapen blog, where it is due.

When something is so simple and great and effective, it never really goes away, whatever it is.

·
Banned
731 Posts
After sharpening a USA high carbon stainless back to back with USA 1095 knives. The 1095 will never go out of style. 1095 is wicked sharp in half the time of 420hc(?) is just passable sharp. Sharpest knives possible is timeless fashion, so 1095 is not going anywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts