Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ok.... watched the first vid...

The kid uses a whisky flask for olive oil for cooking... Why the heck did I never think of that???

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.... watched the first vid...

The kid uses a whisky flask for olive oil for cooking... Why the heck did I never think of that???
Too funny, i posted on his vid that exact thing. I'm planning on getting
one for that reason soonest.

·
Registered
679 Posts
why not use a much lighter plastic bottle from a 1 ounce hand sanitizer container? isn't the whisky flask steel?
Cause the plastic bottle can be crushed, lid pop off, and contents spilled.

Harder to do that with a flask. And weight is still minimal.

·
-
1,485 Posts
fair enough... but besides olive oil, i carry honey, vodka, calamine, pepto, honing oil, alcohol fuel, hand sanitizer, and biodegradable soap. with this many essential backpacking liquids that's where i will take my chances of crushing the plastic bottles or having a cap pop off and spill liquid. if i was to use metal containers for all of them, i'd go a max of a mile or two into the outdoors and break camp because of the combined weight...
fwiw though, the specialty HDPE plastics nowadays, especially if you wrap them up in duct tape including the sprouts, will most likely provide the same level of protection as steel flasks. i mean if they use that stuff in rockets and anti corrosive industrial pipes...

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
Even though I'm a little annoyed with his bear grylls camera-drop-walk-away-from-it theatrics, I'm kinda rooting for the kid.

and weight has never been a particular issue with me [but might be to some] and I always HAD to carry my smallest cast iron pan. Something about food made in cast iron tasting better...

properly seasoned, I've never rally used anything more than water on the bottom of the pan...but I always kept a straw filled with crisco in case I needed it.

^^ that's easy btw...take a cheap, thin, straight straw [not the "bendy" type] and jam it into a large crisco can. fill the straw from one end to the other.

Take a pair of clean wire nips.......

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...=X&ei=EtUuUt_sE_Pe4APy3oDgDw&ved=0CIIBEPMCMAA

...and heat the "blades" up on the stove. They don't need to be "red hot" - just hot enough to melt the straw - and heat-seal the ends while cutting them into 2" sections. Simply pop one and squeeze it into the pan.

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Druid that is way to cool about the crisco!
Nighthawk uses a similar method to seal Vaseline cotton in straws for waterproof fire starters.
Thanks

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
Druid that is way to cool about the crisco!
Nighthawk uses a similar method to seal Vaseline cotton in straws for waterproof fire starters.
Thanks
LOL...any time chief.

It takes a little practice to get the temp right on the snips but once your trial and error stage is complete, you'll have plenty of cooking grease that's:
1. no muss, no fuss.
2. extremely portable
3. easily repeatable

My own style of cooking required the 2" section of straw. You may find that what works for me is too much or too little for you. You'll need to experiment and see what works for you.

Also, my straws fit nicely into an altoids can. Shorter straws could use a smaller container...but larger straws might need something like a large pill bottle.

Here's another freebie for you...

Most police/tactical flashlights use the 123A battery: http://www.surefire.com/12-pack-batteries.html

Did you know that 4 fit very nicely into a cheap, plastic Garcia Vega cigar tube?

Simply take electrical tape and separate the batteries from each other until you need them. No rattling around a Ziploc bag, no shorting out against other metal objects in the pack...easy and clean storage.

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
LOL. Most people in this type of mentality [survivalists/Bushcrafters, etc] have like-minded thoughts on gear.
Anyone having that great a desire to survive, is usually going to buy the gear police/military use because of it's rugged construction and long-term usability.

I have 3 LED flashlights, 2 of them use rechargeable 123A batteries. The 3rd uses AA. The 2 that use the 123A's, I bought a crap-load of batteries and a charger off EBay, charged 12 of them and store them in those tubes. The rest are still in their packaging.

I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-CR123...62843?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item27d7b1907b

and

5 sets of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-16340-CR...47475?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item27d7b15473

If you consider that on each set of batteries, you get roughly 2 hours of usable light...having 12 charged sets gives me 24 continuous hours of light.

...yeah...daddy got light LOL

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Even though I'm a little annoyed with his bear grylls camera-drop-walk-away-from-it theatrics, I'm kinda rooting for the kid.
I thought that was more of Les Stroud's signature vice BG; BG had a camera crew do it for him:D:

Still, I watched the video earlier this AM and the kid did pretty good...impressive for his ability to go out alone and film it; including his navigational mistakes.

I grew up in WA State and my fair share of military land navigation. There are numerous roads and firebreaks not on maps and it's easy to lose your bearings once you stop navigating via terrain association. This kid's example was a great lesson...kudos to him for sharing his mistake as it's very common even with experienced outdoorsmen.

The amazing piece is that the kid's kit looked like he raided the local surplus shop, Goodwill and/or mom's kitchen. I admit, I'm a gear-aholic and always looking for lighter gear, but the kids shows it's more about getting outdoors and doing so just requires more time and effort than money; again, well done I say.

I wish my son (14 years old) had a buddy like him. We are planning a couple of minimalist trips so he can practice some stealth camping and leave-no-trace camping.

ROCK6

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
I thought that was more of Les Stroud's signature vice BG; BG had a camera crew do it for him:D:

Still, I watched the video earlier this AM and the kid did pretty good...impressive for his ability to go out alone and film it; including his navigational mistakes.

I grew up in WA State and my fair share of military land navigation. There are numerous roads and firebreaks not on maps and it's easy to lose your bearings once you stop navigating via terrain association. This kid's example was a great lesson...kudos to him for sharing his mistake as it's very common even with experienced outdoorsmen.

The amazing piece is that the kid's kit looked like he raided the local surplus shop, Goodwill and/or mom's kitchen. I admit, I'm a gear-aholic and always looking for lighter gear, but the kids shows it's more about getting outdoors and doing so just requires more time and effort than money; again, well done I say.

I wish my son (14 years old) had a buddy like him. We are planning a couple of minimalist trips so he can practice some stealth camping and leave-no-trace camping.

ROCK6
ya know...yer right. It was Les.
...and yes, his admission of mistakes, critical thinking to correct them and finding the solution was a big plus with me. Too often we see the "I do no wrong" side of people...not with this kid. Good for him.

And yeah...I'm a gearqueer too LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts