Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hunter/Farmer
2,010 Posts
In the first pic, it looks like maybe an EASTERN BACCHARIS is there too.

Third pic,.....is that a chinese tallow also?

Salt grass is prolly in the background in all three pics:D:

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
In the first pic, it looks like maybe an EASTERN BACCHARIS is there too.

Third pic,.....is that a chinese tallow also?

Salt grass is prolly in the background in all three pics:D:
Don't think salt grass and cattails like the same water... don't know if Chinese Tallow trees grow in Texas... they are not edible but a varnishing oil can be squeezed from their "pop corn" fruit.

It's hard to tell what that broadleaf is, but an bindweed of some kind is possible.

Baccharis....interesting... I never knew the latin name....groundsel is how I know it... not edible.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't think salt grass and cattails like the same water... don't know if Chinese Tallow trees grow in Texas... they are not edible but a varnishing oil can be squeezed from their "pop corn" fruit.

It's hard to tell what that broadleaf is, but an bindweed of some kind is possible.

This is brackish water - a mix of salt and fresh water.

Yes, Tallow do grow in Texas.

·
Hunter/Farmer
2,010 Posts
Chinese tallows have taken over the entire upper and middle gulf coast here in Texas. It is our most prevelant invasive species.

I'm guessing that is a brackish bay in the background, from the location that Kev gave,....near Bridge City. Cattails grow close to the coast here, as long as the water is not salty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.