Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I are planning a really exciting trip next month.

We're heading into a temperate rainforest, a new area for us, chosen from google maps of our area. 4km into the forest, up a 900m mount, then 3km out the next day to a designated extraction point.

We're taking minimal equipment, no packs.

Clothes we are wearing
poncho + 550 chord
emergency blanket (foil type)
2 canteens
bow + 3 arrows
knife
lighter
map + compass

If we want food, we must harvest it.

Planning on doing a tube vid for the trip, breakdown on gear, heading in, some scenes from the night and trip out for home.

Should be a real test of skills and endurance.

·
SURVIVOR
1,089 Posts
sounds like an awesome idea. i'm gonna try to get a group of buddys together soon to get out an cause some havic in the woods. kinda along the same lines, but i'm takin all my gear cuz its all new and i've not used it all yet and they probably won't be near as prepared as i'll be.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
may want to add something to boil water in unless yer already carryin canten cups,and an emergency medical kit---want to make sure you return with what im sure is going to be an informative and ancidote filled rendition.---good luck and ,good hunting

Reactions: highp0wer

·
Registered
426 Posts
wow highp0wer that sounds like a lot of fun. i think i'm going to need some more experience under my belt before i try something like that. working on it though.
looking forward to hearing about it.
Kid_M

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Although I like to run the forest without a pack, I rarely do. Here is why:

1) Learning doesn't mean not having, it means not using what you have.

2) If you plan a trip and it becomes an emergency you will need your gear.

3) To train for an event you need your real gear, it provides a realistic approach to loadout, water necessity, food requirements, and rationing your gear, because you cant use everything forever, so make everything you use count (including nature)

4) Most important is BACKUP, if your plan fails you will not be able to survive in the wild for any real length of time. Always assume this, because I guarantee that at some point everyone will "stop and drop" when they have no shelter, no fire, no water, no food and its raining and about to drop in temp. EVERYONE.

5) If you plan a good trip, you must also plan a bad one, and walking into a bad plan with nothing to support you is like asking why the shark bit you.

I know I most likely sound like I am saying don't do it, actually I say do it, but be prepared while doing it. Things go south real fast, and nothing is more comforting than knowing you can survive through the use of both primitive skills and proper gear selection. :) S/H

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
At this point I feel we have prepared sufficiently, my list of gear takes into account all recquirements for survival and I have shown my Lovely Wife and my Dad our preposed route on a topo. We're on foot so we won't be to far off if things go amiss.
I've had orienteering training several times and feel confident in my navigation skills.
We've done a few packed hikes into bushland and this is the test to see if we can do the minimalist thing.
All that said, my little bro (6'3", he's just younger) will have identicle equipment so its double that list.
Also, I've decided to take 1 bandage, a bloke was bitten by an Eastern Brown Snake this week nearby. So this needs to be taken into account. Really, the snake would want to get out of my way cause I'm gunna be HUNGRY!
Once this trip is done, we will start doing pack missions again, its a monthly trip for us. New area, no gear is just a bit of fun to change things up a little.

·
The Bad guy
1,512 Posts
i disagree with helper. what better way to prepare for an emergency short of being in an emergency? simulated of course. bring your stuff if you want, but you dont need it to survive. ive done numerous week long survival courses where people only have a knife and the appropriate climate clothing and nobody dropped. as a matter of fact, when i collected them at the end of those weeks they seemed to be doing alright, most of them anyway.

i have always said though, educate yourself first. if you know what to do, id say do without, if you dont know what to do, learn. if you want to do the minimalist thing, you have to actually do the minimalist thing. if youre on foot you wont be far from help if need be. if its a 7 mile trip (without doing the math up, but 900 m isnt an issue) the farthest youll be from help is 3.5 miles. ive seen plenty of broken obese people make that walk, you should be fine.

but hey, safety first.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I just reread the post is this only a one night trip? Two days and one night? Baring any unforeseen accidents I would say leave everything at home if that is the case, I thought "next month" meant the whole month, my bad. But if you need recommendations for a longer trek, see my post :) Sorry.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A month in the rainforest? I wish. Only thing is I wouldn't have a job or family when I climbed back out.
I've done the 'nothing' sleepout, when I was a juvinile delinquent. No, thankyou. I hope I never have to be a hobo again!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its funny you mention a minimalist/brother trek into the woods. My brother and I have been planning a similar excursion in a more temperate climate.

our allowed gear for a 2-night excursion:

-One knife
-One 50' cord
-One small metal pot
-One canteen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts