Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with WOA, or Dave Canterbury?
I have seen his various videos online and was curious if anyone had any opinions on him or his offered tracking courses.

peace
al

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
I have purchased products from his site and have had nothing but good luck with his products. The wetterlings axe on my pack is from his sight. it's been through the paces in the pineywoods and was worth every penny.

·
"Always Be Prepared"
250 Posts
I also got my wetterlings axe from him and other products. He thoroughly tests all his products as well as his survival techniques. He also first led me to "maxpedition" gear which is also great stuff and other neat gear.
I don't know about his courses, but he seems have much knowledge. I do wish however his videos would be more detailed about survival techniques whereas he seems more to focus on promoting stuff.--just my 2 cents.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
He has some cool videos, and promotes that stupid Tom Brown tracker knife. He has also recommended boiling foraged plants in a bandana to make tea, which is bad because the ink from the bandana gets into your tea that way, but he seems like a nice guy with a measurable amount of skills.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I've learned some things from his videos. I haven't heard anything about the school. I would really like to attend Cody Lundin's school in Arizona. That's bare minimal equipment survival. He gives his students a trashbag and one match to spend a week in the wild.

·
Registered
93 Posts
His videos are great and he seems to have an extensive knowledge of primitive tools and tracking.

However I did have a bad experience when I ordered some items from him. I ended up receiving an incorrect item and returned it to him. I never received the correct item from him and basically got burned for about $40. I gave up after my emails were not being addressed anymore.

As a tracker and teacher I'm sure he has a lot to offer and his forum has many knowledgeable survivalists and trackers not to mention craftsmen. However I'll never order anything from his store ever again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've learned a lot from the videos. They are well worth watching. However I've not had much luck with the order I placed. No response to emails or phone calls until I left a message to cancel the order. Then the products still never showed up so I had the credit card company reverse the charges. While all this was going on I ended up getting the same products for less at other sites.

Tim

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
He has also recommended boiling foraged plants in a bandana to make tea, which is bad because the ink from the bandana gets into your tea that way,
Not if you wash them a couple of times in hot water first. Mine have never leached ink. But I guess the bigger question is why not simply boil the leaves then STRAIN them thorugh the bandana?

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the quik replys guys.
i think i will take my further business elsewhere. ;)

peace
al

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Not if you wash them a couple of times in hot water first. Mine have never leached ink. But I guess the bigger question is why not simply boil the leaves then STRAIN them thorugh the bandana?
Reply]
I would not trust that at all. The only thing i would trust is to boil it many, many times. Or at least boil it over, and over again untill the water stopped changing color. After that, boil it one more time.

The last thing I would want is to be drinking dye from a bandana.

One thing I really liked was his videos where he made the primitive bow with a knife. I learned a lot from that one.

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
I'm shocked to see so many comments about problems, I have never recieved a package more than one week after ordering. I guess i've been lucky. I beleave he has seen the limitations of the tbt because he has had a kukri based knife custom made. it's pretty nice, however it is a bit pricey. I don't have a link but you can google devildwarfbladesmith. 225 bucks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've never had to use them but I keep a couple of coffee filters in my pack (take up no weight and no space) to strain out the floaties but I'd still boil before drinking.

Tim

·
Banned
286 Posts
Reply]
I would not trust that at all. The only thing i would trust is to boil it many, many times. Or at least boil it over, and over again untill the water stopped changing color. After that, boil it one more time.

The last thing I would want is to be drinking dye from a bandana.

One thing I really liked was his videos where he made the primitive bow with a knife. I learned a lot from that one.
if you dont want to drink dye then use a sock, a never used sock preferably

·
hunter-gatherer
751 Posts
if you dont want to drink dye then use a sock, a never used sock preferably
Or just some grass for heaven's sake - dry or green, some long grass or the like spread over the top of the cup your'e draining into , and viola. If you can find a hollow grass or the like, a sippy straw that won't let the particles up. (which you can buy btw - metal ones i mean).

But my fave with tea or coffee is simply to let it just sit for a little - everything settles to the bottom and pretty quick you can drink it almost down to the bottom without getting hardly any in your mouth. Good ole 'cowboy coffee'. Nummies :)

·
hunter-gatherer
751 Posts
I've watched this guy's vid's - i think he has a lot to say on most of the basics. I think there's a lot people getting into it could learn from him, and i think for the most part he's 'real'. I see a few things that i feel would be examples of him 'getting cute' if you will. I also have a few issues with his 'survival' shelters that are natural materials. But i think for the whole he's out there trying this stuff, working it out, and he's probably got some useful info. I enjoy most of the videos (except the early ones where you have to watch a half hour of him sneaking up on the camera before we get on to the video itself :) )

There would be only one way to know if any of these guys are really good - drop 'em in the middle of somewhere they don't know and see how they do.

(The knife is a little stupid tho. But at least it isn't 700 dollars!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had big problems with Dave Canterbury's service. I will be the first to write an update if he makes good, but he took my money 4 months ago and won't ship me the goods. I ordered roughly $130 of stuff from him in March 2009. It's now August and although he does respond to my emails: he simply won't ship the goods.

Two months ago I complained strongly and he said he was sorry, and admitted that it had taken too long. He said he get my order moving. A month after that, I asked about shipment and he said "sorry, your order slipped through the cracks." Again, it's been four months. I've totally lost confidence in his store.

I like his videos. He seems like a cool, stand-up kind of guy. So it is very surprising when he treats his customers like this. Contrast: I order from Maxpedition and it's here in under 2 weeks, every time. From him... over 16 weeks and still not here.

We'll see.

If he makes good, I'll write again and say so.

P

·
bushmaster
129 Posts
I've had big problems with Dave Canterbury's service. I will be the first to write an update if he makes good, but he took my money 4 months ago and won't ship me the goods. I ordered roughly $130 of stuff from him in March 2009. It's now August and although he does respond to my emails: he simply won't ship the goods.

Two months ago I complained strongly and he said he was sorry, and admitted that it had taken too long. He said he get my order moving. A month after that, I asked about shipment and he said "sorry, your order slipped through the cracks." Again, it's been four months. I've totally lost confidence in his store.

I like his videos. He seems like a cool, stand-up kind of guy. So it is very surprising when he treats his customers like this. Contrast: I order from Maxpedition and it's here in under 2 weeks, every time. From him... over 16 weeks and still not here.

We'll see.

If he makes good, I'll write again and say so.

P
When I saw this and the other complaints here I thought to myself that it didn't sound right. I went to Dave's youtube account and sent him a link to this message and asked him if he would take a look. Shortly thereafter, I got a reply and finally I got this from him:

Re: Re: poor service?
Tracked down his order I am pretty sure in Paypal by a Mar 09 search of all entries- Here is what I sent to him via his PP Mail account-

Sometimes you just have to drop a grenade down a guys shorts to get him to pay attention! Packed your order a few minutes ago buddy, I included and upgrade Bacho Saw, GD Bottle to go with the cup and a PF UL Tarp. I will also be picking up the shipping costs, will mail UPS Tracking tomarrow Sir. I am truely sorry for the length of time this order has taken there is no excuse, as excuses are for losers. Wish you well-

He's not making any excuses so I won't make any for him either (though it is tempting). I like what he has to say and how he says it, so I try to support him where I can. You can make your own decisions but I figure mistakes happen by all of us.

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
point of the whole thing is that you shouldn't have to "put a grenade in his shorts".
he is running a business after all... if he wants to keep making money, he needs to look into his customer service. I he can't take care of it, maybe he needs to hire someone to do it for him.

peace
al

1 - 20 of 93 Posts