Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dances with Salmon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have Wild Rice as part of their preps?
I know Brown Rice is a no-go for long term storage, and White Rice is nutritionally barren so I am wondering if Wild Rice could be a happy medium but I don't believe I have ever seen it listed as a prep for long term storage.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Looks like it's good for fiber, and I know it's tasty, but I think the main reason people don't stock up on it is the cost. I have a couple of pounds of the stuff put by, but I consider it a treat rather than something to rely on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's definitely something to consider planting if your SHTF property includes fresh water marsh land. Apparently if your marsh has a stable water level from anywhere between 10 cm to 1.5 metres, you're in business. Once established, it yields a perpetual harvest. You need 75 kg/hectare for seeding, as a yardstick. I do not yet speak from experience, but have started a thread elsewhere on this site dedicated just to this topic.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
i like it lots. probably cheaper here as this is one area where it is harvested every year. as stated in other threads, it doesn't store as long as white rice. but the flavor makes it a definite item to keep around.

current local store ad: 15oz can, cooked wild rice, 2/$5.00. going to check out the exp dates tomorrow. not cheap, but if the dates are far enough out, i might go for a few cans.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Old thread (the OP at least), but here are some of my thoughts:

1) Brown rice actually stores fairly well in my experience. I take no special precautions and have brown rice in my pantry that is several years old with no problems. You could take care and store it in an air tight bag with an oxy absorber in a dark and cool place and it would store for some years. Even more if you put it in a freezer.

The three things that degrade any food regardless of how it is packaged or what it is, are oxygen, heat and light. Reduce any or all of those and food stores for a lot longer.

2) I eat a lot of white rice. As long as you eat it with a balanced diet, you should be fine. Just don't eat only white rice. Don't eat only one of any kind of food. Mix it up.

3) "Wild" rice is good nutritionally. Depending on the variety, wild rice can have twice the nutritional value of conventional rice. It is also quite a bit more expensive - 2 to 10 times as expensive as a decent conventional rice. It also seems to take longer to cook, and the taste is not to everyone's liking - which is why it is often used with a mix of other rice, the wild rice being in the minority percentage.

The wild rice I have used smelled a lot like tea when prepared. I had to drain off a lot of the water, cooking it, then draining and rinsing several times. As a mix it is okay but I prefer to cook it by itself first and then once cooked mix it with the other rice - otherwise the conventional rice is overcooked.

I believe a mix of wild rice with other rices would be good for food on the go in the sense that it has more nutrition for the weight, but again the downside is that it takes much longer to cook, and the smell is distinctive - you could smell it much further away than conventional rice, so it might give away your position. For food on the go, I would prefer parboiled rice, specifically a mix of rices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts