Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yummy...ribs, sausage and bacon.

Once you learn how to hunt them or trap them, let us know. I have some I want to put in the freezer.

I guy at the academy told us to put a red lens over a spot light and set up in a tree where they are feeding and shoot them. He said that the red light won't scare them away and you can see enough to shoot them.

We still need to buy the red lens and try out his suggestion.

I like the last hog..he sure has some mean looking teeth.

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
guy at the academy told us to put a red lens over a spot light
When we go to take these beast on the 20th that will be a tactic I employ. Used it lots of times before, mostly bow hunting cause you need more time to setup a shot. Rifles just pull up and blast away.

·
Registered
255 Posts
hey kev, if you need some help, i will be more than glad to terminate those boars.

those darn asian boars. i hate them, so much.. they torn up my father in laws acreage so bad that all he can do is fertilize and skip a year of planting. they torn down about 6 to 12 inches in some areas and ruined everything.:mad:

we have been setting traps and killing them by the tonage. i killed in one day 34, we had to use metal fence stakes every 5 feet and wire mess used for cement foundations and rebar reinforced certain areas so that they would not push the fence down..they are very aggresive and will run away for long distances and will fight to the death if captured.:D:

but great meat source:thumb:

BE CAREFUL IF YOU APPROACH ONE OR CAPTURE ONE. they will kill you, carry a 38 spl/ 357 mag or larger.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Have you tried putting up a post of your seasons and having members come in to hunt for some free food?

You get some free help and decimate the population at the same time.

It sounds like something I'd be interested in depending on the season.

I "LOVE" organic pork!

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Wow, that's some GOOD eat'in there Kev.

When I lived in SW Iran in the early-mid 1970's wild bore were common there. American and British expatriates working for the National Iranian Oil Company would hunt for them and boy were those bore tasty.

Thinking back, I don't believe there were any restrictions on owning, using or bringing firearms into Iran at the time. The Shaw was a big game hunter in fact.

I remember seeing many folks flying with rifles in cases between the USA, Europe and the Middle East. It was common to see weapons shipped in the aircraft cargo hold and brought on board as carry on luggage.

That more peaceful and common sense time seems SO long ago now. :)

Some pictures off the trail camera.

·
Μολὼν λάβ
266 Posts
In arkansas you can hunt/harvest those things all year long. They are considered vermin and can be killed without a license. Love me some BBQ wild pig!

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Off topic but there's a German guy on knifeforums who posts in the Fallkniven subsection who legally flew from Germany to England with his rifle(s) quite recently, he did some deer hunting here. He's posted pictures of the boar he's shot in Germany, big 200lb hairy monsters!

He coats the bottom of trees with a type of tar to attract them and hunts on full moons through out the winter for them.

You can also bury attractants for them around your shooting range.

There are wild boar in southern England that have escaped their organic farming keeps.

Great pictures, and I can't wait to see the results from your future hunts.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have attached old carpet to a tree and pour waste motor oil on the carpet. The hogs love to rub on the carpet.
You know I think they got this old sow that way:D:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Soon to hunt my first wild hog, any tips, suggestions for a first timer?
My suggestion is use whatever you deer hunt with and have fun. There is WAY to much thought and planning that goes into hunting hogs. Contrary to popular internet lore, they are not that hard to kill and don't require bazookas or armor piercing bullets.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
513 Posts
My suggestion is use whatever you deer hunt with and have fun. There is WAY to much thought and planning that goes into hunting hogs. Contrary to popular internet lore, they are not that hard to kill and don't require bazookas or armor piercing bullets.:rolleyes:
If you go with a small bore think head shot. With a bow I find its worth waiting for them to quarter away. I have seen the chest plate dissected out on a large boar, its rather impressive.

Also unlike many animals behind the shoulder on pig is a gut hit. A heart-lung hit is low thru the center shoulder.

Having said all that, the last one I hit in the pelvis with my 308 died just fine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts