Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago a buddy of mine and I got a call saying my son-in-law and his friends needed some help getting a hog out of the woods.

The dogs had chased the hogs a long ways from the boat, so far that the hunting party needed help packing the hogs.

My buddy and I hook up with the hunting party, we then spend the next 30 minutes or so wondering through the woods to where the hogs were at. The two hogs were separated by maybe 200 yards or so.

When we arrived at one of the hogs, something had killed it, and ate part of it. The wild hog had been tied up for only around 4an hour or so.

The next week I called a local wildlife biologist and told him what happened. The wildlife biologist said with multiple bite marks on the neck, the attacker was probably either a coyote or a feral dog.

Attachments

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm confused. Were you HUNTING it?
Why was it tied up?

Forgive my ignorance, we don't have hogs here.
The hog was caught, and its legs tied together so it could be packed out by two men using a tree limb.

This video shows the other hog. the footage of the dead hog was left out of the video.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I should have clarified.

Where I LIVE, not my state.
I don't think we have ever had them in this specific area.
Gotcha.

We've sure got them around here. (Lenawee/Hillsdale/Jackson counties) I saw a group of about a dozen scampering across a corn stubble field while on my way to work Thanksgiving day.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait...was it dead when you tied it up; it sounds like it wasn't.

Oh, and yeah that dog fcuked it up.
The hog was alive when it was tied up.

That is was what had us rather upset. The hog was tied up, my buddy and I met with the hunting party to help them pack the 2 hogs out of the woods.

One hog was still alive and unharmed, as seen in the video.

The other hog had been killed and partially ate.

I felt bad that the hog was unable to defend itself against its attacker, and the meat was going to be waste.

Maybe something ate the rest of the hog.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I am a bit confused, and curious. Why would you want the animal to remain alive? Next, it seems to me that feral hogs are actually supposed to be quite dangerous. The biggest question on my mind though, is how on earth you manage to get your hands on a feral pig to tie it up in the first place? That can't be easy......

As for what attacked the hog, my best guess would be feral dogs, coyotes don't have a large spaced tooth mark, I have a hard time seeing it being a black bear. Out of the three, feral dogs would concern me the most, we had a population of feral dogs intermix with some local coyotes in Senecca Oregon and the resultant hybrid pack was a very dangerous thing. That created some very large but very beautifull coyotes, one of the feral dogs was a giant sized Irish setter who threw some of the prettiest long haired red and yellow coyotes you could imagine.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
I guess that there were no tracks that you could see. That looks like more damage than a feral dog or a coyote could do in such a short time. The hide is pretty tough. Big cat, maybe?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am a bit confused, and curious. Why would you want the animal to remain alive? Next, it seems to me that feral hogs are actually supposed to be quite dangerous. The biggest question on my mind though, is how on earth you manage to get your hands on a feral pig to tie it up in the first place? That can't be easy......
Hunting dogs were used to catch the pig.

The pig was tied up so it could be brought to my son-in-laws house, cut the pigs nuts, feed him a grain diet for several weeks, then butcher the pig.

Cutting the pig, and the grain diet is supposed to help with the taste of the meat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts