Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided that this year to save money my girlfreind and I started a garden on our little balcony. But I germinated a few to many Sicilian Canalope seeds and all of them shot. I have a few different squash id like to plant but dont have enough room on my little 5' x 18'. And very recently we have started taking walks threw the woods and feilds in the areas surrounding my appartment along the grandriver. About 2 months ago i seen Kev plant melons in a feild and i thought i could do the same. So im thinking about putting some plants out in the woods and just lettin nature do its thing and see what i get. Anyone else done this before of know if its semi illegal?

·
"Somebody Get a Rope"
1,187 Posts
It's called guerrilla gardening. (google it)

It's catching on all over. I think it's a great idea.

Plant non-hybrid seed so that they will re-seed themselves. GPS the locations of your various 'gardens'.

Could save your life someday.

elgin

Reactions: Garden_Knight

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats awesome thanks alot Elgin but what is the really bad thing about hybrid squash? or hybrids in general its rare that the seeds ive used before and eventually run out, that they would go back into their parent plants/breeds but those normally stayed that strain after their seeds were planted. So why are they so terrible?

And are the squash and melons from grocery stores hybrids?

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
Good luck getting to the produce before the birds and squirrels do, though. If you plant a lot of them, it could work though. Non-hybrid of course.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah pests and the natural animals would get their pick of the bunch before you had the chance. I would choose to plant crops that animals do not like peppers. Your best bet though is planting native berries and grapes (both which grow like weeds if planted in the right environment).

·
"Somebody Get a Rope"
1,187 Posts
Good luck getting to the produce before the birds and squirrels do, though. If you plant a lot of them, it could work though. Non-hybrid of course.
Ya, good point.

I should have pointed out that Root crops make the best guerilla gardens. No one but the planter would suspect anything edible was there, most animals leave them alone, and if not harvested they reseed themselves.

Turnips, onions, parsnips, potatoes. I think that winter squash would keep well in the wild. ...and maybe tomatoes?

elgin

·
Yeoman Agrarian
706 Posts
Thats awesome thanks alot Elgin but what is the really bad thing about hybrid squash? or hybrids in general its rare that the seeds ive used before and eventually run out, that they would go back into their parent plants/breeds but those normally stayed that strain after their seeds were planted. So why are they so terrible?

And are the squash and melons from grocery stores hybrids?
Seeds from hybrid plants cannot be used again. Well they can but hybrid seeds will not produce true "copies" of the plants.

And if you are buying food at a grocery store there is a 99.9999999999999999999% chance they are hybrid.

·
Yeoman Agrarian
706 Posts
As for your idea, I would try carrots and beans. Carrots are a root crop so nobody will know its there unless they recognize carrot leaves. Beans are extremely easy to grow so you could just buy a bag of the seed, throw it on the ground, and cover them with a thin layer of dirt and they would probably grow. Just give them something to grow onto vertically.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats poop, a some of my seeds are from the grocery store taken from the fruit and veggies. But they have all sprouted so im going to use them for now. And in a survival situtation id rather eat a hybrid then nothing at all.

Plus its so hard to find gardeners now gays who are willing to traded heirlooms, and store that sell them, and if they do its only the same 6 or 7 plants over and over. Plus i dont really trust buying stuff from the net, way to easy to get pinched and id stolen.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
seeds from hybrids may not reproduce true and may have reduced germination success. But I agree - it is certainly better than nothing!

Finding heirloom seeds is easy if you are interested though. I see you're in the same province as me. Canadian Tire (at least here) have been carrying a reasonable selection of them. Any nursery I go to anymore always seem to have heritage and heirloom seedlings too.

I think the idea is great. I agree that root vegetables are more likely to produce crop, but berries should be good too, just sow more than you plan on harvesting ("One for the woodchuck, one for the crow. One for the slug and one to grow.")

Like someone suggested you could plot what you planted where (using GPS or a map) or you could just take the 'squirrel' method. Plant lots and find 20% of it when you go looking for it. That last method is good for thick people like me who like to work hard but aren't very smart. ;-)

Cheers,
-Per.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Before you try this look to see what plants have done this naturally. That will save you the time and expense of doing it yourself. Wild parsnip comes to mind. This is actually a feral plant that escaped gardens and now can take over whole fields. I harvest wild parsnip after the frost every year. It is illegal to purposely create it in its feral form though because it is a problem for actual farmers. Parsnip can take over a hay field within a couple of years and the green tops can harm animals that eat that hay for winter forage. Dandelions are a crop that went wild. Burdock is as well. Many mustards now grow wild. Asparagus is another one.

Really, if nature hasn't taken its course and made these plants grow wild in your area, you are not going to do better than it does. I would learn the "wild" plants of your area and use what is already there instead of trying to out do what has already been done.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Garden Knight, I was thinking of doing the same thing.

I have a wild lot that we own across the road and was going to make a small fenced in garden study. Right now Im busy trying to start my regular garden so that will have to wait.

It was also Kevs video that gave me the idea.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lone_Squirrel : I have learned most of the natural edibles in my area but i dont want to put any pressure on the natural food yet cause i will need them later on. I have 3 or 4 books on them and how to prepare them as well.But id rather pick a carot then pull 20 queen annes lace.

Anne36 : i hope you get a few pics up and its hard to do 2 gardens at once but im useing my "left over" germinated seeds. I hope i get something. Are you buying all your plants for your gardens or starting them from seed? if from seed just throw some more into the paper towels and use the best in you garden and the other out in the bush. And Kev is great eh, hes got so many ideas, id love to sit down in a huge room with everyone on here and just talk straight for a week lol.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
seeds from hybrids may not reproduce true and may have reduced germination success. But I agree - it is certainly better than nothing!

Finding heirloom seeds is easy if you are interested though. I see you're in the same province as me. Canadian Tire (at least here) have been carrying a reasonable selection of them. Any nursery I go to anymore always seem to have heritage and heirloom seedlings too.

I think the idea is great. I agree that root vegetables are more likely to produce crop, but berries should be good too, just sow more than you plan on harvesting ("One for the woodchuck, one for the crow. One for the slug and one to grow.")

Like someone suggested you could plot what you planted where (using GPS or a map) or you could just take the 'squirrel' method. Plant lots and find 20% of it when you go looking for it. That last method is good for thick people like me who like to work hard but aren't very smart. ;-)

Cheers,
-Per.
Thanks for the ideas but i didnt no that canadian tire sold heirlooms lol. And im usinga huge patch of dandilions as my garden space so they will be all close to each other. So i wouldnt need the gps but you sound like me so i might lol.

·
Yeoman Agrarian
706 Posts
Heres a good website. For a $100 or so this guy will send you a box of about 6000 heirloom seeds- tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, corn, radish, beet, squash, cucumber, melon, onion, and a few different types of beans. I and several people I know have ordered from him without problems.

http://www.survivalistseeds.com/

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I have sprouted 12 butternut squash, 5 butter cup with a tourbon and 5 with out, 8 sheghetti and 5 acorn. Im going with all squash cause they are all hardy and keep long term in sotrage. Plus i want to stock up on some of there seeds. Also i have 7 cantalopes that have sprouted checking for germination i planted 10 an 10 popped so im used them for this :).

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most of the butter cup squash seeds just couldnt break the seed and they died, oh well ill just get another from the grocery store just a different style. But i ran into an old man in the woods today and he told me that hes been growing carrots and beets in the woods for years. And i thought i was original lol.

·
"Somebody Get a Rope"
1,187 Posts
Way to go G.K.

elgin:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts