Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many books on wild edible plants on amazon but many seem to have plants from places ill never be like tropical plants......so does anybody know a good book on wild edible plant focusing on America and preferably north east America?

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I don't. But I never looked.

I printed out pages from the internet of the specific details and photos I wanted then put them all in a 'survival' binder. It's all my need to know stuff that I keep at my bol just in case.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I think small regional publications are always a better choice than national ones. You might want to Google Wildman Steve Brill. (I think he joined here not long ago.) He's in New York which has most of the plants found in New England. If you must have a book I recommend to my students Edible Plants of North America by Elias and Dykeman (2008 or later edition. Check the publishing date. The earlier versions are not as good as the 2008 and beyound publications.) Then again, some 80% of the plants on my site are in your area.

I prefer the Elias book over the common Peterson because it has photos and is better arranged. It still has a few mistakes in it but not as many as the Peterson.

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
The Northeast USA is hard. I have Peterson Field Guides Eastern/Central North America. Edible Wild Plants and Medicinal Plants and Herbs. Hope this helps.

·
Immortal
1,411 Posts
If you find that book, please let me know. I have been looking a long time for it. About a month ago I took 8 books on foraging out of the library and looked up the same half dozen plants in each book. Some books had photographs, some had useful information, some had recipes. None had everything in one book for even one of the plants!

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
If you find that book, please let me know. I have been looking a long time for it. About a month ago I took 8 books on forgaing out of teh library and looked up the same half dozen plants in each book. Some books had photographs, some had useful information, some had recipes. None had everything in one book for even one of the plants!
In all truth, you are not going to find the book you are looking for, regardless of the region... well almost... If you live within 300 miles of Ohio most of the national "North American" books are good enough. But beyond that they do not exist. I've been trying to get a publisher interested in a South East edtion for over a decade, and I'm the most watched forager in the wrold.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
In all truth, you are not going to find the book you are looking for, regardless of the region... well almost... If you live within 300 miles of Ohio most of the national "North American" books are good enough. But beyond that they do not exist. I've been trying to get a publisher interested in a South East edtion for over a decade, and I'm the most watched forager in the wrold.
Do you ever come through PA? And if you do how much would you charge to do a hands on presentation for a homeschool group? I do my little cub scout presentations here about edible plants and not eating (or touching) anything you don't KNOW. But it would be awesome to learn a lot more from an expert :thumb: I randomly plant known edibles every time we go camping. (non damaging and local types only of course) You never know when someone could have need of an easily identifiable food source.

·
Immortal
1,411 Posts

I have no idea why this shouldn't be in print. Some of the books have really excellent photographs, but the books with the most useful information have drawings instead. It should be EASY to merge the two into one reference!

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I have no idea why this shouldn't be in print. Some of the books have really excellent photographs, but the books with the most useful information have drawings instead. It should be EASY to merge the two into one reference!
Doing it is not the issue. It is getting a publisher interested. And frankly, in the long run drawings are better than photos.

·
Immortal
1,411 Posts
try Euelle Gibbons, his books are heavy on the northeast and east coast.
Doing it is not the issue. It is getting a publisher interested. And frankly, in the long run drawings are better than photos.
The drawings was what I did not like about Gibbons book. Photos are much easiet for me to use. Drawings don't show me the shade of leaf or color of teh berries and blossoms - and texture is very hard with line drawings unless the artist is really talented. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I'll dido the Peterson's field guides. I've used them and they are superb.
(Peterson Field Guide) Medicinal Plants and Herbs
(Peterson Field Guide) Edible Wild Plants

They are a nice portable size too. I keep mine in my car, just in case I ever need to start walking...!

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
I've been trying to get a publisher interested in a South East edtion for over a decade, and I'm the most watched forager in the wrold.
I'm sure you've looked into self-publishing. Have you checked out Create Space? It's owned by Amazon. I haven't looked at it for a couple of years, but, when I did, they provided the ISBN number for free and your book is listed on Amazon. I know a couple that did this. They spent $2 at istock.com for their cover art and $6 on their proof. It cost them under $10 to publish. It sounded like people were buying the book too. The books were then printed on demand. In this day in age with digital cameras as cheap as they are, you could take your own pictures, then there isn't an issue with copyrighted photos and it saves you that expense too.

·
Terror for Terror
272 Posts
Peterson field guides!! FTMFW

I have several of these, be careful because after you get interested in the edible ones you will be interested in the medicinal ones and down that path lies many sleepless nights, and discussions by way of the internet with pagan herbalists.... ask me how I know :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts