Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up with all thies wierd cal. bullets that are out now? its like somone started bashing there head in the # pad and decided to make a bullet..?

Anyway, just a lill rant no real reason.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idk like the 6.8 spc, 6.5 grendale, ect...it seems they come out with a new one every month!

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 6.8 is great but I think its just another way to make money. They mess with the bullistics to make the "perfect" bullet. Why not just focus on making the .308 better or looking for better materials instead of lead?

I'm perfectly happy with .223(5.56) round but the expansion sucks on most rounds and teh good ones are terrably expinsive. This is the MAIN reason why I do not want an AR, among other small details. I had realy bad experenced in basic training with my rifle and i ended up going through about 4 rifles, one of them was a FN. Seems that they wear out realy quick and need alot of attintion.

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
587 Posts
6.8 SPC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_SPC is an attempt by the US Special Forces to develope a round with more leathealty then the 5.56mm in the standard M-4 platform. The Wikipedia link give you the basics.

The 6.5 mm Grendel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5_mm_Grendel is a civialian atempt to do the same. Both are proving to be good hunting and compitition rounds and are slowly starting to catch on.

IMHO, if you are happy with the .223, then stick with it. But if you don't mind the expense and want a little more "umpth" then you might look at these.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Idk like the 6.8 spc, 6.5 grendale, ect...it seems they come out with a new one every month!
Neither of these are new calibers, both of them were designed to work in AR actions and arde designed to bridge the gap between the 5.56 and the 7.62, they are both hard hitting calibers with the grendel being the superior of the two. The Grendel also has a largebore counterpart, the .50 Beowulf, again designed around the AR and capable of taking ANY North American Large Game. Google Alexander Arms for more info on these two powerhouse rounds.
The 6.8SPC (special purpose cartridge) was the result of a search for a heavier hitting round based on the AR/M16 for military use. It is a popular round for AR shooters looking for something that has more bullet weight and better TERMINAL ballistics for deer and people sized game and longer distance shooting that the little .223 can do. The 6.8 dates to 2002 and the 6.5 Grendel 2003.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The 6.8 is great but I think its just another way to make money. They mess with the bullistics to make the "perfect" bullet. Why not just focus on making the .308 better or looking for better materials instead of lead?

I'm perfectly happy with .223(5.56) round but the expansion sucks on most rounds and teh good ones are terrably expinsive. This is the MAIN reason why I do not want an AR, among other small details. I had realy bad experenced in basic training with my rifle and i ended up going through about 4 rifles, one of them was a FN. Seems that they wear out realy quick and need alot of attintion.
The .308 wont function the same in short barreled fast acting personal automatic weapons, the recoil is high, muzzle climb is nasty and the action is too long. Since the 6.8 was developed by the government it wasnt done to make money so your theory is out the window.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It is a way to sell more guns to people who think they have to have the newest and greatest. Most of the cartridges are wildcats. Neck down a 300 mag to a 22 cal bullet or some such. I see guys in the gun store now buying out some of the new stuff. I stopped reading the gun mags for reasons like this.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neither of these are new calibers, both of them were designed to work in AR actions and arde designed to bridge the gap between the 5.56 and the 7.62, they are both hard hitting calibers with the grendel being the superior of the two. The Grendel also has a largebore counterpart, the .50 Beowulf, again designed around the AR and capable of taking ANY North American Large Game. Google Alexander Arms for more info on these two powerhouse rounds.
The 6.8SPC (special purpose cartridge) was the result of a search for a heavier hitting round based on the AR/M16 for military use. It is a popular round for AR shooters looking for something that has more bullet weight and better TERMINAL ballistics for deer and people sized game and longer distance shooting that the little .223 can do. The 6.8 dates to 2002 and the 6.5 Grendel 2003.
I know there not "NEW" but compaired to the 5.56, 7.62 or 30-06 they are... I also realize some are very good...it just makes me wonder how they come up with them...lol

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The .308 wont function the same in short barreled fast acting personal automatic weapons, the recoil is high, muzzle climb is nasty and the action is too long. Since the 6.8 was developed by the government it wasnt done to make money so your theory is out the window.
OO man slow down... just sayin...jeez.

dont make me buy you a mail order...uhh..nevermind.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I LOVE the 6.8 SPC, i wish that it would be the standard NATO round...

I did not know about that Ric Knight, thanks.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, you can bet it's for making more $.

Did you ever get a chance to shoot the M14 in 308?
yes i love it, although it woldent be my first pick. That round, imo, is too heavy to carry for a MBR. I wish that they would make a round that is widly avalable, has many options in terms of the bulet type, and a reliable yet afordable rifle to shoot it, probably asking too much though.

I'm quite interested in the XCR but its $1500, dont know about you but thats a bit too much...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
6.8 is kinda a off standard caliber,but 6.5 is a very commom round. Used a lot in Europe. 6.5x55 is a very popular round. Carcano had one,Arisaka had one,Mannlicher-Schonauer had one.Many others.
The 6.8 started life as the old .30 Remington,believe it not.Then got necked down from there.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
6.8 is kinda a off standard caliber,but 6.5 is a very commom round. Used a lot in Europe. 6.5x55 is a very popular round. Carcano had one,Arisaka had one,Mannlicher-Schonauer had one.Many others.
The 6.8 started life as the old .30 Remington,believe it not.Then got necked down from there.
HUm...did not know that eather. never messed with the 6.5.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i think some of this has to do with 'long vs short ' action rounds.
aren't they trying to make a short action round with the same ballistics as .308 and .30-06? by short i mean comparable to .223, and .30-30.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
i think some of this has to do with 'long vs short ' action rounds.
aren't they trying to make a short action round with the same ballistics as .308 and .30-06? by short i mean comparable to .223, and .30-30.
Thats exactly what they are doing. Technically the.308 is a short action round, but these are even shorter, The shorter the round the less space the ammo takes up and so on...

·
Registered
141 Posts
the 6.8 does not hit any harder than the .308 Nato, it's designed to be controllable on full auto, something that is impossible to do with the .308
unless your buying class three, or you're one of those people who prefer soft recoil but more powerful than the .223, you'd go with the 6.8; home-defense wise a big AR would not be ideal unless you had a 14.5" barrell designed for CQC.

the 6.8/6.5 might get cheaper, but them the 5.7X28mm is still as expensive as fatory 5.56 so unless it really catches on it'll be expensive for a while

1 - 20 of 22 Posts