Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Repeal the 17th Amendment
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I got a Wicked Lasers Arctic Spyder iii in the mail. I swapped it for a couple tickets to an air show. It's strobing effect seems bright enough to disorient a home invader, but mounting it to a weapon may or may not be practical. It's pretty cool. Strong enough to start stuff on fire on its highest setting. I just need to figure out what to do with it in a practical sense now. If not, I'll probably swap it for something else, or sell it and buy something. It's really unique though.

Any suggestions what to do with this thing, other than sell/swap it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
set your annoying neighbors cat on fire, melt little kids icecreams from a distance, blister car bonnets from a distance (write stuff on them if you want), shoot deoderant cans, use it to take out security cameras, cut styrofoam, theres so much more i cant think of just yet.

im prettymuch the reason they banned these lazers in australia lol :D

·
DYSFUNCTIONAL VETERAN
207 Posts
Today, I got a Wicked Lasers Arctic Spyder iii in the mail. I swapped it for a couple tickets to an air show. It's strobing effect seems bright enough to disorient a home invader, but mounting it to a weapon may or may not be practical. It's pretty cool. Strong enough to start stuff on fire on its highest setting. I just need to figure out what to do with it in a practical sense now. If not, I'll probably swap it for something else, or sell it and buy something. It's really unique though.

I would email the company to see if the have suggestions for weapons attachment. You could mess up an intruders vision for life with that lol.

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
You must not know much about lasers.

PRactical? Disorient?

try instantaneous blindness from a directed, swiping blow to the eye.

Do you have any idea of the energy density that results from 1 watt of directed energy focused onto the retina?

Heres a good example.

* Maximum intensity of sunlight at ground level (directly overhead, no smog, etc.) = 1 kW/m2 or 1 mW/mm2.

* Assuming pupil diameter is 2 mm (i.e., radius of 1 mm), the area is approximately 3 mm2. So, the power of the sunlight through the pupil = 3 mW.

* Focal length of eye's lens = approximately 22 mm. Angular size of Sun from Earth = 0.5 degree = 9 mR. Thus, diameter of image formed = 22 mm x 9 mR = 0.2 mm and the area of image = 0.03 mm2.

* The intensity of the Sun on the retina (Power/Area) = 3 mW/0.03 mm2 = 100 mW/mm2.

Typical 1 mW HeNe laser (or laser pointer):

* Power (P) = 1 mW, wavelength (l) = 633 nm, radius of beam (w) = 1 mm, focal length of eye (f) = 22 mm. So, the diameter of spot = (2 x f x l)/(w x pi) = 9 x 10-3 mm and the area of spot = 6 x 10-5 mm2.

* The power density of the HeNe laser on the retina is 1 mW/(6 x 10-5 mm2) = 16,667 mW/mm2 = 16.667 watts/mm2.

So the 1 mW laser has the potential to produce an intensity on the retina 167 times that of direct sunlight! But there are many more factors to consider in determining the real risk of damage. In addition to those noted below, the actual focal point when looking at a laser at close range will not be at the retina so the spot size will most likely be much larger than the diffraction limit of the calculation. Even if the spot from the laser beam is smaller, natural eye movements or movement of the source (e.g., some moron waving a laser pointer) will result in it hitting any given point for a shorter time than the larger spot from the Sun (which usually doesn't move very quickly).

A 1 WATT laser will have one thousand times as much energy as the 1mW laser. Worst case scenario 167,000 times stronger than direct sunlight.

Lasers are DANGEROUS. Do not view the diffuse reflections (dot on non shiny surface) without goggles for that wavelength. Your eye sight will suffer over time.

My eye sight has suffered from 50mW experiments and casual viewing.

·
DYSFUNCTIONAL VETERAN
207 Posts
I used high powered lasers at night in Iraq last year. Some of the military units banned the use of them because some soldiers misidentified friendlies and used the laser on them.

The us military thought it was a good supply and or sell Iraqi units lasers. Which of course they misidentified friendlies lol. They attempted to issue an order to people to wear laser proof eye wear....and when you were involved in situations where you were lased, you had to be checked and documented by medical.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I find it hard to believe it can start a fire. But it does say you can out a hole in balloons or plastic. No way worth 300.00 bucks.

·
Repeal the 17th Amendment
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find it hard to believe it can start a fire. But it does say you can out a hole in balloons or plastic. No way worth 300.00 bucks.
Like I said, I didn't pay for it. I won tickets to an air show and traded them for the laser. (98 degree heat on a tarmac didn't sound fun to me.)

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
I can start a fire with a fraction of the power, properly focused.

I can start a fire with a 150mW hddvd diode from your xbox 360. I can also etch wood with it (and so can you) Simply buy a surplus diode (part # is PHR-803T) You will need to construct, or buy a premade driver circuit that will stabalize the current with a potentiometer from your battery source (laser diodes are HIGHLY current sensitive and amp fluctuation) No more than 125Milliamps. And I would recommend a HEAT SINK for anything over 100Milliamps or you will break it in short order even with very short duty cycles.

Its more than capable, but it diffuses with range. Its ability to cause thermal effects weakens exponentially ..but within several feet, absolutely. don't under estimate it.

1 watt (the arctic spyder) per 1 or even 2 millimeters is not to be "fooled" with. Thats a very high energy density, exceeding a 100 watt light bulb on a factor of tens of thousands. (which emits over 100 watts over a very large area...without doing the math..say...exposing your entire room to 0.001mw per square mm)

If you could take all that radiant light energy from a 100 watt light bulb and focus and compress it onto the same space the results would be spectacular. Aside from the dot being blindingly bright you could set flammable materials alight with ease ^_^.

Also the power range for lasers medical professionals use for removing moles, blemishes, birthmarks range from 1-40 watts, with usually very short duty cycles. as they will cause damage in a short time.

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
Here you go

Also remember black absorbs much more light than other colors, so thermal effects are enhanced with dark surfaces. It would have a harder time with white colors.

Ahhh 2 watts EVEN BETTER

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
do they still sell those? i'll buy/trade it from you if you'd be interested.
Join communities such as Laserpointerforums.com

Parts are readily available to make your own, they require NOT MUCH skill..but a lot of respect and safety. They should pretty much be treated like loaded guns.

They do still sell them but there is a crack down beginning on shipping of such lasers into the U.S.

its easier to make your own, and cheaper, or to find third party sources. Many people build as a hobby, and distribute privately

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I have one and love it... There is so much you can do with this but you HAVE to be careful, VERY Careful or you will have sight loss...

Oh and yes you can start fires with these...

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts

One of the coolest things about these is their ability to turn off street lights instantly. From a distance. I would love to have one just for that purpose, sitting on my front porch turning off all the street lights on my street.

·
defend against tyranny
667 Posts
One of the coolest things about these is their ability to turn off street lights instantly. From a distance. I would love to have one just for that purpose, sitting on my front porch turning off all the street lights on my street.
really? does it burn them out or what?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts