Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
if you are getting just to be getting go with the Moss 500 in 12 gauge then pick up the 30/30 next week :)

Reactions: The Chaboofer

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
The shotgun by far, you can do every type of hunting with a shotgun. A 30-

30 is a great gun, don't get me wrong, but is more limited to deer and what

not. The shotgun can do small game, bird, deer, and whatever else you like.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I’d have to recommend the 12ga shotgun. Especially with all this gun ban talk you have on here.

Also, you can get many different loads for the shotgun. Anything from reasonably accurate rifle-like slugs to birdshot. There are also some LE only explosive and tazer rounds, that is, if you find them.

The best thing about shotguns is the further away, the less energy the shots have, but the wider range the cover. So even at slow speeds at long ranges, they are likely to hit a ***** in the armour. They also scare the crap outta enemies. However remember that the bullet penetration is much less and is more likely to ricochet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd say go with the 12 ga first, if you have to choose, with a 3.5 in chamber so you can shoot magnum loads. They have more kick, but with a full choke are good for whitetail up to 100 yds.
Instead of a 30/30, check out a SKS, You can still by them new or like new around here for $400 or less, the ammo is cheaper and better available in quantatities, while the ballistics are the same. The rounds will also fit in a standard AK, if you ever deceide to get one.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Yep I am a died in the wool fan of the .30-30, but the guys are right get the shotgun first then the Levergun next and lastly a pistol.

As far as getting a SKS over a levergun, I leave you with this the 7.62X39mm is RUFFLY compared to the .30-30. But truth be told the .30-30 is morepowerful and more versital. The .30-30 can launch ultra lite bullets and ultra heavy bullets the SKS just can't cycle or it doesn't have the case capacity to launch the heavy bulliets.

Why would you have the two extremes in addition to the factory options? One can load a piece of 00 buckshot on top of 5gr of any pistol or shotgun powder and it will throw that 40gr pellet at 1100 feet per second giving the same power as a .22LR for squirrels, Rabbit, racone, and other small animals without vaporizing them.

Another thing it can do is with light say 100 and 110 grain bulleit it becomes a excellent varmit cartridge.

As far ultra heavy bulliets like 220gr LRN can easily kill elk and moose with deep penitration. That and with after market sights can easily to be a long range 1000 yard rifle if you ask most "experts" it can't be done. Reality is much different as with practice one can hit 1000 yard gongs with regularity.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yep I am a died in the wool fan of the .30-30, but the guys are right get the shotgun first then the Levergun next and lastly a pistol.

As far as getting a SKS over a levergun, I leave you with this the 7.62X39mm is RUFFLY compared to the .30-30. But truth be told the .30-30 is morepowerful and more versital. The .30-30 can launch ultra lite bullets and ultra heavy bullets the SKS just can't cycle or it doesn't have the case capacity to launch the heavy bulliets.

Why would you have the two extremes in addition to the factory options? One can load a piece of 00 buckshot on top of 5gr of any pistol or shotgun powder and it will throw that 40gr pellet at 1100 feet per second giving the same power as a .22LR for squirrels, Rabbit, racone, and other small animals without vaporizing them.

Another thing it can do is with light say 100 and 110 grain bulleit it becomes a excellent varmit cartridge.

As far ultra heavy bulliets like 220gr LRN can easily kill elk and moose with deep penitration. That and with after market sights can easily to be a long range 1000 yard rifle if you ask most "experts" it can't be done. Reality is much different as with practice one can hit 1000 yard gongs with regularity.

Rifleman 336
I'll agree if you roll your own, the 30-30 gives you more options, but at $225.00/1k rds, You can afford to shoot whatever twice and still bring it down. If you want to shoot 1k yds, get a .308 and surplus ammo for plenty of brass, but shooting long range consistantly is an art form. Bullet drop, windage and conditions make it very difficult for the average shooter, and takes knowledge and lots of practice. Unless you have a lot of open space, the chance of you ever getting a 1k yd shot is slim. In my neck of the woods, with all the undergrowth, a 500 yd shot is pushing it. Your brass won't last long at that load either, even at best low powder loads, you can safely reload the brass what, 5-10 times and that's stretching it. Unless you buy just unfired brass and primers, The cost of rounds at todays prices are $35.00 up for 20 rds of 30-30. Just run the numbers, 100 rds of 30-30 ready to shoot new rounds, $350.00 up, compared to $225.00/1k rounds or $400.00/1k rounds of reloadable 7.62x39, I'll take quantity, longjevity, and price, over some versitility. If you want to hunt small game, you're just as well off taking a .22lr and ammo at < $40.00/1k. The price of another rifle in .22 and ammo for it is still a better value than a .30 cal rifle primers and shot, when you consider using up your brass. JMHO.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I'll agree if you roll your own, the 30-30 gives you more options, but at $225.00/1k rds, You can afford to shoot whatever twice and still bring it down. If you want to shoot 1k yds, get a .308 and surplus ammo for plenty of brass, but shooting long range consistantly is an art form. Bullet drop, windage and conditions make it very difficult for the average shooter, and takes knowledge and lots of practice. Unless you have a lot of open space, the chance of you ever getting a 1k yd shot is slim. In my neck of the woods, with all the undergrowth, a 500 yd shot is pushing it. Your brass won't last long at that load either, even at best low powder loads, you can safely reload the brass what, 5-10 times and that's stretching it. Unless you buy just unfired brass and primers, The cost of rounds at todays prices are $35.00 up for 20 rds of 30-30. Just run the numbers, 100 rds of 30-30 ready to shoot new rounds, $350.00 up, compared to $225.00/1k rounds or $400.00/1k rounds of reloadable 7.62x39, I'll take quantity, longjevity, and price, over some versitility. If you want to hunt small game, you're just as well off taking a .22lr and ammo at < $40.00/1k. The price of another rifle in .22 and ammo for it is still a better value than a .30 cal rifle primers and shot, when you consider using up your brass. JMHO.

Are you kidding??!!! Your perposing three gun to replace one. Are you going to run around with a whole golfbag full of long guns? Remember YOUR the caddy. Your exercising false economy here.

As far as wearing out brass one shouldn't practice because of brass life? How do you think you and your snipergrade .308 are going to hit anything if you don't practice?

When it comes to .30-30 brass the 15 degree angle shoulder doesn't do it any favors but with a simple chamber reamer, I can halt that and make my brass reloadable many times longer than normal in addition to making it close to .308 Winchester power levels at the same time.

As far as .30-30 costing $35 dollars a box where are you shopping at? I get mine for about $12.00 a box, if I am lazy. $10 if I do it myself with HIGH GRADE compontes.

All you get with factory loaded 7.62X39mm rounds is a round thats held back in performance due to it being tied down with the SKS/AK recievers limitations. The 7.62x39mm factory load is only 39,000 psi out of a SAAMI limit of 50,000 psi out of a bolt gun. yeah you get it cheap and it shows with 3 MOA or worse accuracy as a norm. You also get the choice of FMJ,Hollowpoint and or softpoints. The later being so **** poor that theirs lots of posts on this form and others that complain about the failure to open.

Then theirs the SKS platform itself. Yeah they work now but what about the future. By that I mean parts, not the chessy stocks and the magazine but what about internal parts like firing pins,sears, unique springs, trigger group componets and other small parts that I can't think of off the top of my head that if the gun breaks were are you going to find a reliable source of parts? Buy another gun? Not the most effecant way of buying parts, my friend.

The other problem is it won't cycle if it isn't military spec ammo in other words no special rounds of differant load profiles can be used.

As far as how far a shot is going to be I don't know where Chaboofer lives but here in ohio there is very fast transiton from one type of terain to the next, one minute I am in a wooded area where a shot is 150 yards at most to walkin to an edge of a farm field where ther can be miles of wide open flat ground, then be in a city a few miles past that. If I go south I am starting in to the start of the smokey mountain chain. Hill to hil is the name of the game here. Either way all I have to do is change ammo and not bring ten differant guns to do a job.

BTW you might be enjoying low cost ammo now but if BIG O and his crew (congress) have their way one might have depend on domesticaly produced reloading components and their goes your cost savings, For I seached for the best prices for both 7.62 X39 MM and .30-30 reloading components where as the bulliets arn't bad 7.62 brass is about 2/3 more in price over 30-30. Again this is the cheapest for virgin loading stock. If a forgien import ban on ammo was passed.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you go with the shotgun, get multiple barrels. One for close quarters combat and another for hunting.
I'll have to begg to differ on that one. I hear this time and time again.

The fact is that barrel length has little to do when it come to shotguns. It's all in the choke. If you can find a short barrel with an interchangable choke system then you can do double duity. The barrel length does no more than just standing that more closer to your target, bar extreames like a 4 inch barrel (I wouldn't do that even if I could). A 23 inch barrel will do the same thing as a 18 inch barrel if you were 5 inches closer to your target.

get a good choke system and the barrel length is a personal preference. I personally don't bother with chokes any more, I just use the flight control rounds by federal and my 18 1/2 inch barrel becomes a long shooter.

I suppose if we are talking about slugs, that's a compleately different story. You want a rifled barrel and sabots. You could use rifled slugs but if you are going to get two barrels any way then you should get the long one in the rifled model.

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
today im going to get a firearm:
Mossberg 12 gauge
Marlin 30-30
Colt 45

I'm getting the colt but wich should i get the 30-30 or mossberg :rolleyes:
Do you own any firearms or are these your first purchases?

I say go with the Colt .45. But then again, I love handguns.

Reactions: test

·
Banned
630 Posts
This past weekend, there was a firefight between two different families, a regular Hatfield- Mccoy duel in which one man was killed and two wounded....Both sides used shotguns loaded with OObuck except for one who carried a .270 winchester.....
The two wounded men were hit with OObuck, the one who was killed was shot with the .270. Ther fight was at close quarters 30 yards maximum and the fight ensued in and around farms equipment and trees....
If you have a choice between a rifle or a shotgun, always chose a rifle......The guy who was hit with the .270, died from massive blood loss....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Shotgun

Shotgun first, then Rifle.

Remington 870 Express.

Dove to Bear just change the ammo........What more can you ask for?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts