Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering why I hear alot of people say they don't like folders

I was thinking about a SOG assisted for a good survival/carry knife.....whats the skinny?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I like a folder for my personal defense. I carry a Benchmade 710. I have the edge angle down in the low teens. The knife is for one thing and one thing only, to cut someone(hope I never have to).

When it comes to actually using a knife as a workhorse then I go to the fixed blade.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recommend a fixed blade for self defense, because a lock can break, and then you have the blade swing closed and cut off your fingers. A fixed blade can break, but it does not have a hinge, and so it won't close on your fingers, it just breaks.

Don't fool yourself. Any lock can fail if you exert enough force.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My preferred blade is one I had made custom. This baby has seen work and is on its third sheath yet I keep the finish real nice. Must always take care of your knives.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recommend a fixed blade for self defense, because a lock can break, and then you have the blade swing closed and cut off your fingers. A fixed blade can break, but it does not have a hinge, and so it won't close on your fingers, it just breaks.

Don't fool yourself. Any lock can fail if you exert enough force.
I am convinced that modern locks are rather strong.....even the El cheapo I got from Wally World has a straight metal piece that falls in line with the blde when open. I'm no genuous but I can't for the life of me figure out how this could posibly fail fithout the aid of a hammer. I've been fittleing with it for a while now....may be the old locks have been fixed so they will not break.

What in the world do you do to break a fixed blade use a sledge hammer!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really how much does it take to break a knife?

I worry about fouling the blade far before the knife is going to break IMHO.

Please correct me, I'm new to this subject. When is the last time you broke a blade and how in the heck did you do it?

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Edit QUOTE:
My preferred blade is one I had made custom. This baby has seen work and is on its third sheath yet I keep the finish real nice. Must always take care of your knives.

Whoa! what a beauty! I'd buy one of those!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah that really is a sweet blade!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I'm not even going to speculate what it took to make such a beauty from scratch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you carry a folder for self defense be sure to get a folder with the clip on the butt end, not the hinge end. It is much easier to get out of your pocket. The AK47 from cold steel is an awesome knife that I've used for several years and the lock works well. The way it is made it will open when you pull it out of your pocket if want it to. Most folders have nothing to keep your hand from sliding up the blade if you stab something. This one does. I know that many states have length limits on the knife that you conceal so the 4 1/2 blade of the bowie knife would be illegal if its concealed.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
the k bar tdi is one of the best self defense fixed blades around. it has a nice curved handel so if you go to stab something you will have a lot of force behind it. pluss it is very comfortable to cary

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
I carry a case moose for every day use or a ww2 folder.
fixed blade,axe and folder when i go camping or take to the woods

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Got no problem with folders. Use one much more frequently than a fixed blade. But folders have their purpose and fixed blades have theirs. The differences mostly being in strength and size.

As far as SOG assisted knives, I have a Twitch II clipped to my pocket right now and really like it. If you get an assisted knife of any brand, make sure it works well without the spring, as they are just another part that can fail. I was playing with my Twitch the first night and had to reassemble it after the coil spring slipped its slot. No problems in the few months since, but at least I know it functions fine without the spring.

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
I have carried a folding knife every day for the past three years. Fixed blade's will always be superior, in every aspect of my mind, but living in a liberal state, they are illegal for me to EDC with. (Doesn't stop me... I just don't wear them to the mall, or box-marts.) I like my everyday folders to be quite small, much smaller than your traditional sized mora. I usually carry a spyderco Ladybug (Teeny tiny knife, with lock, and beast of a blade.) or my great-uncles old LF&C slipjoint. (Prefer the feel, and look of slipjoints, but I carry a lockback incase the need for defense arises.) Honestly I give folders a bit of utility in the wilderness. I carry a folder as I said, AT ALL TIMES. I like my folders to be able to hold, and take a keen edge, as well as workout kindling, make fuzzsticks, baton (Don't try this with a slipjoint, not saying I have... just, use common sense!) On dayhikes I carry a 10" Gerber axe, comanioned with my current favorite folder, the spyderco Ladybug. For quick deployment of the ladybug I've invested in a ziptie for the spyderhole to act like a thumbstud, or help deploy the knife from my pocket.

Sorry for the length, but I tend to get out of hand in any post.... <.<

-Giguere

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Fixed blade for a combat knife a folder for around the camp and cleaning fish ect. I have a couple of dozen knives and none I would want to get into a fight with.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Besides the several fixed blades in my survival/hunting gear, I carry a Byrd Meadowlark that was given to me for free from a friend who works at a knife store. I have to say this free little folder is one of the beast knives I've owned. Razor sharp, holds it's edge, sharpens easily and has been utterly reliable for various tasks. I even like it's teardrop better than the circle hole of the Spyderco parent company.
I've used the knife for my QCQ training and it's very fast, and keeps a good grip in the fingers. I have complete confidence in certain folding knives, for both utilitarian purposes and self defense. This is the model I own, vicious little bastard.:thumb:
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=230

1 - 20 of 21 Posts