Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a monumental task to work through all the half stories told by the media and the sensationalized headlines and stories, especially when interviews are done and the interviewee feels the need to embellish or exaggerate for some reason... It seems like the stories are always negative and pessimistic and it seems that VERY few play the "devil's advocate" - so I will.

I haven't done any research on current consumption and manufacturing numbers - this data seems to be the "general consensus" in MSM drivel.

The US uses 25% of the worlds energy resources while only hosting 3% of the worlds population. The average energy consumption per person is just outrageous when compared to countries like China or India but there is a major flaw in this "conclusion". One of the main reasons the US uses so much energy is that we manufacture a lot of things, much of the worlds leading technology was developed and manufactured here. It takes a lot of time, money, energy and materials to do all this. Research and exploration are costly. If the US was still an agrarian country with a tiny manufacturing industry then that energy consumption would be much less. It takes a lot of energy to make things, why do yo think we raised draft animals, dammed creaks, streams, rivers, etc. The top manufacturing nation in the world is going to use more energy than other nations (most likely). I'm sorry I couldn't make this a little clearer or easier to understand but this should give a little insight into the smear job that the media does on their own country! What is the penalty for treason???;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_energy_consumption

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_electricity_consumption

·
Registered
441 Posts
Germany and Japan do a good bit of manufacturing (I think more than the US) and use significantly less energy. Face it trains use less energy then our freeways. Their houses are smaller too.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not aware of any significant manufacturing left in the US that would require all that energy. My guess is that we spend the money on transportation and indoor climate control.
I'm guessing you are a liberal? Did you read my entire post or just the title? If you would read my OP then you would see that there is more than just manufacturing. There is R&D so we can develop high tech inventions and then have China steal them and make them in their country. I'm not going back into it. If you can't read the post you aren't worth talking to.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm guessing you are a liberal? Did you read my entire post or just the title? If you would read my OP then you would see that there is more than just manufacturing. There is R&D so we can develop high tech inventions and then have China steal them and make them in their country. I'm not going back into it. If you can't read the post you aren't worth talking to.
Well you guessed wrong about my political ideology. Just because I question your viewpoint doesn't mean that I'm diametrically opposed to your views, it just means that I'm questioning your assumptions and helping you to develop your argument here.

If you think the US is a manufacturing country, more power to you then. I guess I just don't see it. Here are some statistics for you, which do substantiate your idea of the US manufacturing being important. You'll notice that the US produces 21% of the worlds products.

On the other hand, here is a link showing that only 20% of the US energy use is dedicated towards manufacturing.

Here is a link that the wikipedia took it's information from. Sadly you'll notice the drop in energy consumption in the industrial sector as our jobs were shipped away.

Here's a nice breakdown of the industrial uses of energy in the US.

If you dig into this subject a bit more I think you'll find that we do use a lot more than anyone else in the world. You don't have to justify it or be ashamed of it, we earned the right to use it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
*Boom* head shot and the original point dies an ugly death

Looking at the fossil fuel usage its clear how much of it goes to cars, with the cheap price of fuel over there and the pointless engine sizes and inefficient vehicles its no wonder so much is used.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Germany and Japan do a good bit of manufacturing (I think more than the US) and use significantly less energy. Face it trains use less energy then our freeways. Their houses are smaller too.
I totally agree with you about Japan and Germany but there is a major difference between our countries and that is population density and that is where the freeway vs public transport comes in. I think I read that 10% of our energy was used for non commercial transportation. If our country was 1/4 the size with same population our fuel would obviously be less.

Either way, I feel that the MSM makes it sound like the US doesn't make anything anymore, which is not true. We may have exported the jobs like putting kitchen appliances together to China but we still make a lot of our high tech stuff. I'm not going to list them there are too many.

We are making 1 item that costs $10 million dollars while the Chinese are making 100 items that cost $10.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Disagree

Looking at the fossil fuel usage its clear how much of it goes to cars, with the cheap price of fuel over there and the pointless engine sizes and inefficient vehicles its no wonder so much is used.

AGREE
My intention wasn't to imply that the US uses the global average of energy or fuel, which is what this article has been deflected too (as always, the topic is lost:headshake:). The point was that the media seems to make out that our nations energy use is all due to careless, lazy, wasteful citizens and their vehicles and homes while they say nothing about the STILL massive manufacturing and cutting edge research and design (Pharma, weapons, computers, tech, etc) and we are the "police" of the world, supplying our allies with their weapons. That all takes A LOT of energy. Ok, now ignore all of what is written and turn this around to "it is all the citizens" again...

·
Registered
858 Posts
supplying our allies with their weapons. That all takes A LOT of energy. Ok, now ignore all of what is written and turn this around to "it is all the citizens" again...
weapons which are paid for, and if you mean NATO the majority of weapon systems used by them are Developed in their home nations. But apologies if I missed the point about demonisation.

However maybe the media has a point, lots of big cars, air conditioning, big tv's, houses and lights all the heating bills etc

·
Registered
989 Posts
actually here is a very interesting diagram I noticed. This helps tie everything together as to how we produce our energy and where we spend it. The thing that should jump out at everyone is our waste of both oil and electricity. I'm not quite sure why the oil is being wasted (lost in refining perhaps?), but the electricity is probably being wasted to maintain a constant over-capacity of electricity. A power plant has to constantly be producing electricity just in case you flip the light on, but if you don't, then it gets wasted.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I dont care anymore. They keep telling us we are so bad and we owe the world. Well I say BS. When something goes wrong we either go in and try to fix it and get told how bad we are. Or we do nothing and we are told how bad we are. So let just say screw it and do what we want. No more apologizing I'm tired of it.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
There is a lot of effort "talking down" the United States but the facts are we are still the colossus on the world stage.

All the emphasis is put on how much we import but they never mention we are still the 3rd largest oil producer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_production

all one talks about is our trade deficit but no one emphasis we were the world's leading manufacturer until recent. The opaque way China operates who knows we might still be on top of the heap.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/af2219cc-7c86-11df-8b74-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1UMIkxc9O

Everyone rails about our military budget but nobody acknowledges the great stability we provide that benefits THE ENTIRE WORLD along with profiting the U.S.

I like to think the U.S. has a bad flu and not terminal cancer. Pick just about any internation competitive arena and we can beat em if we believe we can. Do we still believe in us, the U.S.?

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,415 Posts
weapons which are paid for, and if you mean NATO the majority of weapon systems used by them are Developed in their home nations. But apologies if I missed the point about demonisation.

However maybe the media has a point, lots of big cars, air conditioning, big tv's, houses and lights all the heating bills etc
The rest of NATO buys US weapons and often test their weapons on our ranges. This is especially true of the western European nations, since they don't have any space to set aside for weapons test and development.

These countries develop their own platforms (ships, planes, tanks) to support national pride, but they don't build more than a handfull of them.

The big energy hogs in the US are refining of metals, chemical production and oil refining, and production of ag chemicals to support grain production.

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts

Very wrong.

There's a major industry missing from that list. Agriculture.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
The rest of NATO buys US weapons and often test their weapons on our ranges. This is especially true of the western European nations, since they don't have any space to set aside for weapons test and development.

These countries develop their own platforms (ships, planes, tanks) to support national pride, but they don't build more than a handfull of them.

The big energy hogs in the US are refining of metals, chemical production and oil refining, and production of ag chemicals to support grain production.
BS, they produce "a handful" because thats what they require. If you pulled your head out of your arse, you'd recognise that many European systems have been adopted by US forces. (AT4 ring a bell)

The big energy hogs in the US are the consumer.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I'm not aware of any significant manufacturing left in the US that would require all that energy. My guess is that we spend the money on transportation and indoor climate control.
and we get to do that.

thats why we are the greatest country the world has ever seen.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts