Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching and reading the news it appears everything revolves around Coronavirus testing, why? I feel we are being led to believe that if a certain percentage of the population is tested, then everything will be ok.

Do we not realize testing is a single snapshot in time? Just because X number of people test positive or negative, does not mean those numbers can not change tomorrow

I feel the public is being fed a line of propaganda by the government. What are we going to do, be tested everyday?

Om top of that, a great number of testing centers will only test people if they are showing symptoms. By that time it is days too late as the person has been infectious long before they started showing symptoms.

Then there is the issue with contact tracing. Let's say someone test positive, doctors and clinics are hiding behind HIPAA. Locals providers still refuse to provide peoples names to health officials. Even though the HIPAA law has exemptions fro public health authorities it is still a fight. HIPAA has made contact tracing almost impossible.

Sure, Coronavirus testing is better than not doing anything, but I feel it is not the silver bullet.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Kev I 100% agree. I have been wondering the exact same thing. Why do they think that testing will make everything go away.

I understand that if you knew you were positive you could then know for certain that you should isolate and quarantine.

Testing would need to be done multiple times. There are false positives, false negatives, you have to have the virus actively replicating inside your body, and the test has to be administered properly.

No magic bullet there that I can see...

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,261 Posts
Mainly it lets them know how many more cases are likely to result once we re-open everything. Lets them know to either re-open fully, or in baby steps.

The contact tracing aspects are just a fantasy in my opinion.
Far too many people to conduct tracing.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Sure, Coronavirus testing is better than not doing anything, but I feel it is not the silver bullet.
Nobody is saying that it is.

But we can't even begin to get a handle on this without more information so that is what they are seeking.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yeah, I've only been here for a few months, but it's clear this dude is an oxymoron of the highest order. Pure clickbait.

And when I say "oxymoron", I am being literal, not using double entendre. So mods don't not come harassing me for saying what I'm name calling.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It all hinges on the length of time a person is infectious. Without the narrative of the 14-27 day BS, the whole thing falls apart.

The only way that the fear of this can sustain its momentum is your belief in that narrative.

And let's be honest, the doctors leading the research have been far from accurate on much of anything.

I don't buy the 14+ day BS.

My opinion and I own it.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,528 Posts
Assuming this virus acts like nearly every other virus,

As soon as random antibody tests show a large precentage of the population have had, and recovered, we can stop all this nonsense and get back to work.

I do not want to kill off every American older than age 70, but a world wide economic depression is likely to trigger another world war. I dont want to re live the great depression, or fight world war three.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Assuming this virus acts like nearly every other virus,

As soon as random antibody tests show a large precentage of the population have had, and recovered, we can stop all this nonsense and get back to work.

I do not want to kill off every American older than age 70, but a world wide economic depression is likely to trigger another world war. I dont want to re live the great depression, or fight world war three.
I don't want to go through the Spanish flu. WWIII may not be so bad in comparison.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Watching and reading the news it appears everything revolves around Coronavirus testing, why?
Because if one doesn't have an accurate numerator and the denominator to divide it by one can have no good clue about the case fatality rate. If one can have no clue about the case fatality rate people'll believe whatever they are told. As already demonstrated by WHO and China.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
the testing is so they can do contact tracing. You get sick and everyone you came into contact with gets tested. Any positives get isolated.

That works very well to control the spread, but doesnt do much to develop herd immunity.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
testing is the key to opening things up fully. one thing I was thinking about today, is young people fair well for the most part. so, in a generation or 2, this will be a footnote in history, and it will seem like an odd thing to get really sick from in the future. I'm not a doctor, just my opinion on speculating how this will look in 50-100 years.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Watching and reading the news it appears everything revolves around Coronavirus testing, why? I feel we are being led to believe that if a certain percentage of the population is tested, then everything will be ok.

Do we not realize testing is a single snapshot in time? Just because X number of people test positive or negative, does not mean those numbers can not change tomorrow

I feel the public is being fed a line of propaganda by the government. What are we going to do, be tested everyday?

Om top of that, a great number of testing centers will only test people if they are showing symptoms. By that time it is days too late as the person has been infectious long before they started showing symptoms.

Then there is the issue with contact tracing. Let's say someone test positive, doctors and clinics are hiding behind HIPAA. Locals providers still refuse to provide peoples names to health officials. Even though the HIPAA law has exemptions fro public health authorities it is still a fight. HIPAA has made contact tracing almost impossible.

Its not a silver bullet at all. It does help give you a better idea of whats going on. Ideally, youd know exacty how many infected peopel you have at any given moment. Of course that being impossible you do the next best thing which is test people as much as you can.
Having said that, theres also a POLITICAL component. countries now what to show whos got the biggest, longest "look at how well we handled things" penis. That measn, low mortality rate. For that you need to show you have a lot of infected people vs the number of dead people. So you need to a)lower the number of people that die testing positive b) Test as many people that are unlikely do die or have already recovered.
ITs complex, evil and cunning and most people just dont that way but it is infacts whats in the mind of evey politician around the world.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Remember VD testing back in the day? Name your contacts... sounds familiar these days.

And its not like testing grows on trees, at least not right now. In my neck of the woods, tests are reserved for those showing signs of the virus. I'd bet that with in a few months there will be a fairly accurate home test that gives results in 10 seconds, just pee on this strip...

·
Patiently Waiting
5,995 Posts
Australia has the highest rate of testing per capita in the world. Check out our CV-19 stats for proof mass testing works. As of today we’ve had about 90 deaths from the virus compared to how many tens of thousands each in the USA, GB, Spain, Italy etc.

Mass testing works. When you can identify and isolate those infected you can stop the virus. In my home state of Queensland we’ve had zero new cases for two days in a row. My wife is front line testing for CV-19 and they are testing anybody that asks for it. No questions asked. You phone a number, drive up, get swabbed and get a result a few days later. Anybody tested must stay home until their results show a negative result.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,261 Posts
Yeah, I've only been here for a few months, but it's clear this dude is an oxymoron of the highest order. Pure clickbait.

And when I say "oxymoron", I am being literal, not using double entendre. So mods don't not come harassing me for saying what I'm name calling.
You don't even know what oxymoron means from your grammatical misuse of the word.

And insulting the man that started this website you are posting on is very poor form.

And then claiming you are being harassed in some way.

It is rare to encounter someone with no redeeming features or values. I assume you must be good at something in life. Maybe go do whatever that is?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Kev I 100% agree. I have been wondering the exact same thing. Why do they think that testing will make everything go away.

I understand that if you knew you were positive you could then know for certain that you should isolate and quarantine.

Testing would need to be done multiple times. There are false positives, false negatives, you have to have the virus actively replicating inside your body, and the test has to be administered properly.

No magic bullet there that I can see...
which is exactly the reason you are being asked to shelter in place and wear a mask. yes there are false negatives, false positives...but your chances of getting this are reduced if you follow the guidelines of the best chances you have of not contracting this disease from the jumpstart.

i cant understand how the idiots walk around all over NJ with their masks below the noses havent figured this out. no i dont want you sneezing on me but if you re going to be stupid enough not to protect yourself, then you deserve the consequences. my little state of 170 miles from tip to toe had over 113,000 active cases of corona yesterday as reported by THE MAJOR TESTING LABS. so how far off can this be? 1%, 2% plus minus for clinical error...that s all...

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Kev,

As someone who does the testing, I have had similar questions that I struggle with every day.

The test does nothing for the person other than satisfy some curious knowledege AND it lets me give HQ to someone who remains sick after test results are back.

However, there is no other difference in care given.

Treatment if you think you're positive, stay isolated x 14 days.

If you are confirmed positive stay isolated for 72 hours after respiratory symptoms resolve.

The answer is isolation. And, in most cases, longer isolation for the unconfirmed sick.

The benefits are not to the individual but to epidemiologists who can trend the disease. I don't know if there is a societal net benefit at this point.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts