Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On many survival sites I've been on, two weapons are constantly mentioned; the SKS and the Mosin Nagant.
Now, I own an SKS myself, and am pleased with it, the price for both the SKS and ammo, though I think it's ruggedness is overhyped, it actually requires more attention than my other pieces. But for the price and quality, plus aftermarket parts, it's fantastic.

The Nagant, on the other hand...Maybe it's cheaper where everyone else is from, but in my parts the cheapest one I found was just under a thousand. Wood expands/contracts in incliment weather, and where I am we have two kinds of season: wet and wet.
So why do y'all like the Mosin Nagant so much, when one can get a good Savage 111 package with inert polymer stock, and in a variety of calibers, or even a good used Remington for that matter?

·
Registered
105 Posts
People buy the Mosin Nagant buy it because it is interesting historically and relatively cheap to purchase and shoot. I won’t bore you with a long history of the rifle; you can find that info on Mosinnagant.net and 7.62x54r.net. The top three military sniping records are held by two Finns and a Russian during WW2 using Mosin Nagants. The movie Enemy at the Gates depicts the Russian sniper using a Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 with a scope. The two Finnish snipers achieved 505 and 400+ confirmed kills using open sights in temperatures that dipped to 20 degrees below zero. So the rifle potentially very accurate and can function in harsh conditions.

You can buy and Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 for $75 and up. There are many variants and conditions (after all these are old battle rifles). If you are worried about wet conditions you can take the receiver and barrel out of the original wood stock and put it in an inexpensive fiberglass stock and float the barrel while you are at it. The result would be an inexpensive accurate rifle (assuming you have a good barrel).

The Mosin Nagant is probably not going to be more accurate than a Savage or a used Remington because technology and metallurgy have improved since the Mosin was manufactured.

I brought one for hunting deer. I got interested about hem after reading about the two wars Russia and Finland fought during WW2. Finland held off the Russians using Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 they took from them in previous battles and Mosins they bought from other countries. The Finns took the Mosin receivers and put new stocks, sights and barrels creating a few variants. I bought one of these variants the M39.

The modifications I have had to make to scope out my M39 probably bring the price close to a good used Remington 700 ADL with scope. The wisdom of taking a 10 pound scoped out WW2 battle rifle deer hunting is debatable but it is a free country and I personally could care less what people think of it.

But seriously, a Savage or used Remington is the practical choice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Both of these Russian weapons availability will eventually run out. The Russians are up- dating their military, and dumping all of the old reliable stuff they've had since WW2.The surplus ammo for these rifles will also run out. Especially the 7.62x54R high powered ammo...Right now the getting is good, and affordable.
You would do yourself a big favor if you picked up these Russian made rifles;
The Mosin-Nagant M91/30, The SKS semi-auto rifle, the (real) AK-47 in any form, the PKL semi auto sniper rifle. Either by government clamp down, or by eventual stock depletion, these weapons will become nearly impossible to get later.

I really wonder what Russia has up it's sleeve, since they are dumping all this stuff..
What are they issuing to their troops today? You know it'll be deadly...

Also, never underestimate the killing power,accuracy and range of a good 30.06 rifle!
No home should be without one!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Pretty sure the Russians still issue the Dragunov in 54R. Its a good rifle,that will soldier on for a while.Finland also uses it. And the PKM,also 54R.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
The Nagant, on the other hand...Maybe it's cheaper where everyone else is from, but in my parts the cheapest one I found was just under a thousand.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: W T F!!!!

Where do you live that they are that much?!? :xeye:

I retail 91/30 and M44 Mosins for $105 in my store.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
but in my parts the cheapest one I found was just under a thousand. Wood expands/contracts in incliment weather, and where I am we have two kinds of season: wet and wet.
Where are you that a Mosin is near a grand?
As for the humidity some have laminated stocks that don't seem to swell as bad.

Opps, Sixpack beat me to it....guess I should post as soon as I spell something out rather than leave then post when I get back.......D'OH!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Yeah,even the really rare Finnish Nagants usually don't fetch a thousand bucks. Run of the mill Finns average around 200-250 bucks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mosin cost $120 high side for your plan jane model

synthetic gun stock $60 I have seen cheeper without free shiping.

1000 rounds 500-600 bucks or 500 rounds for $465 wolf.

So for $780 buckos thats dirt cheep! try that with a Remington 700

On top of all that you get somthing that could have smoked some Nazi in WW2.

·
Registered
317 Posts
mosin 91/30 - $75 plus shipping, fees and taxes
synthetic stock - $65 plus shipping
440rds of 7.62x54r - $80 plus shipping

$220 for a synthetic stock, rugged dependable rifle and 440rds for it, You won't find a savage or a mossberg or anything chambered in a similar cartridge (.30-06) for that price.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: W T F!!!!

Where do you live that they are that much?!? :xeye:

I retail 91/30 and M44 Mosins for $105 in my store.
Well I saw one at the gun show in Fremont Ne on saturday and they wanted... choke, gasp... $449 for an ordinary kinda beat up Russian MN with a hex receiver. I dont think he's gonna sell it.

For 300-450 or so a person can get a Finn modified MN that will shoot cloverleafs, they are just amazing weapons.

I expect you could take your MN by the barrel and throw it off the cliff and go find it with no damage. Try THAT with a Rem. 700

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
The MN isn't necessarily a bad weapon. They are cheap and fun to shoot and the ammo they normally feed on can put a hurt on whatever it hits. If you are in the market for a surplus shooter they fit the bill. An MN with 300-500 rounds is good trade/barter material WSHTF. If you want an inexpensive US made boltgun the Savages are hard to beat, not pretty, but accurate as hell.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
If you want an inexpensive US made boltgun the Savages are hard to beat, not pretty, but accurate as hell.
Well, a Mosin isn't going to win any beauty contests either. In fact, it just might be the ugliest battle rifle of all. Up until the moment you pull the trigger...

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
Well, a Mosin isn't going to win any beauty contests either. In fact, it just might be the ugliest battle rifle of all. Up until the moment you pull the trigger...
I completely agree. Looks mean nothing when all the chips are in the pot. Shooting is a results based enterprise.

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
I'd go with a Mauser or an SMLE rifle instead of an MN. Good rifles in their own right and they do NOT dislocate your shoulders nor set off alarms at earthquake monitoring centers...

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where are you that a Mosin is near a grand?
As for the humidity some have laminated stocks that don't seem to swell as bad.

Opps, Sixpack beat me to it....guess I should post as soon as I spell something out rather than leave then post when I get back.......D'OH!
Ha, I'm northwest, folks. My sks was even over 300.00. Stuff aint cheap here. I'm also familiar with the MN and it's history. Thanks for all of your thoughts on the matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts