Survivalist Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 2859 Posts

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Someone thought the future value of nothing was $25,700. Proof many people have more money than sense.
People here are glad others believed the present value of nothing was 20k because their own gain depends on it.

This kind of predator/prey behavior is reserved solely for "men who are SMALLER than their money", as Ayn Rand so aptly put it. ;)

Greg

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Take a look at the similarities in this curve.
Brilliant! :thumb:

Those charts reveal the unethical pathology of zero sum gambling. The only difference is that gold is real and bitcoin is not real...

...however, trying to get something for nothing by preying upon others in order to gain from their loss is exactly the SAME.

Greg

·
Hunter
3,027 Posts

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Define real for me here, Greg
Sure. :)

Real is physical.

Gold has many other uses besides currency and jewelery. Due to it's superb conductivity it is constantly being consumed by the electronics industry.

But even though gold is real and bitcoin is not real...

...people gamble on both in exactly the same way with the hope of getting something for nothing from others.

What makes this closed zero sum system perfectly fair is that the gamblers who lose to others are exactly the SAME kind of people as the gamblers who gain from others.

So they can only prey upon their own kind.
Decent people have nothing to do with their world. :)

Greg

·
Registered
5,420 Posts

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Read beyond the headline... I'm not sure the article supports your agenda.
My own point actually has nothing to do with either the reality of gold or the virtuality of bitcoin...

...but rather the identicality of unethical something for nothing gambling on both.

I will add a comment on virtuality versus reality,
since this is a survivalist forum and not a morality forum.

Because bitcoin is purely a virtuality,
if there was a Solar CME or an EMF detonation,
bitcoin ceases to exist...

While gold, on the other hand,
because it is real, continues to exist.

Greg

·
Hunter
3,027 Posts
Read beyond the headline... I'm not sure the article supports your agenda.
My "Agenda" is that cryptocurrencies today are crap. They are crap because they do not have the security and stability they need to become currency. That might change. Cryptocurrency needs also to be backed by something (ANYTHING WILL DO, really) or they will never get out of speculative territory. I think you should support that "agenda" because if things continue much longer with THIS current cryptocurrency environment the idea is never gonna go mainstream. If you support crypto and the original idea of being a true currency and not a thieving scheme you will support the above "agenda".

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
My "Agenda" is that cryptocurrencies today are crap. They are crap because they do not have the security and stability they need to become currency. That might change. Cryptocurrency needs also to be backed by something (ANYTHING WILL DO, really) or they will never get out of speculative territory. I think you should support that "agenda" because if things continue much longer with THIS current cryptocurrency environment the idea is never gonna go mainstream. If you support crypto and the original idea of being a true currency and not a thieving scheme you will support the above "agenda".
I'd argue we are well beyond speculation. Welcome to several years ago. BTC is here to stay, and blockchain tech is as well.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Hunter
3,027 Posts
I'd argue we are well beyond speculation. Welcome to several years ago. BTC is here to stay, and blockchain tech is as well.

I'd argue that we should see how long this technology will really "STAY". Most probably it will be replaced soon or just slowly fade out of use. One point against this tech is that is so energy intensive that the World at large cannot afford it. Bad tech for the environment.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
I'd argue that we should see how long this technology will really "STAY". Most probably it will be replaced soon or just slowly fade out of use.
So what kind of marker / tool / measurement would you gauge this by?

I don't think you have an answer. If you're so certain it hasn't crossed the "finish line" of "here to stay", define that threshold and what it looks like.

·
Hunter
3,027 Posts
So what kind of marker / tool / measurement would you gauge this by?

I don't think you have an answer. If you're so certain it hasn't crossed the "finish line" of "here to stay", define that threshold and what it looks like.

A threshold is to be used by a majority of people I know. At this point in time there is nobody I know that uses this. If it stays in the confines of dark internet and mildly rich "pioneers" it will die sooner than you think. The fad is going away. The ONLY thing that prolonged its life was Iran, Venezuela, North Korea crisis, shadow businesses and some wishful thinking naive people.

You want to create something truly innovative? Make it a Currency with currency stability. The more unstable it is the more it will be brushed aside by PMs, Fiat currency and government bonds and what not coming from stable governments.

On top of that, it is unsustainable on the energy side:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bitcoin-electricity-1.4668768

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/bitcoin-backlash-as-miners-suck-up-electricity-stress-power-grids-in-central-washington/

https://coincentral.com/what-is-the-environmental-impact-of-bitcoin-mining/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-07/quebec-halts-bitcoin-mining-power-requests-amid-booming-demand

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-minings-electricity-bill-is-it-worth-it

https://www.livescience.com/62582-bitcoin-energy-how-much.html

Not great headlines for an EMERGING tech.

In other words it is not feasible unless it reaches 10000000000 $ per bitcoin.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
A threshold is to be used by a majority of people I know. At this point in time there is nobody I know that uses this. If it stays in the confines of dark internet and mildly rich "pioneers" it will die sooner than you think. The fad is going away. The ONLY thing that prolonged its life was Iran, Venezuela, North Korea crisis, shadow businesses and some wishful thinking naive people.

You want to create something truly innovative? Make it a Currency with currency stability. The more unstable it is the more it will be brushed aside by PMs, Fiat currency and government bonds and what not coming from stable governments.
You dodged the question, and challenge entirely.

I'll seriously consider your argument and debate it in earnest if you define this criteria by which BTC can prove "its here to stay".

Until you do, neither I nor anyone else in here is going to take you seriously and your arguments hold no weight. You can't argue something isn't real/valid without also defining how the validity is assumed, not with intelligent people.

·
Hunter
3,027 Posts
You dodged the question, and challenge entirely.

I'll seriously consider your argument and debate it in earnest if you define this criteria by which BTC can prove "its here to stay".

Until you do, neither I nor anyone else in here is going to take you seriously and your arguments hold no weight. You can't argue something isn't real/valid without also defining how the validity is assumed, not with intelligent people.

In fact Bitcoin does not create wealth AT ALL. It goes in the opposite direction.

It takes YOUUUUGE amounts of energy (that cost us trees, pollution, healthcare, .etc) and transforms all this energy in "fake wealth" that is so wildly variable it is unusable as currency. Do you think it will stay too much longer in the cryptoCURRENCY territory or will just pass into crypto only?

When it will be too expensive to mine Bitcoin then it will crash spectacularly and with it all others wild west cryptos. Then, the banks (through the governments and international bodies) will regulate things and they will be the only ones that will be allowed to make crypto currencies which they will make stable and even cheap enough for everybody to use them. Then banks will take small amounts from each transaction and they will become rich once again. Little people will use it but they will be hooked to banks informational system as it happens today with the digital fiat currency. The true public made crypto blockchain products will disappear in black internet (and will be outlaw and hunted actively) and soon they will be insignificant in proportion to banks crypto offerings.

Do you remember the great 3D printing revolution of 10 years ago? It did not pan out for the little people. Please investigate why:

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/the-3d-printing-revolution-that-wasnt/

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/081715/what-happened-3d-printing-revolution.asp

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I think you should support that "agenda" because if things continue much longer with THIS current cryptocurrency environment the idea is never gonna go mainstream.
Too late, cat...

Feeling entitled to get something for nothing from others
is already mainstream, and has been for a long time.

It's called liberalism. ;)

Greg

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Too late, cat...

Feeling entitled to get something for nothing from others
is already mainstream, and has been for a long time.

It's called liberalism. ;)

Greg
You keep saying something for nothing, but where do you get this nothing? I can't create BTC out of thin air, I must mine it, or buy it, or sell something for it.

Help me understand who is being taken advantage of in this transaction.

·
Hunter
3,027 Posts

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
You keep saying something for nothing, but where do you get this nothing?
Feeling entitled to get something for nothing
means trying to get money from others
for which you did not work to earn.

In the liberal something-for-nothing system
you do not create wealth by working to create value.

The value you get comes from others who lose value
when they sell for a lower price than they bought.

Something for nothing is exactly like government welfare,
where people feel entitled to get what they did not work to earn.

Greg

1001 - 1020 of 2859 Posts