Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2859 Posts

·
Sinner w/ a great Savior
3,919 Posts
If were both on the brink of starving to death and I have a some food and you have some gold, who's richer?

Gold only has value because people keep insisting its valuable.
Given that people keep insisting it's valuable... it continues to be.

FerFAL on this forum was one of the few here who have actually survived a TEOTWAWKI event for his country. He wrote of the usefulness of gold during his country's economic collapse.

Have gold. AND. Have food. It's not either/or.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
What's a Federal Reserve Note worth?
$608 of Federal Reserve Notes get you a bit coin.

So many on SB claim how worthless USD is now. Yet, bit coin is backed by nothing but speculation. And why is its value expressed in USD if USD is so worthless?

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
If were both on the brink of starving to death and I have a some food and you have some gold, who's richer?

Gold only has value because people keep insisting its valuable. Just like anything else. I understand trading gold and silver as an investment, physically owning gold seems silly.
depends on the rest of the world.

My family escaped their country during massive upheaval and lived using gold.

My mother's entire town was wiped out because they didnt leave.

Many jews escaped the holocaust using gold.

The case where gold has no value compared to food has been much more common than the opposite.

etc.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
To each their own. I see the long term investment strategy of protecting wealth. As a prep, there are probably better uses for your money.
Why does it need to be 'either/or' and not both as part of diversification.

If your funds are so limited of course you should fill other needs first until you have reached the desired level of prep. Then with spare cash you should diversify with wealth protection.

You probably shouldn't buy ammo and firearms either as you can't eat them either.

Perhaps instead of storing 5 years worth of food you should store only 1-2 years worth of food and learn to garden thereby leaving 3-4 years worth of food costs to diversify with.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Gold only has value because people keep insisting its valuable. Just like anything else. I understand trading gold and silver as an investment, physically owning gold seems silly.
I think most here on this forum will tell you to buy enough food and water before you dive into PMs. When people here speak of gold and silver, most of the time that prepper has already taken the time to prep food.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm not bad mouthing bitcoin. If someone wants to slap a value to a digital coin that has no real world applications, that's fine. All I'm saying is that silver should be either around the same price or more at this moment in time.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I'm not bad mouthing bitcoin. If someone wants to slap a value to a digital coin that has no real world applications, that's fine.
BTC is accepted at many retailers today with real merchandise. That's a real world application for me.

And if you want to, you can sell your BTC at any time for dollars.

·
statists' be statin'
3,326 Posts
Physically taking possession of an asset that has been valuable for thousands of years is silly?

Get me ready for the loony bin! :D:
If money is made buying low and selling high, this is not the time to buy gold.

In inflation-adjusted dollars, gold is fairly volitile and is at a peek right now. It may go up but history tells us that it will someday take a tumble. Buy after the tumble.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
340 Posts
I'm not bad mouthing bitcoin. If someone wants to slap a value to a digital coin that has no real world applications, that's fine. All I'm saying is that silver should be either around the same price or more at this moment in time.
You're being Naive if you think itr doesn't have real world applications. There are a bunch of companies now accepting it.

Any currency that isnt controlled by one government or another is going to have a ton of people interested in it. It most certainly has real world applications.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

In inflation-adjusted dollars, gold is fairly volitile and is at a peek right now. It may go up but history tells us that it will someday take a tumble. Buy after the tumble.
Please provide your reasoning and/or sources for your assertion.

Why do you believe that gold is currently overpriced? Gold is already well off it's record high, and the stock market correction that is, IMHO, far more likely to occur soon will only push gold prices up higher.

And I don't buy PMs as an investment, per se, far more as a long-term assurance of wealth preservation (i.e. hyperinflation, default on dollar, etc.).

·
statists' be statin'
3,326 Posts
Please provide your reasoning and/or sources for your assertion.

Why do you believe that gold is currently overpriced? Gold is already well off it's record high, and the stock market correction that is, IMHO, far more likely to occur soon will only push gold prices up higher.

And I don't buy PMs as an investment, per se, far more as a long-term assurance of wealth preservation (i.e. hyperinflation, default on dollar, etc.).
I don't believe gold, or anything else, is overpriced. I think everything is worth exactly what people are willing to pay for it at a particular point in time.

I do know that gold is several times higher in price now than it has been historically. The two times this has happened in the last 100 years, the price returned to more normal levels fairly quickly. When that happened, those who had bought gold for wealth preservation ended up a small portion of the wealth they were trying to preserve.

But I have no idea when that will happen this time. Tomorrow, 10 years from now, 20 years? If history does repeat itself, it will be sooner rather than later but there is no way to predict the date or the time. And...it's also possible that an something that's never happened before will happen and gold will hold its value forever.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts

You are obviously not a student of history.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

All markets are managed but both Ag and Au are being controlled at a criminal level to keep up the confidence game in the FRN. Prices are held down and any rise is by accident. If you wish to continue waiting then good luck. I think it's a bargain now and apparently I'm not wrong since so many fund managers and banks have jumped on the band wagon too.

Hmm, I wonder what negative interests would do to the price of gold or value of the dollar...

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO bitcoins will very difficult to use once the SHTF. I do not have any, will not be buying any, and will not take any as payment. It may be a great investment for some but is is Big Brother to its core. When we are forced into paperless money society, unless the crooks in government have secretly bought a ton of bitcoins each, it will be worth zero $. Who exactly backs the bitcoin?

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
340 Posts
You are obviously not a student of history.
Twas my favorite subject in school, conquests for gold was covered extensively. I never understood the fascination with shinny metal.

I've found a better investment investment than gold to protect wealth, it's land. I personally know 2 people who've invested in gold, both are stuck for who knows how long, or take a loss.

Back to the topic at hand, I've heard several interview with Andreas M. Antonopoulos, most recently on the Joe Rogan podcast. He's worth listening to if your interested in Bitcoin

21 - 40 of 2859 Posts