Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my wife to understand the crisis this country is in. I had her watch one of the videos on here (about Ron Paul predicting what is going to happen) to try to cue her in on what is going on. It didn't really help. She just doesn't get it. She says, "Well, all I can do is just keep working". I really want her to get on board. I tell her we have to prepare for what is coming. She asks, "How do we prepare"? I say stock up on food is one thing. She doesn't understand why. I tell her there could be food shortages. "How?" I try to tell her that the businesses that transport food to the stores can go out of business. She says, but everyone will keep buying food, so how will they go out of business? And I don't know what to tell her.
I know we need to prepare. But, obviously, I am not good at putting it into words WHY we should prepare. If anyone has suggestions, videos, or articles to read to explain to my wife "WHY", it would be greatly appreciated. Or if you can post here the answer to "WHY", so I can have her read it, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
show her how these sort of economic recession happened in the great depression, research the topic and lay it out to her in scientific terms, if nothing else tell her it's an investement to combat the rising inflation, use clear logical scientific facts, theories can confuse people sometimes, show her how people don't think it will happen and it does. If that doesn't work I'd say just prep anyway, she'll come aboard the ship when she sees the s*** river flooding the streets

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I've banged my head against the wall trying to get freinds and relatives to
wake up. Seems there is no magic bullet, or perfectly reasoned argument that is able to get through. The best you can do is simply keep doing what you know needs to be done,buy and store what ever you can get away with
without causing undue stress to your marriage.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Many people choose not to see. To accept the the fact that civilzation and our society in particular is only a thin veneer is something that they either really don't want to face or cannot face.

One of my favorite observations to get the point across is: "we are only five missed meals away from anarchy." It sounds flippant, but those that take the time to really contemplate what that means usually wake up. Those that dismiss it are not capable of understanding it at this point and time.

All we can do, is keep taking small steps and hopefully when something does happen our family and friends will be appreciative of our efforts.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a lot of friends who are flying stuff in under the radar to keep their wives from complaining... Storing some stuff in the trunk til they go get groceries and then slipping them in the bags, or tossing it into the cart when she's not looking.

My girlfriend is mostly on board, but there are so many things today she thinks are more important. I have put my foot down. We WILL get this, Sorry but I'm doing another bucket of black beans this week.

We go to Big Lots, they have tons and tons of prep-type food there. Zatarain's Rice Entrees and Hormel ComplEats for half the China-Mart price.

As a last resort you can always split your money down the middle. I was brought up that my mom's money was hers and my dad's money was his. Bills were split down the middle as was everything else. She doesn't want to let you prep, tell her she'll have to deal with it.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I'm lucky, my wife is in. However, we aren't preparing for teotwawki, were getting ready to be broke, snowed in, really hungry, or as hosts to friends fleeing earthquake aftermath. No good reason not to have a full pantry. I'm astounded to think of people who would struggle for three days. Even as a bachelor, eating out for 90% of my meals, I kept two weeks of dried and canned foods to prepare for a bad month where I was unable to work. Just like a hidden envelope with one months rent in cash, it was my insurance policy.

Living in the mountains now, I have about three months of good eating or six months of a forage/canned food diet. When the road along our ridge went out in 72, the only way into town was on horseback, or hiking a mile or so if you were lucky enough to have a vehicle stuck on the other side. If our road slips again, I figure the more food we have on hand, the less I have to pack in.

Don't you live in Florida? You guys should have basic hurricane stores, and from there it is easy to build up. Prepare for the obvious, and you'll be prepared for the dubious.

·
Registered
99 Posts
To eat:thumb:

Seriusly though, you should stock up on food for a variety of reasons. Food is the basics, you will need it in all circumstances. Tell her to think about Katrina, icestorms in NE, etc for a reason to stock up on short-term 3-10 days.

For longer term (I think everyone should have 3 months in ordinary times), inform her about this. Yes, the USA has an abundance of food, however in the fever to increase profits even our food system has been placed on a just-in-time inventory system. People often think the store has cases and cases of stuff in the back, well they don't really. They only have about 3 days worth BASED ON TYPICAL CONSUMPTION. There are tons of ways our distribution system can be interrupted. Infrastrusture can be compromised - railroads, highways ships, etc can be destroyed or idled due to terroist attack or if fuel is stopped.

This is basically the big probelm. Most food, especially out of season comes from far away today. If there are transport probelms, supplies can be comprimised for months based on LOC, etc alone. It is not about suppliers going out of business, but interruptions in production and transport.

How old is she?? Does she remember the 70's and gas lines? I wasn't around then, however I've heard the stories of then and WWII rationing. Tell her about what has already happened b/c it makes it more real.

LAstly, find a way to do it. She will thank you later.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I guess I'm a very lucky guy, my wife has been on board since befor Y2K.
We have a dry marker board on the door of the fridge, so when we see something we need or should get it goes on the list.
My wife adds more to the list than I usually do.
Like this weeks list, so far, 12 gallons bleach, 50 lbs potatos, 2 cases canned soup, 6 tubes tooth paste. Thats for next Wednesday and its only Sunday.
We've both seen floods, hard winters and lack of a good cash flow.
So a well stocked pantry has saved our bacon more than once.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
FLsurvivalist...she said all she could do is "Keep working"...there is your in-road.

Talk about all the job losses right now. heck, we have had 9 weeks of shutdown where I work since july, with 6 weeks being from October to now. (Iam now off til Jan 5).

We laid 40 people off out of 600 on friday. Abolished 2 salaried positions and 3 support positions that were hourly (1 Quality auditor, 1 Maint, 1 Supply Clerk).

My better half was the quality auditor. I had a supervisor who owed me, so he took her for his department in Metal Fabrication. It's a pay cut, but still a job.

Anyways, we will be using a bit of our preps to help get us thru til January. So yeah it was definately worth having! I just feel bad for the folks that didn't make the cut. I think there MIGHT be 1 other prepper in our plant of 600.

If the economy dosen't turn by the 2nd quarter, we will be seeing more losses of jobs.
We are tied to the home industry, as we build air handlers (the thing in the closet that takes filters)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: FLsurvivalist

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
No offense, but is she blonde?

Its more common sense more than anything. If transporting companies go out of business, food and other stuff cannot be supplied to the stores. If everyone buys out everything in the store, there will be nothing left. Thus, food shortages start to happen.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
FLsurvivalist:
Okay, here goes.
To the wife of FLsurvivalist:
While you may be a bit confused about all the *prepping* things your husband has talked to you about--and that you see on this board, neither your husband nor the folks here are nut-jobs. We are "awake and aware". I recently had to deal with Hurricane Ike where I live. I had 150 gallons of water stored and a lot of food stored. At the end of the emergency in my area, when power was restored and things got relatively normal again, I had gone through 100 gallons of that water and much of my food supplies. Granted, I live in an unusual situation-- I run a rooming house. I used my supplies to ensure the safety and comfort of my tenants that chose to stay and weather out the storm rather than be evacuated.

I know you live in an area of relative plenty (agriculturally), but do you have a garden? If not, what is going to happen when a huge storm comes through and disrupts local services there? How will you cook when the power is out for 3+ weeks? Where will you get your food?
If the price of gas goes up again (and it will), what will happen to your grocery budget when the food you eat doubles or triples in price to reflect the increases in shipping costs? If you buy food NOW, while it is still inexpensive, it is like having a savings account! You save money for "a rainy day", right? Why not save food for the same thing? If you or your spouse lose your jobs, how will you eat while you seek other employment? That can be quite a worry. If you have food storage, it is one less thing to worry about!
I know food storage and storage of other necessities is boring to most people. Not quite the hobby you envisioned. But realize it is an activity that can ensure your families future well being!

It doesn't mean you have to store tons of food in every nook and cranny of your house --- although some people do that, lol!

You can start a simple food storage system by buying one or two more of an item at the store during your regular grocery trips. Buy 4 cans of soup instead of two. An extra pack of toilet paper.An extra bottle of shampoo or bar of soap. If the store is having a great sale on macaroni and cheese, buy extra! It doesn't take up much room in your cabinets and almost everyone has an unused closet or other storage space.

Your husband loves you and wants to provide for you, even if the worst of things occurs. Let him. He wants to make sure, no matter what happens, that you have food on your plate and water to drink. He wants you to live in comfort and free from want. A greater expression of love I do not know.

If you love him, let him.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Stop and think about all of the situations that could cause the stoppage of food being delivered to your local grocer. Tornado, gas shortage, earthquake, snow, flood, being laid off from your job, etc. There are tons of things that can cause your local grocer to NOT receive their goods. You should have at least 1 month supply of food to start with.

Use recent news to help aid your situation (Katrina, up north snow outages, etc.).

Regardless of whether or not you can get her on board you still need to prepare. Because when the time comes that you need to use your stash, she'll realize right then the importance of having it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This first guy will make a believer out of anybody. Its long, 3-4 hours but well worth it. You should watch it if nothing else.

http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

I like this site for news and peak oil type stuff.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Index.html

For a different type of threat. You need to watch it before showing it to her. Might be a bit over the top and thus counter productive in the long run.

http://noaztlan.org/

A Katrina after action report so to speak.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/disastr.htm

There were several great sites set up post Katrina documenting the carnage.
There was one about a guy that evacuated with his prepper father in law and one about a guy that took his personal deuce and a half to help. Maybe the other members have the links?????

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Don't forget the economics of storing food, Items that cost (Example)$1.00 now will be inflated in price the next time you purchase it. So infact your saving money by buying it now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As a fellow Floridian it does surprise me that anyone living here doesn't have, at minimum, 2 weeks worth of supplies. Now concerning your wife, don't talk about Global events or National scenarios or even state disasters, all these things are to disconnected from her daily life to mean anything. Do talk about what you and her would do if either of you lost their job. Do talk about local events that could directly effect you. Show her the Red Cross site and the FEMA site, these are main stream organizations that she is aware of and may take seriously.

I would honestly stay away from sites that try to scare you into prepping. Don't go to conspiracy sites or even survival boards like this one, it's to overwhelming. Ease her into it, show her how easy it is. Go shopping with her and buy an extra can or two of tuna or SPAM or whatever product you guys like. Do this every time and put the extra items away, after awhile show her the progress that the two of you have made with little effort.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
asker if she has notice food prices going up? and does she think they will go up again this next year ,and the year after that? then ask her if you buy stuff on sale you save money,right?. so if you buy a years worth of stuff on sale, NOW,you save alot of money for the whole year. for example right now is a good time to buy certain spices buy what you use all year, now, and youll save for the whole year. and if she doesnt want to save money then fine she need to go out and get a 2nd job to help pay for her waste, since she doesnt want to save.

she really needs to read this

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=49;t=000074;p=0

and every time they say something on tv about the U.S. haveing a recession, economic collapse, about dollar devalueing,or hyper-inflation remind her they are talking about the U.S. turnning into argintina.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/global-food-shortages-spreading.php

sometimes ppl dont want to lesson specially women no matter what they seem to want to argue with what ever you want to do. very few will lesson and think about it,then make a decision weather to agree or not. and for the guy who have women who do think you better hang on to them they are VERY rare.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Mos19K: I agree on the the FEMA site of be prepared. It's a non-threatening approach to preparing for newbys.
Little Billy's school project of preparing for an emergency and the whole family gets on board is a nice introduction to getting you house prepped.
I'm not a big FEMA fan, but they did a good job on that series.
To bad the family didn't buy Dad an SKS.......

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here is an approach that worked for me. Slowly send her articles from mainstream new sources she would deem creditable (WSJ, CNN Money, Bloomberg, CNBC). Give her a week or two and she will start asking questions based on the articles. After she starts to understand the situation then bring up the need to beef up your hurricane supplies to greater levels.

My wife thought I was crazy at first.... but six months later she is now suggesting which prep items we should buy next.

Give it time to soak in... try not to overwhelm.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts